Muppets' Wizard of Oz cast list

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Muppets Oz

I actually posted some more detailed comments in another thread here at Muppet central. But I appreciate this opportunity to sort of eat my own words.

As many of you know I have been very critical of the Muppets, especially there more recent productions, and I was feeling pretty low about this New Muppet Wizard of Oz story. For the past 10-12 years I have collected, studied, and read the original Oz books by L. Frank Bum and his predecessors. When I began hearing about Muppets OZ, I was very disappointed, the clips of the trailer I saw confirmed my disappointment and my fears, there was no way that this Muppets Oz Would live up to the book I knew and loved so well.

But I listened to all the positive things folks had to say here, and so I decide I would watch the film. In fact I was actually very excited about it. So there I was at the age of 29, sitting Indian style on the floor in front of the TV with a big bowl of popcorn. The only time I left the room was to go to the bathroom on the commercials, I watched the entire film, and in fact it was great!

Now was it fantastic, no it was not, but it was so good I can hardly wait for the DVD! In a strange and twisted Muppet kind of way the story really does fallow the book really very closely. The Voices were really great, Scooter sounded so close I would say it was so close he has actually grown younger. Sam as many of you know is one of my favorites voice was really good, in fact I would say it was as good as when I do his voice and that is top notch. The Frank Oz joke was timed perfectly, and did not mind that it was Kermit who asked and not Fozzie. The story was good, at the very heart of it all they did get the message across that home is where the heart is, and there is more to life than fame and fortune. Miss Piggy was great as the witches, but I had wished that Gonzo was not a robot but more of a tin man.....I mean thing.....but that was ok....he still gets his heart in the end.

So gang I owe you all an apology, it seems that I was wrong, and I am sorry for perhaps the overly critical comments I had made earlier. But I will say this, there is still room for Muppet improvement, and I think that is very good, very, very good indeed.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
comparing the originally announced cast list with the final product is interresting. there are characters who were said to have not had any lines in the movie but did, there wre characters listed as being in the movie who didn't appear. there were also characters listed with having performers who didn't talk. I am not sure if any of this has to do with deleted scenes or soemthing else. but i thought i would make comparrisions.

characters who were listed with performers but didn't talk: bean bunny, rowlf, floyd, janice and zoot.

characters who were ommitted from the script who did have lines: crazy harry, the swedish chef, old tom, real old tom, aretha, angel marie and mulch.

characters who were said to have been in the movie who i didn't see in the movie: lew zeland, blind pew, bobo and crasher.

there was another character listed, calico jack, but I do not know who he is, unless he was the purple man who also appeared in muppet treasure island.

characters who weren't mentioned who did appear: chip, zippety zap, bubba the rat and zhondra (i think she appeared dancing at poppyfields, but i couldn't tell if that was her or not).

can anybody tell me who performed mulch and bubba in this movie? bubba sounded different from how he sounded in muppets from space, and mulch obviously sounded different from how he sounded on muppets tonight!

bill barretta probably performed dr. teeth so that john kennedy could perform floyd, but floyd didn't talk. could there have been some deleted stuff with jphn kennedy as floyd? after all, it would be ridiculous to replace the performer of one character just so that the usual performer can perform somebody who didn't speak.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
bill barretta probably performed dr. teeth so that john kennedy could perform floyd, but floyd didn't talk. could there have been some deleted stuff with jphn kennedy as floyd? after all, it would be ridiculous to replace the performer of one character just so that the usual performer can perform somebody who didn't speak.
Actually John has performed different members of the electric mayhem Floyd is his 3rd one before that he was Dr. Teeth in Muppets from space, and after that Animal. And Floyd needed a new performer because Jerry has retired from the Muppet characters.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Like, yeah, but if Floyd didn't speak, why bother shifting John to him?

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
My take on the whole thing is probably not as informed as all of you. I think on Muppets central it does indicate that the DVD will have about 20 minutes of added material, so there may have been more speaking with the E.M. Band. The shifting of performers has always been done with the Muppets, I mean Jim and Frank Performed so many Muppets, what if Piggy and Fozie had to be in the same shot and speak to each other, and the voices were often dubbed in later.

Now I may be way off base and if I am tell me to shut up and I will. As for the cast list, I felt that was just a general, working list to give us a flavor of who would be in the film. But not in no way a representation of what was to be the final film. I am guessing a lot of it has to do with availability of performers, time restraints, and production deadlines.
:big_grin:

MWoO

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
Like, yeah, but if Floyd didn't speak, why bother shifting John to him?

1. Probably because John will play Floyd with speaking parts in the future so they decided to switch him now rather than later. i mean, someone had to play Floyd anway.

2. Perhaps Floyd had speaking parts i the movie and it was cut for time.

3. Maybe they arem essing with us.