COVID-19 Coronavirus News and Updates

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I dont have any proof of this, but according to my mom, one of her friend's family members died from medical complications completely unrelated to the virus, but the hospital still put the cause of death as the virus. From a financial standpoint, if hospitals exaggerate the actual amount of virus deaths, they can get more funding.

If that's true, that's really scummy and also proves you can't listen to numbers. But it also wouldnt surprise me if its true.
Also goes to show you how flawed the America for-profit healthcare system is.

cjd874

Reaction score
So just asking out of curiosity: how can universal/free health care be implemented here? I am aware that many countries have a free health care system (EXCEPT America), but I haven't looked into how their systems work.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Someone at my dad's work just got tested for coronavirus and the results came back positive, so he'll be taking some time off from work because of that.
Oof, wishing all the best for him.

I dont have any proof of this, but according to my mom, one of her friend's family members died from medical complications completely unrelated to the virus, but the hospital still put the cause of death as the virus. From a financial standpoint, if hospitals exaggerate the actual amount of virus deaths, they can get more funding.

If that's true, that's really scummy and also proves you can't listen to numbers. But it also wouldnt surprise me if its true.
My love goes out to you for your loss 💕

cjd874

Reaction score
Someone at my dad's work just got tested for coronavirus and the results came back positive, so he'll be taking some time off from work because of that.
Sorry to hear that! Hope he recovers soon.
I dont have any proof of this, but according to my mom, one of her friend's family members died from medical complications completely unrelated to the virus, but the hospital still put the cause of death as the virus.
So sorry for your loss.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score

We were just talking about this at work this morning. Coworker's sister is in the medical field and hospitals do get extra funding for COVID-19 patients. I read somewhere on the internet that if you look at the number of deaths from pneumonia this year compared to other years it is way down. Those pneumonia deaths are now being classified from COVID-19. I'm skeptical of that claim as I am of anything you read on the internet. But it's got my curiosity peaked

Oscarfan

Reaction score
They're reporting our state's curve is beginning to flatten, and it'll be maybe a month until we see the result of it. So, I guess that's good. Our town's cases have been going up, but they've yet to even hit 100 yet (out of 10,000+ residents).

I also caught a cold, which considering the circumstances, could be a lot worse.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
So just asking out of curiosity: how can universal/free health care be implemented here? I am aware that many countries have a free health care system (EXCEPT America), but I haven't looked into how their systems work.
It would be very hard to implement free healthcare for all Americans.

Compared to a country like Sweden, which has a population ofabout six million (330 million over here). The population is predominantly white.
Here we have about 40 million blacks, 47 million Hispanics, 8 million Asians, and each race have ailments more susceptible to them than others. Blacks and Hispanics are more prone to Type 1 Diabetes, Asians are less prone to obesity, etc.

In Sweden, it’s easier to administer health care to a smaller, more indigenous population. And they have higher taxes to pay for it.

To provide complete healthcare for 55 times more people, the system would need a radical overhaul.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Part of it also has to do with our culture. Americans love to eat big, and for many, our diet is atrocious. Fast food all the time, not getting enough exercise, stressing out with cigarettes, alchohol, drugs, and gimme a bag of deep-fried pork rinds!

To my dying day, I’ll never forget this ad from ten years ago of this fat kid playing video games and yelling downstairs, “Grandma! Get me another soda!!!”
Forget that new guitar. Money needs to go for healthcare.