The New Am I The Only One Thread

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
I previously mentioned in a PBS related thread that I didn't really like Between The Lions until I was much older. Well, I also felt that same way about both Shrek and Ice Age. When I was really little, I didn't have any interest in either of those films that are held in high regard amongst computer animated movie fans. Unlike my feeling towards BTL, I wasn't creeped out or disturbed by anything in the movies. The best way to sum up my reaction to them would just simply be,

It wasn't until I was around 11 or 12 years old that my mom somehow persuaded me to give Shrek another chance and I soon came to discover how good of a movie it really is. My aversion towards Ice Age went away when I saw the trailer for Ice Age 3 and well, let's just say I may or may not have found one of the new characters (Scrat's girlfriend) to be quite attractive and wanted to see the movie just because of her. But after viewing Ice Age 3 for the first time, I found out that there's so much more to enjoy than just that one character. Over the next week, I watched the other two movies again for the first time in years and totally loved both. Am I the only one who wasn't able to truly appreciate Shrek and Ice Age until I was well into my tween years?

Oh, and by the way. I didn't have any problem with general CGI either. I remember loving Finding Nemo, Toy Story, Open Season, and several others as a kid (including live action movies that heavily featured CGI like the Star Wars prequels as well). It was just those two for some reason.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
Honestly, I never really cared for Shrek and Ice Age as a kid either.
Like BTL, Shrek grew on me as I got older, but I still don’t really like Ice Age.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Ice Age is one of those franchises where I don’t get why it is still going on. I know that domestic audience is tired of it, but the foreign market isn’t.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As far as SHREK goes, the first did a good job at establishing the characters, settings, and universe, but the second one is one of the greatest sequels ever produced in terms of storytelling, the introduction of new characters, and all points inbetween. The third one was a step down in quality, but if you're looking for a bunch of quick and easy laughs, then you can still enjoy it. The fourth felt like it was ready to end, and I'm glad it did, rather than just keep on going for several more sequels like they were planning to.

As far as ICE AGE goes, the first movie was fun and quirky, but it felt fine as a stand-alone movie. The second one is awful . . . some of the new characters were fun and enjoyable, but the overall movie just falls flat. The third one was okay, but given the timing that it was released when that LAND OF THE LOST remake was as well felt like they were basically just ripping off LOTL. I haven't bothered with any of the others beyond that, and I keep hearing rumors that a sixth movie may be possible.

Any Del

Reaction score
I enjoyed the first two ICE AGE and SHERK movies. The 3rd one(s) and beyond, meh.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Am I the only one who just doesn’t see 2021 being any better than this year?

Look. I’m being honest. I don’t. Sure, Trump won’t be president anymore, but the fact that it’s clear we’re still going to have to put up with this covid bull**** says enough. We’re still gonna have to distance. We’re still gonna have to wear masks. Some places we will need appointments just to go in. 🤷🏿‍♂️

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
If there is something good about this year, a certain member who alienated everyone has so far made good on his word and not come back.

There were times he tried my patience (and that takes some doing). It’s not that his views were bad, but he changed his views depending on how the wind blew.

Stand for something or you’ll fall for anything.