The New Am I The Only One Thread

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
The kid just seems to have a lot of issues in his life. That’s kind of what I noticed in all honesty.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
No I feel that entirely! There was one point he caused me to snap, even if what I said also wasn’t cool on my part.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
Am I the only one who just doesn’t see 2021 being any better than this year?

Look. I’m being honest. I don’t. Sure, Trump won’t be president anymore, but the fact that it’s clear we’re still going to have to put up with this covid bull**** says enough. We’re still gonna have to distance. We’re still gonna have to wear masks. Some places we will need appointments just to go in. 🤷🏿‍♂️
Well, I don’t know how it can get worse.
(Crap. I said it. Now it definitely will.)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
That’s where you need to be careful. Drtooth, who used to rule this site with Snowthy and Sarge, once said he was going for therapy, but felt he wouldn’t get anything out of it.
Sure enough, he didn’t.

If you expect 2021 to suck for you, you just guaranteed it will.
Can bad things still happen? Yes, but they don’t have to drag you down.

This year was not the best with politics and riots and chaos. But my health improved.
Today marks seven months I’ve been off dialysis, and almost two years since I was in the hospital. That’s a big victory.

Little Jerry92 got to move out. That’s big stuff.
Always look for the victories in your life.
And when you survive the hard times, you see how much you grew.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Here’s the thing. I get what you’re saying, trust me I do, but when I expect a year to be good, it’s usually the opposite.

2017 and 2018 are both good examples. A lot of **** went down for me in both years. I even had the same expectation for 2019. While it certainly wasn’t a crummy year, it’s one I really don’t miss either for reasons. If it is one thing I can thank 2020 for though, it’s showing me just how stupid people are. Seriously, having a temper tantrum over a piece of cloth?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
when I expect a year to be good, it’s usually the opposite.
I've learned over the years to never trust your instincts, because, as you say, usually the opposite is what ends up happening . . . nine out of ten times, if I have a good feeling about something, then usually something will end up happening that'll spoil and ruin the whole thing. This is why I always say it's always better to assume the worst will happen, because if it does, you're not disappointed; it's a lot better than getting your hopes up over something, but then having to face disappointment.

On the other hand, it is a good feeling when your expectations are low, but then things turn out to be much better than you anticipated - like this September, for example: I was dreading yet another prolonged August spilling into September again, just because that's been the usual story year after year anymore; then it turns out we had the most normal and seasonal September we've had in like nearly a decade . . . I was thrilled, and I thoroughly enjoyed this month! Now I'm dreading the winter season ahead, because all the meteorologists keep forecasting that not only is La Nina going to bring us an incredibly warm and above average winter this season (hmm, that always seems to be the forecast for El Nino too), but they're also forecasting this could be a rare snowless winter for much of us - especially the northeast . . . we hardly had any snow accumulation at all last year, which is odd, even for us . . . I'm still waiting for a nice, big snow, just so I can shoot a snow day short film with Steve that I've had planned since April of 2019!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
But if you don’t have high expectations, it keeps you from trying. That’s a dangerous thing. It leads people to give up, or settle for mediocrity. I’ve spent a good number of years there in my twenties, and it’s not very satisfying.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
"MEDIOCRITY'S NO CRIME, FRANK!!"

But in all seriousness, never let it been said I haven't tried . . . I've been trying since I was still in high school; I've knocked on a lot of doors, only to either barely get my foot through, or the door not even opening at all. More recently, I actually tried writing for a popular animated series - even as a freelance - but it was one of those doors that wouldn't open when I knocked on it, even when I contacted this show's head writer directly to see if their studio had any type of procedure for getting material submitted without it being rejected for being unsolicited material, because I've done this before for another series, and I was actually able to get a script submitted through proper channels, but obviously, it was never used. In hindsight, I'm not disappointed that script wasn't used, though I did have a lot more confidence in my more recent script, and was really hoping to get it submitted, but this clearly isn't going to happen, so that's that.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Well I still applaud you for trying. Nobody likes rejection, nobody likes disappointment, nobody likes failure. I’ve had my share too. Like a decade’s worth.

Yes, it sucks when you try your darndest and things don’t work out. That’s when so many throw in the towel.
Michael Jordan is probably the greatest basketball player ever. But he’s mentioned how many shots he missed, how many free throws he botched, sometimes costing him the game. As great as he is, he wasn’t immune to failure.

it may be cold comfort, but I don’t see you as a failure. To get your puppets on tv, even if it’s just a local spot, that’s more than most people get.