Disney really getting ready to use the Muppets to help teach kids about...

Luke

Reaction score
Jim Hill always makes assumptions and then ignores everything else. He's Jim Hill how could he not be right? (although he's never right). Yeah it could be some project about to be pitched but it could just as well be Disney's market research people surveying their audience for information to be used if its needed. It doesn't neccasarily mean anything really, and if it did, it doesn't mean thats the only thing the Muppets would be doing.

muppet baby

Reaction score
:smile:
Well, when several principle members of any given group of performers passes away, of course the projects suffer. Personally, I really am embarassed by post VMX stuff. It's kinda sad to say that's the last good thing they've done for a while.

But then again, the good news to the bad news is that Jim Hill is often WRONG.

Seriously, a couple years ago, I would have fought that comment, but now, I almost agree completely. Oz was crap, and it took them forever to think of anything to do after that (ooh... it came in third duri ng the night of the daytime emmys... that's total failure... :rolleyes: ). But I feel a lot of the blame of how terrible the product was falls onto Disney, for trying to make it hip and relevant by taking a B list celebrity that can't act and giving her the lead. Why a lot of us fans were angry was there was a long line of other (better) scripts that have been in developement purgatory for years.

Well yes i have to agree with the fact there are a long line of better sctips that they could have waited on before doing muppet wizard of OZ or taken a few things in muppet wizard of oz and made it better .

Although it was cute and a good try but it was not great .
i hope that they do better on the next movie , i am sure that they will be better , everything goes though slumps but oh well i will always love the muppets .

Teheheman

Reaction score
While I don't see this as the best idea ever, I think that it has potential. The only reason I say that is that if you take the Muppet Babies and make them into a cartoon franchise like they were before, you may have something. But to take the real muppets and have them be something like when they made that Winnie the Pooh series in the 80's, I don't know if you could do that now, it just makes the other muppet stuff look more adult in comparision. Bringing them in a crossover move with other Disney stars seems like a REALLY bad idea. I think that Disney needs to look at some of these scripts that actually ARE probably better and make something out of em that can hold water instead of trying to plug up a sinking ship with bubblegum like they are doing here. Oz wasn't as good as original stuff that they did in the past, but you gotta realize that even bad muppet productions is a lot better than no muppets at all. Even MFS has SOMETHING. It wasn't just a vechical for B-listers, it had a plot on where Gonzo may have come from. I think that it could've been better, but what do I know? Anyways, I think that if they look on what made the Muppets great(which WAS good writing, great comic timing, and things that appealed to adults as well as kids) then you may have a little something to work with instead of trying to market them as the next kid fad. Fads come and go for little kids, look at Barney and Blues Clues. Enough said.

Daniel

muppet baby

Reaction score
While I don't see this as the best idea ever, I think that it has potential. The only reason I say that is that if you take the Muppet Babies and make them into a cartoon franchise like they were before, you may have something. But to take the real muppets and have them be something like when they made that Winnie the Pooh series in the 80's, I don't know if you could do that now, it just makes the other muppet stuff look more adult in comparision. Bringing them in a crossover move with other Disney stars seems like a REALLY bad idea. I think that Disney needs to look at some of these scripts that actually ARE probably better and make something out of em that can hold water instead of trying to plug up a sinking ship with bubblegum like they are doing here. Oz wasn't as good as original stuff that they did in the past, but you gotta realize that even bad muppet productions is a lot better than no muppets at all. Even MFS has SOMETHING. It wasn't just a vechical for B-listers, it had a plot on where Gonzo may have come from. I think that it could've been better, but what do I know? Anyways, I think that if they look on what made the Muppets great(which WAS good writing, great comic timing, and things that appealed to adults as well as kids) then you may have a little something to work with instead of trying to market them as the next kid fad. Fads come and go for little kids, look at Barney and Blues Clues. Enough said.

Daniel
Well if they are going to do some thing for preschool kids they need to bring back muppet babies and have them teaching about eltronices

Well yes , that is true that is bad productions are better than nothing at all , yes and i hope that they do not put the Muppet's and Disney stars together that would be a little to werid yes .

i hope that they might have the senice to bring the muppet babies back they are the best for preschool kids and for adulits to as they where back in the 1980's :excited:

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Luke said:
It doesn't neccasarily mean anything really, and if it did, it doesn't mean thats the only thing the Muppets would be doing.
I somehow don't see the actual muppet characters simplified down and teaching things to children, then turning around and making a movie like A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie, which was family friendly but had alot of pop-culture and adult jokes in it.
This is my worst case scenario: If that happens, someone will complain about this double standard, that it's unheathy for their children's minds, or that it's misleading when they watch other muppet stuff or something. Then the muppets wouldn't be able to do anything normal anymore because they're be watered down for so-called "children's entertainment" (which I have alot of issues with anyway, but that's a different story). They don't do it with any of their other characters...

Does anyone get my drift?

Daniel said:
Anyways, I think that if they look on what made the Muppets great(which WAS good writing, great comic timing, and things that appealed to adults as well as kids) then you may have a little something to work with instead of trying to market them as the next kid fad. Fads come and go for little kids, look at Barney and Blues Clues. Enough said.
Yes, yes that is exactly what we need. DISNEY, please read that again!

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
I somehow don't see the actual muppet characters simplified down and teaching things to children, then turning around and making a movie like A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie, which was family friendly but had alot of pop-culture and adult jokes in it.
This is my worst case scenario: If that happens, someone will complain about this double standard, that it's unheathy for their children's minds, or that it's misleading when they watch other muppet stuff or something. Then the muppets wouldn't be able to do anything normal anymore because they're be watered down for so-called "children's entertainment" (which I have alot of issues with anyway, but that's a different story). They don't do it with any of their other characters...

Does anyone get my drift?
I do and I do not want the muppet to become a waterd down childrens property again.

Luke

Reaction score
True, in a way. Although it depends how watered down they would be for educational stuff. Teaching technology doesn't mean they can't mean a few jokes, it doesn't mean they are going to be going down to say BITBBH level doing potty training. Also Muppets were doing kids computer games all over the years since MFS. If the plans for the "Behind the Music" type documentary were considered seriously by Disney, they might continue down to retro route somehow, although perhaps they wouldn't be quite as edgy as some parts of VMX. I liked that edgy style though, it ruined it for me when they back to doing Oz, even if there was a slightly unnecassary nipple joke in there. It still seemed like they were going backwards!

Teheheman

Reaction score
Actually, and disagree with me if you want, but it all went downhill when they introduced Pepe. That, in my opinion, was their failed attempt to be cool and hip. But, that's just me.

Daniel

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Actually, and disagree with me if you want, but it all went downhill when they introduced Pepe. That, in my opinion, was their failed attempt to be cool and hip. But, that's just me.

Daniel
If you want to be that way about it all I could say the introduction of Clifford was just as bad if not worse than pepe.:rolleyes: :stick_out_tongue:

Beauregard

Reaction score
The one thing that I worry about the most when it comes to The Muppets and Disney is that Winnie the Pooh was once an intellectual, clever, aimed-at-adults as well as children property with good jokes, clever wit, and heart-felt stories...and now it's, well, Disney's Winnie The Pooh. I don't want to see that happen with our fuzzy, furry friends.

On the other hand, as Luke said, the Muppets have always made computer games etc.