The Old Cartoon Network Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
A lot of shows like Rocko have been having previously-banned episodes resurface in recent years, whether on DVD or even in reruns . . . and not only that, but it's clear that networks like Nick and even Cartoon Network support the LGBT community now . . . so, with that said, it seems to me like CN should finally lift the ban from that infamous "Buffalo Gals" episode of COW AND CHICKEN with all those lesbian stereotypes already.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Somebody was asking me about this, which I don't really know the answer on:

The clip has Cartoon Network ending and switching over to TNT.

So did TNT sometimes have special block previews for Cartoon Network, for those whose cable providers didn't carry Cartoon Network? I know Nick at Nite sometimes had special marathons of TV Land programming, and Cartoon Network had a Boomerang block in the very early hours of Saturday morning.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge - and this is just based on some ancient tapes I have - I don't know that for certain, however, I do remember that both TNT and TBS would broadcast cartoon programming that would later air on the earlier years of Cartoon Network - mostly Turner-owned/controlled properties like Looney Tunes and such. IIRC, TBS was the original network for 2 STUPID DOGS during its inaugural run.

Katzi428

Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge - and this is just based on some ancient tapes I have - I don't know that for certain, however, I do remember that both TNT and TBS would broadcast cartoon programming that would later air on the earlier years of Cartoon Network - mostly Turner-owned/controlled properties like Looney Tunes and such. IIRC, TBS was the original network for 2 STUPID DOGS during its inaugural run.
Boomerang has Looney Tunes cartoons. Plus they have The Jetsons & Garfield . (If you're interested in watching "The Flintstones" , Me TV has that . It'd be interesting for MeTV to have a Saturday morning filled w/ old school cartoons such as Looney Tunes . )

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I was thinking today about how certain animators and creators who have worked for Cartoon Network eventually went on to have really stellar careers in the animation industry, while others ended up fading into obscurity.

For example, the likes of Genndy Tartakovsky and Craig McCracken went on to have a number of successful animated series not just for Cartoon Network, but other studios as well, after DEXTER'S LABORATORY and THE POWERPUFF GIRLS brought them some notority and recognition . . . in the case of Genndy, he's now with Sony Pictures Animation, as is David Feiss, who created COW AND CHICKEN and I AM WEASEL.

But then, you've got the likes of Danny Antonucci and John R. Dilworth, both of whom have yet to be able to get another mainstream project off the ground, in spite of the popularity that they enjoyed from ED, EDD N EDDY and COURAGE THE COWARDLY DOG. I know they both have cult followings, and I can kind of see why some networks and studios are a little apprehensive about picking up anything from Dilworth, but with EEE being one of CN's biggest smash hits, you'd think Antonucci wouldn't have so much trouble getting someone to take a chance with a new project from him.

Then again, one of the biggest differences here is that Tartakovsky, McCracken, and Feiss were insiders who worked directly for the studios and networks, whether it was Hanna-Barbera, Turner, or Cartoon Network itself; Antonucci and Dilworth, on the other hand, were outsiders who mostly did and still do independent work.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
According to TV Tropes, which information may or may not be accurate, one possible reason MIKE, LU & OG didn't last too long was probably due to a falling out between the three co-creators over whom among them was considered the true creator of the show. That distinction generally went to Chuck Swenson, because he developed the characters, and wrote most of the episodes, however, one co-creator designed the characters as well as the overall look and style of the show, while the other co-creator produced and ran the show.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's something else I just recently learned that's actually pretty interesting. Remember back in the day, CN often aired a lot of their own short content such as Groovies, Shorties, and other original short subjects like that SURVIVOR parody Staylongers, or that series involving Cow and Chicken vacationing in Japan? Apparently, this was because back in those days, CN actually wasn't able to get a lot of actual corporate advertising or sponsorships, so they produced a lot of that content to help fill up the dead air during commercial breaks that they couldn't fill with actual commercials.