How do I get a job as a Muppeteer?

spcglider

Reaction score
Well, one can always take a lesson from Jim Henson.

Start small. Local TV.

Do whatever it takes to bring in the dough... industrial videos, commercials, etc.

Establish a reputation. Work up in the television ranks.

Eventually you will have a functional company that can support you and many others. But don't expect it to be anything less than a 10 year investment before you get to where you want to be.

Sadly, most of us have already invested that kind of time in careers outside of puppetry just to pay the bills. I know that's the conundrum I'm facing. Without an existing superstructure to fit ourselves into, it will mean starting at square one. I'm 39... square one was a LONG time ago.

But I continue to work on it. I refuse to let the dream go.

-Gordon

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I agree, Gordon. Of course, you can also get a website and start doing some kind of web episodes. A few folks here at MC already do that.

I wouldn't doubt if in the next 10-15 years that print, movies and tv ended up digitized for computer usage exclusively.

But, hope not.

spcglider

Reaction score
I hope not too.

Reading posts on the computer is taxing enough on these old eyes! :wink:

But I can't imagine trying to read a whole novel from a lit CRT or LC screen! :concern:

-Gordon

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I agree. I can see up close fine, it's way off I cannot see good; and when I do all the paperwork and computer work that I do it only makes things worse for my eyes.

I love books and comic books, though, because I have something I can hold in my hands and own. I love stuff that goes on DVD or VHS because I own that, too, and can watch it whenever. When it's on the net you can only own it and see it until something crashes, or the ISP closes it down, or something.

I don't look forward to the means of entertainment in the future being all digitally spun to us in airwaves.

And there goes my eyesight now. Right out the door...

mummytomb

Reaction score
Come on, Guys! by then we'll all have new eyes where the picture will be broadcast directly. You'll see it all in three dimensions.

People will rob your house while you're sitting on the sofa watching Cotterpin cry about not belonging...

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
mummytomb said:
People will rob your house while you're sitting on the sofa watching Cotterpin cry about not belonging...
I laughed out loud when I read that. I'm still laughing! :smile:

Yeah, it does take a great deal of work to get into it. I'm still struggling to get my church to take me seriously when I go to do small things with them. The kids don't appreicate me, I understand that. It's still rude....but...their kids, what can you expect in this day and age??

But the adults? The sunday school teachers? One of them point-blank told me,

"Puppets are crap. They don't teach the kids anything, and it takes up time to do this kind of thing, and puppeters ask for WAY too much money to do this s****y thing, you know."

A few things really bothered me when I heard her say that to me. For one, we're in CHURCH. She's a Sundayschool Teacher for gosh sakes!! And I'm not even asking for anything at all!! Just let me get the material (the lesson) a week ahead is the only thing I ask. That's all. Then to top it all off, that day, during the lesson one of the kids ripped of Tina's arm during the performance. I can't see outside of this tiny little box they put me in to do the performance..so I couldn't even see the kid come near me. And..the kid took her arm with her.

So...yeah. Puppetering is hard, as we all know. Takes a whole lot of work....*looks at Tina beside her, minus one arm.* And a whole lot of extra puppets....

dwayne1115

Reaction score
wow thats a sad story on so many accounts. first you where in church, man and the passion for puppets has in most people just died. not here but the rest of the world. Pupptes are a great tool for churches i feel. I had the priveralg to start a puupet thing for a short time at a church. the Adluts wanted me to do it but really didnt know what they wanted me to to they would give some pointers about what they would like but thats about it. i Tryed to get other people involed to become puppeters but no one cared. i think it would be neat to start a grope for church puppeters give good storys maybe try to sell puppets sets and so forth. What do you think.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
I believe it's a great idea, Dwayne1115. Some people have just lost all hope on puppets in church. It's not that hard! I have an adult friend, who usually teaches the lesson, and she'll print out the basics a week ahead for me. It's not even that much to do! It's usually just the verses they'll learn, and a couple of other things, like the songs. We don't even use a script either, just ad-lib. Tina sings the songs, and she interacts with the teacher. The sunday school teachers switch each week, so basically every 2nd sunday, I'm not able to do the puppetering. >> Cause that one woman is there teaching. Oh well, the kids enjoy it. But yeah, I agree wholeheartedly with you.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
There is a HORRIBLE misconception that puppets are solely "kids' entertainment" and you would have thought that with all of Jim's work it would have been an idea long lost, but it's not.

Recently, I've offered Muley up for some events and the organizers are willing to let him emcee the thing, BUT they only wanted him for the kids' portion of the entertainment.

Several places that Muley has worked in the past all seem to be pointed solely toward children's entertainment only, as if folks tend to think that family fare can't be entertaining to adults or you can't have clean fun with grown-ups.

The only way these days to break the boundary and let people know you aren't a kids' only entertainment is if blood is spilled or someone cusses, and that makes me very sad.

And about the sunday school teacher, I suffered through that in the past and she is the ONLY one in the whole church who feels that way, I guarantee you!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
you are right i rember i wanted to let the whole church know what i was doing because i had big ideahs for the puppets, like going to diffrent places to do puuet shows. Like childrens hospitals nusering homes and stuff like that. So i did a whole little thing behind the pulpit with my puppet. at the end of it i stood up and got a really good unexpected appladuds made some jokes and told evreyon my desire to really do a good job with the puppets. At the end of the service i had a lot of Adults come up to me and tell me it was the best puppet thing they had seen in a wile. I thought that that was a singe that i would have the support i flet i would need. two weeks later im all but forgoten about.
On the point of puppets are just for kid i strongly dissagree to. i have been playing with this play kind of like a muppet thing where the puppets interact with humans to do a Christmass play. I have never wote it out though because i knew i would not have anyone to help do it or anything like that. I really thought it was good to.