Muppets' Wizard of Oz cast list

pppapazo

Reaction score
I can recognize and appreciate why the absinthe reference bothers you, but I don't mind it much, mostly because most adults (and almost no children) know what absinthe is. Sure, some kids might make the alcohol connection, but between the El Sleazo Cafe and the restaurant where Kermit and Piggy had dinner, the Muppet Movie had plenty of consumption too.

I know that you feeling like you're being attacked, and I personally didn't mean for my posts to come off that way. Still, I think you underestimate how much of the original Muppet Show was adult humor. Janice talked about nudity in both GMC and TMTM. So did Sam in what is perhaps his most famous moment, the nudity speech from the Muppet Show. He also did a duet with Rowlf of Gilbert & Sullivan's "*** Willow," which isn't inherently dirty (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a ***-willow is a kind of bird) but is definitely played as such in context.

I've also watched VMX with my younger cousins, and they enjoy it quite a bit, so I think it depends on the child. Everyone knows their children best, though, and I'd never recommend showing them something that you don't approve of or think they're ready for.

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
pppapazo said:
I can recognize and appreciate why the absinthe reference bothers you, but I don't mind it much, mostly because most adults (and almost no children) know what absinthe is. Sure, some kids might make the alcohol connection, but between the El Sleazo Cafe and the restaurant where Kermit and Piggy had dinner, the Muppet Movie had plenty of consumption too.

I know that you feeling like you're being attacked, and I personally didn't mean for my posts to come off that way. Still, I think you underestimate how much of the original Muppet Show was adult humor. Janice talked about nudity in both GMC and TMTM. So did Sam in what is perhaps his most famous moment, the nudity speech from the Muppet Show. He also did a duet with Rowlf of Gilbert & Sullivan's "*** Willow," which isn't inherently dirty (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a ***-willow is a kind of bird) but is definitely played as such in context.

I've also watched VMX with my younger cousins, and they enjoy it quite a bit, so I think it depends on the child. Everyone knows their children best, though, and I'd never recommend showing them something that you don't approve of or think they're ready for.
Again I appreciate every thing that you have said and agree with all of your points. I also know of the ***-willow that you are talking about. To me the difference is that there is nothing to indicate that it is dirty or sexual, meaning PePe is not talking about topless dancing before the song starts up. Meaning that it is subtle, yet adult so it goes harmlessly over a kids head. And again I say that depending on the child and how he or she has been raised.

Sam’s monologue about nudity is very funny, but again I stress the context of that speech. What child does not know that underneath there close they are naked; the nudity is not being exploited. If Sam began talking about nudity, and naked dancers that is a bit different, and again this reference will go over a young Childs head...depending. El-Sleezo and the Dinner Piggy and Kermit have involved alcohol, but look at what is also being portrayed with it.

El-Sleezo is a great example of the evils of Alcohol, and even Kermit avoids it there, especially when pressured to buy a lady a drink. It is completely different to have Kermit come up to the bar and order a double scotch, (or to have Johnny accuse him of being drunk). Later on when Kermit and Piggy have there dinner together Steve Martin keeps the focus by spitting out the wine because it is so bad. Piggy a total hog gulps it down, feels bubbly, but snaps out of it as soon as her agent calls. They are having a social drink together, we do not see Kermit and Piggy get loaded and then go to bed together, nor are there any indicators that would ever happen. So again I stress the focus and the motivation, in IACMMC it is a lot more in your face, meaning those few jokes that were over the kids head and subtle on The Muppet Show, are now directed right at the kids, in your face. And that level of morality seems to be lost.

Now I have talked this to death, I have tried to express to you that I can see your point of view and agree with the points you have made. So I hope we can get back to Muppets Wizard of OZ now.

Mario

Reaction score
I can't believe that Swedish Chef doesn't have any speaking roles! Why even have him in the movie? I mean all he has to do is mumble once in awhile and it would make the scene, lol. :smile:

T

timrikthegorf

Kermit looks at a funny green root beer and you think he's telling kids they should do drugs? I thought it was just a magical soda and I'm 20! Kids are NOT going to make these crazy connections. I'm sorry, but you are WAY too sensative. Seriously, YOU see the connection because you already know about it, I didn't know about it at all and didn't make the connection. It would stand to reason that kids who do not kow about it would also not make the connection.

