The Old Cartoon Network Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I was looking through an old tape of mine that was mostly of local broadcasts of THE BULLWINKLE SHOW, but also had some old CN stuff mixed on it as well, and I came across something I totally forgot about: who remembers JBVO? Johnny Bravo's show where kids called in to request specific cartoons and he'd play them? I remember as a kid wondering just what kind of technical wizardry CN had that enabled kids to speak an actual animated cartoon character on live TV . . . it never occurred to me that, more than likely, the phone calls were probably pre-recorded, with kids probably speaking to Jeff Bennett in-character as Johnny, and then later set to some stock animation. I seem to recall there was one occasion where some kid called in, rambling on about Pepe Le Pew chasing after other female animals, and Johnny's just sitting there at his desk playing with a paddle ball, since that kid wouldn't shut up.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I remember Scooby was Johnny's sidekick, am I correct?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I . . . don't remember if Johnny had a sidekick, TBH.

Any Del

Reaction score
I remember JBVO especially the one where a kid called to see a cartoon with a dog and people in it and it showed a Courage episode. I was really excited.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Coincidentally, the recording I came across was a Courage episode, specifically "Journey to the Center of Nowhere." It would appear I taped it before I could get a chance to tape the full episode of it paired with "Revenge of the Chicken from Outer Space." Not sure if it's the same call, because the only indication I have of it being JBVO is over the title card, you can hear a kid's voice saying bye, and Johnny responding with, "Bye, baby!"

Kind of makes me wonder though how CN came up with a concept like JBVO in the first place . . . in hindsight, it seems like such a random concept for a show

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Curious to hear people's opinion on which era of Tom and Jerry they liked. I personally like the Tom and Jerry segments from the Hanna-Barbera and Chuck Jones era.
Pretty much the same. Anything afterwards is just hit and miss with me.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Dude, Jody Gray has been wanting to put out an official Courage soundtrack since the 2000s, but nothing ever happens! I agree though; between his music for Courage, as well as Guy Moon's for Cow and Chicken, those are among some of my favorite cartoon music scorings ever.
Is there a reason behind this? Like music rights issues perhaps?