Where are all these classic Sesame Street episodes coming from?

Cookie3001

Reaction score
When Scott started getting rare episodes, I didn't think Out to Lunch would be included. Makes me wonder if he'll get any of the other rare Sesame Street specials (The Jean Marsh Cartoon Special, Sesame Street at Night?, Sesame Street Goes to Puerto Rico).

It's awesome that we now have official confirmation that the Woof-Woof in that episode is in fact Barkley. And to see pictures of Bertha. When I read of her having stringy hair, I visualized something different. I had noticed her in the big crowd at the end of The Muppet Movie, aside from not knowing about her until last year I had wondered who it was (at first I thought it was Guy Smiley, then I think I thought it was the James Frawley Muppet, then I thought it was either the Orange Gold or Pumpkin having an Elvis-like appearance). Makes me wonder if any additional unknown characters spotted in the big crowds in TMM, The Muppets Take Manhattan, or the 30 Years special have actual identities instead of being random AMs.
It would be awesome to see those other rare specials, also I wasn't aware Sesame Street Goes to Puerto Rico was a special, I thought it was just a few episodes

Oscarfan

Reaction score
No, it's not really a "special." It's just the non-insert pieces from the season premiere episode (all the scenes add up to about 26 minutes, so it works perfectly as a half-hour special).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
No, it's not really a "special." It's just the non-insert pieces from the season premiere episode (all the scenes add up to about 26 minutes, so it works perfectly as a half-hour special).
All this time I thought it was footage from the entire first week of the season, not just the premiere.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
If I could have one criticism of Sesame Street, it's that the Muppets didn't appear in the street scenes enough -- to steal a clip from LittleJerry, this is one of my favorites:

This kiss for little bitty Ernie... ****!

Heck, so much of the early years is unknown that maybe there was more stuff like this.

Edit: Or I at least feel like there was a division: it was commonplace to see characters like Big Bird, Oscar, Elmo, Abby, Baby Bear, Zoe, Rosita, etc. on the street, but more of a rarity to see Ernie, Bert, Cookie, Grover and others.
Going back to your discussion on insert Muppets on the street, there are a few more we missed. In the home video "Sesame Street Home Video Visits the Hospital" there is a scene (this counts as a street scene since it has street characters and is in the main story line) whee some of the street residents come and visit Big Bird including Cookie Monster and given the time this was made it's a little weird to see Cookie just pop out of nowhere but it's still cool. He also appeared as one of the main characters in the special "Big Bird's Birthday or Let Me Eat Cake".
Also Ernie appeared on the street twice in the late 80's. The first was in "A Sesame Street Special" (not just as a background character, he had spoken lines) and the second was in the song "Best Friend Blues".

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
This is obscene... you gave me an insane nostalgia rush with this. The last time I must've watched it was when I was like 3 in 1997. I completely forgot about this.

I remember weird stuff like Donahue's microphone... that's what triggered it for me. I didn't even know who he was at the time. I think I fast-forwarded to only the stuff Ernie was in (or really only the stuff that had a Muppet, lol) cause he was my favorite at the time, though I do remember the Grover stairs thing as well.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
This is obscene... you gave me an insane nostalgia rush with this. The last time I must've watched it was when I was like 3 in 1997. I completely forgot about this.

I remember weird stuff like Donahue's microphone... that's what triggered it for me. I didn't even know who he was at the time. I think I fast-forwarded to only the stuff Ernie was in (or really only the stuff that had a Muppet, lol) cause he was my favorite at the time, though I do remember the Grover stairs thing as well.
I remember getting the VHS from the library when I was little and maybe watching it 2 or 3 times, I liked Donahue's segment but the 39 Stairs scared me (I thought the ending was hilarious though) and I hated the Sing Your Synonyms because of the talking artwork but now it's one of my favorite SS specials

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I remember getting the VHS from the library when I was little and maybe watching it 2 or 3 times, I liked Donahue's segment but the 39 Stairs scared me (I thought the ending was hilarious though) and I hated the Sing Your Synonyms because of the talking artwork but now it's one of my favorite SS specials
I was also scared of the 39 Stairs... But I was really just scared by the ending, mainly when Grover talked from off-screen. Don't know why I was scared by that. I don't remember seeing Upstairs Downstairs as a kid (though its last airing did come after I was born and after I started remembering more things), I wonder if I was/would have been scared of his off-camera line at the end of that one as well.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
I was also scared of the 39 Stairs... But I was really just scared by the ending, mainly when Grover talked from off-screen. Don't know why I was scared by that. I don't remember seeing Upstairs Downstairs as a kid (though its last airing did come after I was born and after I started remembering more things), I wonder if I was/would have been scared of his off-camera line at the end of that one as well.
the reason he was off camera at the end was because Frank Oz was doing Cookie Monster and it was supposed to look like Grover had fallen on the floor and could not get up, also I should have mentioned that the Cookie Monster footage was re filmed when the sketch was released on video since early airings featured scenes with Cookie's pipe. What scared me the most though was the suspence music and scenes with Grover's shadow

Cookie3001

Reaction score
Going back to your discussion on insert Muppets on the street, there are a few more we missed. In the home video "Sesame Street Home Video Visits the Hospital" there is a scene (this counts as a street scene since it has street characters and is in the main story line) whee some of the street residents come and visit Big Bird including Cookie Monster and given the time this was made it's a little weird to see Cookie just pop out of nowhere but it's still cool. He also appeared as one of the main characters in the special "Big Bird's Birthday or Let Me Eat Cake".
Also Ernie appeared on the street twice in the late 80's. The first was in "A Sesame Street Special" (not just as a background character, he had spoken lines) and the second was in the song "Best Friend Blues".
I should have also mentioned that in Cookie's appearance in "Sesame Street Visits the Hospital" (according to Muppet Wiki) Frank Oz only did Cookie's voice and he isn't credited

Cookie3001

Reaction score
so this is premiering on Friday at 12:30
this is movie parodies through the years, I'm not going to get my hopes up and I know I keep coming back to this but Episode 847 had a plot that somewhat parodied The Wizard of Oz so we might possibly get to see part of that episode. I know it's not likely but where there is life there is hope