Muppet Canon/Chronology/Timeline

beaker

Reaction score
Thats my problem with the new film...theres no moments of beauty behold. Its just whiz bang family guy style. I miss the subtle quiet moments, the breathing room, the natural progression without cheap quick edits, and the ambient moments of the original films especially TMM and TMTM

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh and Heralde...the movie posters...TRUE art. I HATTTTE(ok hate is a strong word), I greatly dislike the modern bad photoshop jobs they used on every single muppet poster. Why cant they do group shots with the posers or puppets instead of lame photoshop jobs? But yeah I miss the art on posters for star wars films, indiana jones, muppets, etc.
I hate modern movie posters period. Crappy photoshoots, crummy CGI poses... and worst of all TERRIBLE puns for taglines. In fact, The Muppets is the greatest movie poster in the world now for NOT having a bad pun forcibly placed on the tagline. I mean, stuff like (worst example I could think of) "On April 2, Bust a Moo." Yuck. The classic art poster is a lost art... and the worst part is, the last great comedy illustrated movie poster we got was for one of the worst movies ever, "Grandma's Boys." UGH!

Yeah The Muppet Movie was definitely one of those perfect films; they got it right the first time, hehe. Muppets Take Manhattan is so touching and surprisingly grown up and really explored the characters' relationships very well. Great Muppet Caper has some funny moments and all the songs are great but the story is a little flimsy and the human characters over the top at times. So I'd put it at #3.
I don't think anything compares to those... I find them quite untouchable myself... all brilliant films. I find the new one comes very close all the while being its own thing... at least it's closer to those films than any of the classic retellings were. I find MCC a well done film, but the Muppets in it feel... well, basically the reverse of A Very Special Sesame Street Christmas. They're just randomly there half the time. But I really think GMC WAS supposed to be over the top. It seems to be a parody of films I have never seen to compare it to. I want to get the references, I get them in general... but I've never seen the films they're referring to.

As for canon... well, here's the riddle. The canon is there IS no canon. The new movie connects the events of all the other movies together, but it says it's a movie, so that doesn't count. I refuse to go back into the whole Muppet Babies thing... I said it enough times... it was added into MFC to say "Muppet Babies are on TV and a Jim Henson Project" and little else. Though, that home movie makes no reference to Nanny or Skeeter anyway, so there's wiggle room there.

I haven't seen enough Fraggle Rock... does that keep any canon or continuity? Seems like it does. Sesame Street loses it due to the agelessness of the Muppets and the mortality of the humans.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I haven't seen enough Fraggle Rock... does that keep any canon or continuity?
Pretty well, since it does lead up to a definite ending and the evolutions of the different species' relationships.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Well it would sort of look like this....

So if you wanted a timeline it'll basically look like this.
The Muppet Movie (actual story)
The Muppet Show 1-3
The Muppet Movie (the one they sit down to watch)
The Muppet Show 4-5
The Muppets (2011)
t.
The truth is It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie should be in the timeline,
Firstly becuase The Muppets Show exists too, just like in the new movie, and when Kermit wishes he were never born he sees a Doc Hopper chain of FrogLegs so it should be in the timeline and I can't believe Disney would use the idea of The Muppet Theater being torn down, when that idea was already used.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Well as far as I'm concerned, that plot line never happened, hehe. :wink:
This doesn't really have to do with what we were talking about before but when I was at Wal-Mart I bought The Muppet Christmas Carol and I know it's not that great. I was thinking I should just return it, I haven't opened it yet. Is it worth saving?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
This doesn't really have to do with what we were talking about before but when I was at Wal-Mart I bought The Muppet Christmas Carol and I know it's not that great. I was thinking I should just return it, I haven't opened it yet. Is it worth saving?
I'd return anything that came from Wal-Mart but that's another issue. :wink:

It's up to you. MCC is a nice movie. I personally don't feel it's that Muppety. But some of my fellow Muppet fans still do like it.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I'd return anything that came from Wal-Mart but that's another issue. :wink:

It's up to you. MCC is a nice movie. I personally don't feel it's that Muppety. But some of my fellow Muppet fans still do like it.
I don't really know Wal-Mart's return policy, but the closed ones should be easy to return. But I'm thinking if they'll take The Muppet Movie altough it's open (probably not) but I'll try to switch it for The Great Muppet Caper or TMTM.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't really know Wal-Mart's return policy, but the closed ones should be easy to return. But I'm thinking if they'll take The Muppet Movie altough it's open (probably not) but I'll try to switch it for The Great Muppet Caper or TMTM.
This is just me but I'd return MCC before I'd return The Muppet Movie. :wink:

zoebell

Reaction score
i love MCC. i honestly think it's one of their best movies