Seriously, just stop it.

As for stuff going over kids heads, what about Fozzie nestly his head next to Rachel Welch's head as she calls him sexy? What about all the muppet guys going gaga over her? The show always had adul;t themes and they are always done in a similar way. Jonny asking if Kermit is drunk is not going to destroy the society as we know it. Kids aren't going to run into the streets with a beer in one hand and a stripper in the other. Seriously, get a grip. This is what patrents are for. If one scene with Kermit talking about (not even drinking!) a funny green ROOT BEERl makes a child abuse drugs and alcohol after years of their parents teaching them otherwise there is a real problem with the parents of that child. I find your argument to be totally void of any real point.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Wow come to think of it i do rember it being root beer. caues i found it kind of funny they way kermit looked when he said it. Yea i also think your taking this thing way way to far my friend. it will be ok. just relaxe some ok.

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Shut UP!

timrikthegorf said:
Kermit looks at a funny green root beer and you think he's telling kids they should do drugs? I thought it was just a magical soda and I'm 20! Kids are NOT going to make these crazy connections. I'm sorry, but you are WAY too sensative. Seriously, YOU see the connection because you already know about it, I didn't know about it at all and didn't make the connection. It would stand to reason that kids who do not kow about it would also not make the connection.

Seriously, just stop it.

As for stuff going over kids heads, what about Fozzie nestly his head next to Rachel Welch's head as she calls him sexy? What about all the muppet guys going gaga over her? The show always had adul;t themes and they are always done in a similar way. Jonny asking if Kermit is drunk is not going to destroy the society as we know it. Kids aren't going to run into the streets with a beer in one hand and a stripper in the other. Seriously, get a grip. This is what patrents are for. If one scene with Kermit talking about (not even drinking!) a funny green ROOT BEERl makes a child abuse drugs and alcohol after years of their parents teaching them otherwise there is a real problem with the parents of that child. I find your argument to be totally void of any real point.
I would suggest that you go back and read the other posts on this subject, before you fire your mouth off like a loose cannon. As a matter of fact I do have kids, and I would like to believe that I am raising them right. The kinds of questions that I was blasted with after watching IAVMMC with them was shocking! I do not expect the younger generation to undestan about Moral Standards because with the Dawn of the '90's they have been fading away along with family values. So of course you would find my argument way off base, not to mention the fact that (if you can read) I have allready agreed with the fact that the original Muppet Show did have adult elements. The difference was the focus, the connection between the characters, and Jim Hensons moral standards.

As I have allready said I have talked this to death and look forward to discussing Muppets Wizard of OZ.

Thank you

T

timrikthegorf

Ok, tell me what morality is. You apprently know what is and is not moral. Tell me the nature of all things moral. Obviously you know the nature of all things moral or else you wouldn't know when something is not moral. And questions from kids are what being a parent is all about. It's your job to answer them. It's also your job to view any and all programs and movies before you let your kids watch them. Don't get mad at the muppets because you let your kids watch a movie you knew nothing about.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Guys, please drop it. Sometimes it's best to agree to disagree and move on. This discussion has become personal and is against the forum rules. If this or other topics from you guys get out of hand appropriate action will be taken, including possible suspension of your accounts.

Read the Forum Rules here...
http://forum.muppetcentral.com/announcement.php?f=2

Let's get back to talking about specifics concerning the Muppets' Wizard of Oz.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well i would like to clear the air and say im sorry if i ofened anyone. The problem with fan web sites chat rooms and forums is people can tend to get a little cocky. im a really big person who can do this. I/m not calling anyone else in here coky just saying that it can sometimes happen. espcaly with me. But i am also easly to forgive and let live. so i hope we all can still be friends and fans together. :smile:

"The Boss would want it that way" :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
Where did you read this interveiw?

(And how cool to have Incredibles composer doing Muppets! Maybe Disney is beign helpful...)
Back on the subject of WoO.

Does anyone know anymore about this interveiw?