Learn Something New Everyday Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've been wanting to do a thread like this for a long time, but it's always slipped my mind, until now.

You ever have moments where you find out something you didn't know before, and you find yourself thinking, "Huh, learn something new everyday"? Yeah, here's my latest one:

So, my DVD Recorder has the capability to display jpeg images on CDs and such, however, for some reason, I noticed a few images I saved to a CD weren't showing up at all (a red slashed circled would display for a second before skipping to the next image)... I didn't understand why, they weren't that large, pixelwise or filewise, or anything like that, in fact, they were about the size as other images I had on the CD that had no problems being played on the recorder. I got out the owner's manual to troubleshoot the problem, and saw a note that said if the image is saved as a "progressive" jpeg, it won't play. I didn't even know anything about this stuff; I found this image editing program called IrfanView that actually tells you what kind of image the file is, so I downloaded it, opened those troubled pics, checked on the properties/information, and sure enough, they were all "progressive"... so, I just resaved them by unchecking progressive in the save as menu, replaced them on the CD, popped it in the recorder, and sure enough, they work now.

So yeah. There's something new I learned about jpeg images... not exactly sure how they're saved as progressive, or what makes them progressive, but eh... I guess I probably could have saved myself a lot of trouble by bugging Sarge, but I think I've bugged her enough about my technological gaffes to last her an enternity (what with her being an immortal bat/demon/ghost/thing).

AquaGGR

Reaction score
I learned that if the entire world population fit inside Texas, it would still be less crowded than New York City. :confused:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Meanwhile, New Yorkers always insist that there are no crowds, it's just "life in the big city".

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ever since Sarge taught us the word "fangasm", it's become an irregular part of my not-quite-everyday vocabulary.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Did you know that if you go to any article on Wikipedia, and keep clicking the first hyper-linked word in the article that is not in italics or inside parentheses, and keep repeating this, eventually you'll be taken to the page for "Philosophy"?