1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

How do I get a job as a Muppeteer?

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by Fozzie Bear, Sep 26, 2004.

1. GuyGadoir

GuyGadoir New Member

Frankly, I believe you are all full of it!
    Full of courage and amazing soul and I can only imagine the extents your talents. I just wanted to compliment you all on your courage and wish you the best with your projects!

Being able to make a living while staying true to art is one of the biggest puzzles to solve in a lifetime, those who succeed are blessed and I believe you can. Best of luck, all.
  2. ravagefrackle

ravagefrackle New Member

QFT
  3. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

4. bezalel

bezalel New Member

Well said, as all of the recent posts on this thread -Buck, Foz, Gordon, etc.

The only thing I have to add is that IF one day the Muppets, Disney, Nick or whoever come knocking at YOUR door - and I'm speaking in general - think twice about accepting their offer - and maybe three, four, five, or six times. You obviously must have been doing something right and maybe something of which the 'big boys' are incapable. Don't assume a partnership with the "powers that be" will make what you're doing better; It could work in reverse. Financial backing comes with costs, and you want to make sure you are not sacrificing what brought you your original success.
  5. Marky

Marky Member

He doesn't look so good these days. Something about having to feed him???
  6. Fozzie Bear

Feed him, eh? I half expected you were going to say something about how he was coming apart at the seams. :crazy:
  7. Marky

Marky Member

LOL!

Raoul is the puppets name, and he was made by Matt Ficner. Noreen YOung owns him though. I don't know why. She's the one who lent me the puppet (Matt's too busy filming zombies in Malaysia to be concerned about what I do with his rat).

I used him this weekend to do some Puppets Up! 3 promo stuff actually. It was fun, I hadn't done any public puppeteering since Sept. before that. Bad Me!
  8. Fozzie Bear

I'm trying to convince my friends to do some improv--except they're not all puppeteers. However, we play REALLY well off each other and I think it would be a hit if they would only do it and could perform puppets.
  9. Marky

Marky Member

Try doing a li'l basic workshopping with them. Ya never know! All you need then is a venue and... puppets!

I'm kind of lucky, I get both provided when doing stuff with Noreens troupe or The Balcony Puppeteers. Biologically, I'm far too lazy to build and write scripts. I just do my voice thing, abuse other's puppets and butcher writers' work.
  10. Fozzie Bear

I do that to, but unfortunatley only to my own puppets...poor things.

I've tried, only one seems slightly interested, though. Shame, too. The folks I know are FUNN-EE---but, maybe not so on stage. I didn't think of that...
  11. Marky

Marky Member

Well, one other is a start! We are just four people who get together when called for, we don't have our 'own thing' yet. But hey, if you've found one other person - you're WAY ahead of the game. Sometimes that's all you really need. Think of all the great Muppet chemistry which comes out of duets - Jim & Frank, Steve and Dave, Bill and... Bill.
  12. Fozzie Bear

Bill and Bubbles (you know, that Guy).

Anyway, I think you're right. NOW--gotta find some time!

I'm thinking of trying to start a local puppetry group not unlike our Mid-South Cartoonists Association. Could work, but there again I need time to make it happen.
  13. Marky

Marky Member

14. Fozzie Bear

That's cool, but I think I've been banned from Canada. I can't say "eh" correctly, no matter how many times I've seen Fraggle Rock, ya'll. :)

That'd be cool, but somehow I think it's going to be a while.
  15. Marky

Marky Member

ya'll! I haven't heard ya'll since I was in georgia YEARS ago! LOL!
  16. Fozzie Bear

Ya'll, ain't, didja, and Elvis are all common words around here. Ha ha ha.
  17. Marky

Marky Member

Ah-ha - you're in Memphis! Thankaveramudge...

Up here our dialouge is hockey, "eh?", and PardonmeIdidn'tmeantooffendyou.
  18. Fozzie Bear

Really? Are folks that uptight that you have to pardon yourself that frequently?

Down here, you know, it's "PardonmeIdidn'tmeantooffendyoupleasedon'tshoot."
  19. Marky

Marky Member

Yikes! I've heard the guns are flying all over the place down there. We don't have as many guns, but we do have something much more universally offensive. French people.

;)

(that was a joke, please don't take me to the supreme court, parliament is already tied up right now with the Team Canada hockey captain for having the audacity for allegedly telling a French joke - no joke!)
  20. Fozzie Bear

You know, I went to Europe in the mid-90's with a school group and we were in France for a week and never had a problem. Great place. It was in Belgium where I had the problem--the woman who ran our youth hostel was an evil witch!