Arm Rods

poopsie

Reaction score
Yes, please send me the pictures when you are done too! The rubberbands keep breaking on the kids when they put on their puppet show! We use the big thick ones now, but they REALLY show! :eek:

puppets_etc

Reaction score
I've managed to find some velcro strips that work great. :excited:

Just try to match the color of the velcro to the color of your puppet as well as you can. Velcro is such a versatile tool :wink: ! I had to do a little bit of sewing by hand, but it works. Take a strip of the loops (the soft side) and sew a smaller piece of the hooks (rough side) to the end, facing the opposite direction. Wrap it around the wrist of your puppets. The velcro is almost invisible. You can still see the rods, but only if you're really looking for them. :big_grin:

Deb :flirt:

puppets_etc

Reaction score
Sorry Kev!:embarrassed: I guess I should have read the thread from the beginning. However, I still like the velcro. What problems were you having with it?:confused:

Deb:flirt:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I just didn't like it. I think it was because the arms were too loose or something...I can't remember my other reason for not liking it.

Buck Beaver has a site he's working on and shows how he does the hands, and it is a GREAT way to do it!! The wires aren't removeable, but that's okay. I'm soon to make a 'poser' Muley anyhow.

FOZ

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
That's an interesting method, I've heard about it before but have never seen it illustrated visually before. Do you think it's possible to just embed the doll joint thingie (whatever that's called) inside the arm and have the opening only wide enough so the rod can slip inside the arm and "hook" itself in to place. Not sure if that would work, but it would make the opening smaller, which is the only drawback of this method that I can see.

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Hey Buck, thanks....... part of it is your brain storn too! =)

The size of the hole can actually be adjusted to a much smaller size. Currently, the final photo on that page is NOT the final product because I decided not to go with hands for the bird puppet I'm making right now. So that hand showing is not covered with fleece. Once you adjust the size of the hole, cover the hand with material (fleece or whatever) it is MUCH smaller! :excited: I'll add another photo with the finished effect soon.

The Foam Book does show a similar method with 1 inch foam and cutting into the palm of the hand to insert the joint, but thats what started the trouble with the rod snagging and litterally tearing apart the poor puppety hand from the inside!:frown:

-Michele

PS: Also, I thought that it was a little harder to adjust the size of the hole once you had to cut into it that way.

fishbone

Reaction score
yeah.the doll joints stick outof my nerfs hand ,it looks like he's got a growth,i guess if done right it works well,the movie i worked on ,the main puppet was made really fraggin' good,his rods were in his hands.&they just seemed to flow perfectly,he also had nice rods too thow,i don't know,i think i'll try the index finger thing,i' gunna start a new nerf hed today :smile:

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
The doll joints do come in different sizes you know.:wink: Maybe the one you used was too big. It should be small enough to fit in side the palm of your puppets hand.

puppets_etc

Reaction score
All these ideas are so great, it really makes me want to get started.:excited:

But I had to do a reality check: it looks like until my classes are over I'm not gonna have any time to do much of anything:cry:! So, I'll live vicariously through all of you until I'm finished.......about 18 to 24 mo.:eek:

Deb :flirt: