Muppet Canon/Chronology/Timeline

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But I was hoping for a mockumentry style movie
Well that maybe the problem. You came in with certain expectations. That doesn't mean the movie was at fault.

And I want to note that I wasn't around when The Muppet Movie came out, but I still think it's the best. So again, it's not about the film being dated. :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
No just it feels a bit dated. I wasn't saying it was dated in the post you quoted me on, I just said I didn't like it so I was thinking it might be a little bit dated for someone like me. I really wasn't sure.
I wasn't around when it came out either. But it's still the best Muppet movie for me. So I don't think the age of the movie is the problem. :wink:

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
I know that even if I like this new movie, I'm not using it to introduce my kids to the Muppets. If I'm going to do that, Jim's work comes first. And I wasn't even around when The Muppet Movie came out! :wink:
i wasnt either...i was a born a year after Muppets take Manhattan came out, and i agree with you, i love the older movies, the Muppet Movie i always in the mood for, a great tale of dreams, friendship and family...when the day comes i have a little Julio ill start them out with Jims work...for obvious reasons but also why start with the new one and go back wards, why not start at the begining and show them how they muppets have been around

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Well that maybe the problem. You came in with certain expectations. That doesn't mean the movie was at fault.

And I want to note that I wasn't around when The Muppet Movie came out, but I still think it's the best. So again, it's not about the film being dated. :wink:
The problem wasn't that it's dated. I still like some old movies even though they are a bit old (for example: Back to the Future, I just love that movie)
The problem is not that it's dated, it's that it's not quite what I expected. I wasn't even expecting a mockumentary style movie, (I should edit that post a bit) I think it would be better like that.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
i wasnt either...i was a born a year after Muppets take Manhattan came out, and i agree with you...when the day comes i have a little Julio ill start them out with Jims work...for obvious reasons but also why start with the new one and go back wards, why not start at the begining and show them how they muppets have been around
Well the only old movie that I haven't seen before the new one was The Muppet Movie, and I've seen a lot of it when I went to go see The Muppets

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The problem wasn't that it's dated. I still like some old movies even though they are a bit old (for example: Back to the Future, I just love that movie)
The problem is not that it's dated, it's that it's not quite what I expected. I wasn't even expecting a mockumentary style movie, (I should edit that post a bit) I think it would be better like that.
Gotcha, sorry if I seemed a little forceful, I just hate when people pull the "it's dated" card, lol. :wink:

It does sound like you were just expecting something different and that's fine. You can check it out again after giving yourself some space and see it from a fresh perspective.

beaker

Reaction score
I wasn't around when it came out either. But it's still the best Muppet movie for me. So I don't think the age of the movie is the problem. :wink:
I saw the Muppet movie on beta in the very early 80's at my cousin's house. I was absolutely in awe. Especially when Animal blew up. I would subsequently see it many times after that. I however got to see TMTM in theaters opening day after school as a surprise, and its because of that its remained my#1 favorite movie. However I recognize the original film as untouchable and the best movie. GMC isnt really my cup of tea, neither is MCC..but I respect it.

I dont compare the new film to those. The new film is way too jump cut-modern editing and cinematography. No slant against Bobbins, he had to make the film he did. But it lacks the subtle organic natural flow and feel of the original three as well as Follow that Bird. Even Muppets From Space feels a bit more classic film-ish to me.

Again, love the new film for how it evokes a strong feeling and everything, but I dont think it comes even close to the original three by a longshot

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I recognize the original film as untouchable and the best movie. GMC isnt really my cup of tea
Yeah The Muppet Movie was definitely one of those perfect films; they got it right the first time, hehe. Muppets Take Manhattan is so touching and surprisingly grown up and really explored the characters' relationships very well. Great Muppet Caper has some funny moments and all the songs are great but the story is a little flimsy and the human characters over the top at times. So I'd put it at #3.

I dont compare the new film to those. The new film is way too jump cut-modern editing and cinematography. No slant against Bobbins, he had to make the film he did. But it lacks the subtle organic natural flow and feel of the original three
I think you also saw a lot more "organic" type films in the '70s; it was a time when movies really came back into their own after taking such a beating from Television. :smile:

beaker

Reaction score
Yeah The Muppet Movie was definitely one of those perfect films; they got it right the first time, hehe. Muppets Take Manhattan is so touching and surprisingly grown up and really explored the characters' relationships very well. Great Muppet Caper has some funny moments and all the songs are great but the story is a little flimsy and the human characters over the top at times. So I'd put it at #3.

I think you also saw a lot more "organic" type films in the '70s; it was a time when movies really came back into their own after taking such a beating from Television. :smile:
Oh and Heralde...the movie posters...TRUE art. I HATTTTE(ok hate is a strong word), I greatly dislike the modern bad photoshop jobs they used on every single muppet poster. Why cant they do group shots with the posers or puppets instead of lame photoshop jobs? But yeah I miss the art on posters for star wars films, indiana jones, muppets, etc.

I love the feel of 70's and early 80's films. Shining, Taxi Driver, Alien, Midnight Cowboy, Annie Hall, etc. I dont see why they cant do that sort of film today(Super 8 I felt failed in its attempt) I compare The Muppet Movie to say, The Silence of the Lambs, as to me they are examples of 100% flawless oscar type films. Im so glad you can still buy TMM in stores and a new generation can experience it. I wish theyd do more film revivals or free kids days showing that

I saw TMTM in theaters with a packed big theater of mostly children, simply amazing. And the kids loved it too. I notice in TMM and TMTM it feels very real, not much in the way of surreal 4th wall breaking gags or fantastical suspension of disbelief stuff.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh and Heralde...the movie posters...TRUE art. I HATTTTE(ok hate is a strong word), I greatly dislike the modern bad photoshop jobs they used on every single muppet poster. Why cant they do group shots with the posers or puppets instead of lame photoshop jobs? But yeah I miss the art on posters for star wars films, indiana jones, muppets, etc.
Oh I know, movie posters used to be so breathtaking.

I love the feel of 70's and early 80's films.
Me too, for instance they weren't afraid of pauses and silent moments. They really felt like art for art's sake and not just for profit.