How do I get a job as a Muppeteer?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
This question comes up so often it really DOES need it's own thread title. I figured just putting the actual question in there as the title of the thread would make it easier to find.

So, who wants to answer it?

Best I've ever known was that you make a short video tape and send it to them, they review it and notify you of any auditions.

gfarkwort

Reaction score
....or put you on a possible freelance list of Puppeteers

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
be prepared for dissapointment though, they have a large rouster of possible puppeteers, and considering how few jobs they actually have, i would say that you are better off trying to get work with other puppet companys,

face facts , the muppets just dont do a whole lot anymore, even sesame street has cut down its shooting season, they only film for about 6 weeks this year, so i would suggest you start looking else wear, somebody out there is sure to come up with the next big thing

Barry Lee

Reaction score
ravagefrackle said:
be prepared for dissapointment though, they have a large rouster of possible puppeteers, and considering how few jobs they actually have, i would say that you are better off trying to get work with other puppet companys,

face facts , the muppets just dont do a whole lot anymore, even sesame street has cut down its shooting season, they only film for about 6 weeks this year, so i would suggest you start looking else wear, somebody out there is sure to come up with the next big thing

I sorta agree you would do fine maybe doing some animation AND puppet show thing with Muley.That might be neat.:zany:

Whatever

Reaction score
I think Kevin knows all this, he just startyed a thread for others who don;'t know it.
On the documentary about the Dark Crystal, Jim Henson said that when they looked for puppeteers they looked for people who could express everything with their hands.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
That's probably true but I would suggest that people not make assumptions or base expectations on shows or books from the 70s/80s (or even 90s). The company is very different today than it was then or even a few years ago. Focus on becoming a good puppeteer if it's what you really want and then see where it takes you.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
exactly, its not 1975 any more, so dont be expecting any miracles , even if disney does more with the muppets, in order to puppeteer for the muppets in film and tv you need to be a member of one of the big actor unions, its not like you can just walk in there and expect them to say ok great heres your puppet .

if you are lucky enough to land a gig with them expect to spend most of your time assisting the core performers, doing right hands , and holding rods, or performing tails for puppets, dont think you are gonna be a main performer any time soon, it takes years before they let you, and if you think about it, how many new puppet characters have really made a break out, aside from pepe(no i dont think jonny and sal count stupid lounge singer and monkey, eeesh)

leliebel

Reaction score
and look on the bright side, if you work for other companies you get the chance to build a resume.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
(Yeah, I was doing this mainly as the staple thread for this question for other folks).

The reality of the "dream" of working for The Muppets is HARSH! Same for those who want to animate for Disney (since that's all gone now, except for CGI), and those who want to cartoon in magazines, newspapers, or comic books. Getting in requires the 'who you know' nowadays. That, or you go on a LONG list of possibilities.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think it's only harsh for those who think that they can apply to Henson or Disney or whoever, they'll get hired and be set for life which of course isn't the way it works. The thing to do is become very, very good and get to know other people in the `biz. Then if you're lucky you'll either be in the right place at the right time or be so good they have to hire you.