COVID-19 Coronavirus News and Updates

MWoO

Reaction score
So in NYC pretty much all online grocery delivery services are totally booked for weeks on end. Fresh Direct, which only allows you to book 7 days ahead, has all 7 day ahead time slots filled up the second midnight hits. It is impossible for them to keep up with the demand now. Luckily, for me this is more of an inconvenience than a crippling blow, but for others I can imagine this may be life threatening. Elderly and disabled people rely on delivery services and are likely to go without for some time.

For me, this will pretty much mean no fresh fruit or vegetables for awhile. Luckily I have some supply for at least a week or two of fresh I can cook and freeze. Plus I have a fair supply of rice, beans, frozen milk and citrus juice, tofu, salmon, etc. A lot of which I had stocked up on before any of this just because it is good to have just in case. Looks like "just in case" finally happened. I won't starve or anything, but it will make meal planning rather difficult.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Here's our curve since the virus first began being confirmed in my county:
Good luck and stay healthy. This fits the pattern of many other areas from what I understand. The number of cases and the curve go up slowly and then it explodes overnight. Hopefully your new cases today aren't as bad.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Another thing to take into consideration too is that whenever we try to resume our normal, everyday lives again, that's going to allow the virus to start spreading all over again, and we'll be back to square one - this is exactly what's happened to China.
Do you have a link to the story about China? I've been limiting the amount of CORVID-19 news I consume in order to stay sane and haven't seen this. Thanks

And once we do open up society again new cases are expected until we either build up a herd immunity or develop a vaccine. The key is to manage it. And no, it won't be like starting at square one as many people would already have had it and developed immunity. We do need to develop, manufacture and distribute tests to everyone so we know how widespread it is. We also need to test everyone for antibodies so we know how many people have had it.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
This is from the NY Times:

Four benchmarks for a return to normalcy

How do officials know when it’s time to reopen public spaces and start to bring life back to normal? Researchers recently outlined some markers:​

1. Hospitals must be able to safely treat all patients requiring hospitalization, without resorting to crisis standards of care. That means having adequate beds, ventilators and staff.​

2. The authorities must be able to test everyone who has symptoms, and to get reliable results quickly. That would be well more than 750,000 tests a week in the U.S.​

3. Health agencies must be able to monitor confirmed cases, trace contacts of the infected, and have at-risk people go into isolation or quarantine.​

4. There must be a sustained reduction in cases for at least 14 days, because it can take that long for symptoms to appear.​

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
They say this week should be the biggest spike in deaths. But as far as per capita,(the number of deaths per million people) we’re still far below Italy, France, and Spain.

The closest I ever saw to this, 1976, I was eight. The was a huge outbreak of swine flu, and then-president Ford ordered mandatory immunization. My dad took the three of us kids down to the local armory. This was right before Christmas 1976. It was freezing cold, and the armory was filled with sick patients, and we had to move past them to get our shots.
We stood in line, they made us roll up our arm, rub it with alchohol, and instead of syringes, they had these things that looked like machine guns, you hold them up to your arm, they pull the trigger, and BAM! You’re immunized. Lots of kids crying because it hurt like the dickens.
The scene wasn’t even like M*A*S*H. This was like being in Occupied France in World War One. I hope when a vaccine does come out, it will be better than seeing people dying in front of you.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Do you have a link to the story about China? I've been limiting the amount of CORVID-19 news I consume in order to stay sane and haven't seen this. Thanks
I'm guessing it must have been more misinformation, because now everything I'm finding about it is that they don't have a second outbreak in China at the moment, but, they fear another could be imminent.

The closest I ever saw to this, 1976, I was eight. The was a huge outbreak of swine flu, and then-president Ford ordered mandatory immunization. My dad took the three of us kids down to the local armory. This was right before Christmas 1976. It was freezing cold, and the armory was filled with sick patients, and we had to move past them to get our shots.
We stood in line, they made us roll up our arm, rub it with alchohol, and instead of syringes, they had these things that looked like machine guns, you hold them up to your arm, they pull the trigger, and BAM! You’re immunized. Lots of kids crying because it hurt like the dickens.
The scene wasn’t even like M*A*S*H.
Yeah, the last time I saw an immunization scene on M*A*S*H, Hawkeye and Margaret were giving each other flu shots: Margaret took hers in the arm, but Hawkeye insisted taking his in the butt . . . just as Radar walked in. "Sirs? Excuse me, I'm sorry!"

cjd874

Reaction score
You sure you didn’t mean to say August?
Well I'm 90% sure that the schools in my state won't be reopening, even though we have yet to receive word from our governor.

However, if the quarantine goes on for more than six months...this will be me. Can't speak for the rest of humanity, though:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I dont have any proof of this, but according to my mom, one of her friend's family members died from medical complications completely unrelated to the virus, but the hospital still put the cause of death as the virus. From a financial standpoint, if hospitals exaggerate the actual amount of virus deaths, they can get more funding.

If that's true, that's really scummy and also proves you can't listen to numbers. But it also wouldnt surprise me if its true.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I dont have any proof of this, but according to my mom, one of her friend's family members died from medical complications completely unrelated to the virus, but the hospital still put the cause of death as the virus. From a financial standpoint, if hospitals exaggerate the actual amount of virus deaths, they can get more funding.

If that's true, that's really scummy and also proves you can't listen to numbers. But it also wouldnt surprise me if its true.
Sorry for your loss.