The New Am I The Only One Thread

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Alchohol ruined my dad’s life. As long as my kidneys held up, I enjoyed having a drink. But I knew all too well the pit my dad fell into.
Some people can be happy drunk. Some can be falling down drunk. My dad was the angry violent drunk.
It turned him into a monster. I used to worry the same thing could happen to me.
In my twenties I was pretty angry, but only one time I was actually violent. And that scared the crap out of me.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I’m the happy drunk from my experience, but otherwise I do not partake in drinking unless it’s New Years Eve or st Patrick’s day. Not worth destroying the liver.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
It saddens me a little. At. Patrick’s Day is to commemorate when St. Patrick brought Christianity to Ireland. But a lot of people use the day as an excuse to get drunk. Same with Cinco de Mayo. It has nothing to do with Mexico’s independence, but let’s get blitzed on Margaritas.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
As a fellow Irish man I do appreciate the holiday for what it is. But yeah, other folks do just use the holiday as an excuse to get drunk.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Am I the only one who just......... doesn’t take losing something well?

Like, I get no one or nothing loves/lasts forever, but honestly, if I become attached to someone/something, it just feels like someone stabbing a knife in my back while twisting and laughing maniacally. I’m not someone who is never grateful until it’s gone, no, I’m always grateful for the stuff and people that make me feel good. But frankly, with the recent loss of basically my childhood flash games that I now have to use special ports to access again and the loss of my grandma on my dad’s side (literally 8 months after my grandma on my mom’s side passed away), I just find the older I get the more grumpier I become on the inside even if I might not always show it. While I do try and always look on the bright side of things, there are days I just find myself thinking “wow, life really likes to **** with me, doesn’t it?”

At the end of the day I get life is a *****. I get that. But there are days where it almost feels like I’m just slowly evolving into Oscar the older I get and the more I lose something or someone I love. Like I’m really hoping I don’t end up just becoming some bitter old man if I’m lucky to make it to 60.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've lost so much over the years, I've just basically had to rewire my mind to not really develop much sentimentality towards materialistic objects, because, as you say, nothing lasts forever.

When it comes to people or other living things, that's a different story, depending on how well I knew or had established a relationship with them . . . for example, I was never particularly close to my grandmother, so when she passed away a few years ago, I honestly didn't feel much of a loss . . . but to this day, I still miss my last bunny, and she had to be put down well over a decade ago.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I get that. Like the honest truth is when my step grandpa on my dad’s side passes away, it really isn’t going to be a big loss for me, especially with how much of a prick he has become over the years.

Like he basically divided my dad’s side of the family in the holidays of 2018 after some issues going on between him and my grandma.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Am I the only one who just......... doesn’t take losing something well?

Like, I get no one or nothing loves/lasts forever, but honestly, if I become attached to someone/something, it just feels like someone stabbing a knife in my back while twisting and laughing maniacally. I’m not someone who is never grateful until it’s gone, no, I’m always grateful for the stuff and people that make me feel good. But frankly, with the recent loss of basically my childhood flash games that I now have to use special ports to access again and the loss of my grandma on my dad’s side (literally 8 months after my grandma on my mom’s side passed away), I just find the older I get the more grumpier I become on the inside even if I might not always show it. While I do try and always look on the bright side of things, there are days I just find myself thinking “wow, life really likes to **** with me, doesn’t it?”

At the end of the day I get life is a *****. I get that. But there are days where it almost feels like I’m just slowly evolving into Oscar the older I get and the more I lose something or someone I love. Like I’m really hoping I don’t end up just becoming some bitter old man if I’m lucky to make it to 60.
Losing people will always hurt. Back in 2015, my wife lost both parents within six months of each other.
My dad was no bargain. Even though he died in 2008, it took me a few years to get over that.
Things, I never had much trouble of getting over the loss of things. Only when I had my hair cut.
To some degree, there is a point in life where you have to leave childhood behind and move into adulthood. It’s different for everyone, but something tells you “it’s time to grow up”.
Again, I don’t know exactly when or where the line be gets crossed. For me, probably graduating college at 22.

I don’t know if this helps, but having memories makes the transition a little easier.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I get transitioning from one point in life to another, I do get that. But at least if something from the past still exists, that’s the fun of at least revisiting something in moderation so you can enjoy something you once loved, rather than just flat out being like “sorry, this no longer exists, nothing more than an old memory.”

At the end of the day I do move on, but it isn’t something I can just move on from overnight. I know people who are just flat out afraid of growing up and they’re folks I refuse to associate with.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
In regards to my mention of the online flash games, I think this is why many people close to my age were pretty angry Adobe discontinued flash. Not because they were hardcore gamers who had no other life, but because they liked revisiting old websites they went on to when they were kids to relive the moments in moderation when they have time to themselves.

It’s like when Club Penguin shut down. I never got into the game, but I understand why a lot of folks were upset when it happened.