1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

How do I get a job as a Muppeteer?

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by Fozzie Bear, Sep 26, 2004.

1. MuppetLabsBoy

MuppetLabsBoy Member

Is it easier to get a job in the creature shop than to operate the puppets?:confused:
  2. ravagefrackle

ravagefrackle New Member

no not really, Puppeteering is a talent for sure, But Building and designing puppets involves many many different skills, Sculpting, working with fabric, Making patterns, dying foam, fleece, and attention to detail, the list goes on and on., Look at all the talented builders on this forum, both amatuers and pros, and not all will be invited to work with the muppets or the creature shop,

thier are not simple and easy answers i am afraid.
  3. Fluffets

Fluffets New Member

Well said, I totally aggreed with that. :D:D:D
  4. ACEWOLF20

ACEWOLF20 New Member

I have a question and that is who do you contact now about being a muppeteer? Is it The Jim Henson Company or Disney?

I do have an interest in possibly being a muppeteer, but I also know the odds of making it.

A little off topic here on this one, but I have also thought about starting my own company. I have always been a little histate about doing this as I don't want to be labled as a Jim Henson knock off.
  5. Alvin

Alvin Active Member

I think I can answer this one...I had somebody email me and tell me they are "NOT AUDITIONING or HIRING RIGHT NOW", but feel free to send a video of your talent to:

Human Resources
    The Jim Henson Company
    1416 North La Brea Avenue
    Hollywood, CA 90028

That's all I know...
  6. riddles1226

riddles1226 New Member

Since the possibility of being hired was very unlikely, I decided to do "what no one could do until someone does." Persistence and determination brought an amazing result. After a year of writing letters to possible funders, meeting and greeting with folks of financial ability, and developing a very strong television show concept, it finally happened. I was in a room alone with a person I had sent a proposal to months earlier. A sense of boldness pushed me to the conversation which inspired this person with a heart for children to fund the entire amount needed to begin our television production of "The BURNNIE Show."

If interest prevails, I'll post more information on the amount received and what we did with it. I'd be happy to share any information on how we do the show with a budget of ZERO, and how we have obtained and are not airing on national networks and in the UK, Australia, Jamaica, and the Netherlands.

I don't want this to be an "ad" for our show. So, I'll leave it here. But if you want further info I'd be glad to share.

Additionally, you could go to facebook and search Burnnie T. Bunnie. Request to be added as a friend and I'll confirm. I have made many great connections this way. Or, my email is: burnnie@burnnie.org

Web at: (www.burnnie.org)

Type in "BURNNIE" on You Tube to see a variety of clips, or watch several full episodes here: http://www.tangle.com/view_video?viewkey=c9293a7c1046013f909b
  7. Kuriboh Man

Kuriboh Man Active Member

Are there any College Requirements for Puppeteering Jobs?
  8. riddles1226

riddles1226 New Member

Experience and higher ed training on a resume is always a plus. My degree shows a minor in theater, although not specifically in puppetry. However, since I hired myself, I didn't mind. :)
  9. i'm from australia. would that limit or influence my eligibility to (hopefully) become a Muppeteer in the (again, hopefully) near future?
  10. Gerbert

Gerbert Member

Or you can start YOUR OWN PUPPET COMPANY! Not to be mean but Get proffesional puppets like puppets from LunasPuppets.com They have blinking eye Puppets Heres a Picture of Mine http://img2.pict.com/f3/32/83/3635471/0/1276122628.jpg there Or Puppetusa.com Not proffesional but a start.
    Terrence Burke likes this.
  11. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

i say just do what you do,waork hard at being a puppeteer and get to know people. no ones going to walk up to you and hand you the job

ive had the same dream as a kid and while i haven't had the chance to work on any official puppet stuff i sure have met a lot of the Muppeteers during casual events and puppeteer conventions

no need to be mean about it
  12. Gerbert

Gerbert Member

Sorry dude i Edited it.
  13. Gerbert

Gerbert Member

14. Michael Earl

Michael Earl New Member

I agree that you should first focus on becoming a good puppeteer. If you want solid training, I provide that. Go to www.puppetschool.com for more info.
  15. Michael Earl

Michael Earl New Member

Henson used to have workshops where they'd find people. I'm not sure if they still do that. I was very fortunate to know Frank Oz's parents and Kermit Love who both talked to Jim Henson about me...so that was an unusual situation. But I have helped several people over the years break into the business, including Muppet performers Drew Massey and Camille Bonora. For 25 years I have trained puppeteers and now have a school in LA called Puppet School (www.puppetschool.com) where I train the next generation of TV and film puppeteers. I also teach puppet making as well as an one-day intensive TV Puppetry workshop in NYC and Seattle. Hope that helps.
    Muppet fan 123 and Pop Tarts like this.
  16. zns

zns Well-Known Member

17. bluebomber95

bluebomber95 Member

Your puppetry is really good, seriously. A lot better than some of the other stuff I've seen online. But, if you want Henson/Sesame/Disney to see it, definitely make a reel. It's just the professional thing to do.

Seriously, though, your stuff is top-notch and you should send this to Kevin Clash. He's the go-to guy for recruiting talent for Sesame. If you just send a DVD to Sesame Workshop c/o Kevin Clash, that should do the trick.
  18. bingboingcutie

bingboingcutie Active Member

Seattle? Can you tell me what day the workshop is this year?

So I have a question: how do you actually get started as a puppeteer? My dream is to work with the Jim Henson company, the Muppets, or Sesame Street, but I just don't know how to start. I've only built about a couple of puppets, and I'm really bad at scriptwriting on my own, so I've only done the occasional puppet show for my sister. So how do I get experience (or hopefully my first paying puppet job) to make me look good to the company?
  19. NotKarl

NotKarl New Member

Meet Karl... He's been to the Cannes Film Festival:

20. Kuriboh Man

Kuriboh Man Active Member

I think my skills have been improving the past couple of years (The focus, the lip-synch and stuff like that!)