Learn Something New Everyday Thread

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
I said it before, but for me, I gave up on Family Guy by season 8. Seasons 6/7 I feel like started to show some problems (my main one being that Brian was just such a desperate dog trying to get his **** wet), but season 8 is where I was just fed up.

Getting rid of Cleveland (who I knew would come back once the show was over), making Quagmire super ooc, etc.
I think that the worst bit they've done on the show so far is probably the one where they made fun of how Michael J. Fox has Parkinson's Disease. That one literally made my mouth drop wide opened. Normally I laugh at their offensive jokes, but that was just too much. It was one of the few of their intentionally offensive gags that made me feel uncomfortable rather than laugh at how absurdly outrageous they are. The only other ones that made me cringe like that being the forementioned Terri Schiavo bit and the one about Rocky Dennis, which I can excuse because I don't think the writers knew he was a real person. They even stated that they thought he was just a movie character.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
I think that the worst bit they've done on the show so far is probably the one where they made fun of how Michael J. Fox has Parkinson's Disease. That one literally made my mouth drop wide opened. Normally I laugh at their offensive jokes, but that was just too much. It was one of the few of their intentionally offensive gags that made me feel uncomfortable rather than laugh at how absurdly outrageous they are. The only other ones that made me cringe like that being the forementioned Terri Schiavo bit and the one about Rocky Dennis, which I can excuse because I don't think the writers knew he was a real person. They even stated that they thought he was just a movie character.
But when it comes to those little non-sequitir cutaway jokes they do I think that the worst bit they've done on the show so far is probably the one where they made fun of how Michael J. Fox has Parkinson's Disease. That one literally made my mouth drop wide opened. Normally I laugh at their offensive jokes, but that was just too much. It was one of the few of their intentionally offensive gags that made me feel uncomfortable rather than laugh at how absurdly outrageous they are. The only other ones that made me cringe like that being the forementioned Terri Schiavo bit, the joke where Elizabeth Smart (who was a real life rape victim) got mocked via cutaway, and the one about Rocky Dennis, which I can excuse because I don't think the writers knew he was a real person. They even stated that they thought he was just a made up movie character. I don't care when they make fun of celebrities in a kidding way but when they make it personal like that is when it kind of ticks me off.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Today I learned the morbid reason why barber shop poles are red and white swirled.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Apparently in Medieval times, barbers would also do surgery and dentistry, and the red and white swirled pole represents the bloody bandages of their patients.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
I watched the film "Good-Bye Christopher Robin" and learned tons of new things about the real life Christopher Robin. For example, the character of Christopher Robin was written into the famous Winnie the Pooh children's book by his father without his permission. Poor Christopher never asked to be included in Winnie the Pooh and becoming that famous at a young age was quite the struggle for him. He couldn't go anywhere without being bombarded by crowds asking him all kinds of questions, the character caused him to become a target of bullies at school, he received a ridiculous amount of fan mail and fan letters nearly every day that he could barely keep up with, and the Dad that he once enjoyed playing and hanging out with was now too busy with his writing to spend time with him. I was almost holding back tears in one scene where Christopher said something to his father along the lines of,
"I miss the days when Winnie the Pooh was MY bear and every other kid's favorite bear. Those wonderful days when we would play with Winnie out in the woods and tell stories about him are now gone. I wish he was still just a part of our little father son game and not some worldwide famous character,". It almost breaks your heart to hear things like that.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
more like they were independent projects founded by the same man but yeah apparently? I had to look this up myself because that sounded like of those 'sounds fake but ok' things