Arm Rods

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
At MFest, there were several MCers that got to go on-stage and do some puppetry stuff with some Muppets; any of you folks out there who can vouch for what you saw, felt...what did you notice about the Muppets at that time?

FOZ

video567

Reaction score
hi where can i ifind puppet rods? i have been using wood stick but is there soemthing available that would look more professional?
thank you

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Currently, I use a wire that's wrapped around the palm of the hand kind of tightly, but that's the problem: if the charactes' hands get too wild, the rods slip right off (so I've sewn them in place) and now the rod is there for photos and can't be removed and re-sewn as quickly as I might need it to be.

I've seen folks use dowel rods with rubber bands wrapped around those and the wrist of the puppet.

Baby Animal

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone does it this way but,

How about putting some kind of nut into the index finger of the puppet? The rod arm can then have some kind of screw stripping that can twist into the nut, making it secure. It would be a little bit of work, tiny and tideous, but well worth it once it's done.

Just a thought.

Tony

PS. What I have seen is a clear plastic rod arm with one half of a snap button on it and the other end of the snap on the arm. I didn't like it too well because the snap would snap apart too easily. More ideas.

saucycracka

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
Currently, I use a wire that's wrapped around the palm of the hand kind of tightly, ........
what kind of wire are you using and where is it available? I know of people straightining clothes hangers and making rubberized handdles but thats a bit much work for me and i need something that can film well wooden dowels and skewers aren't working for me either:frown:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
from what i've seen and heard you just need to look out for wire until you see the right type...then stock up!

Sarah

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
It ain't that difficult to find wire. Just go to a hardware store (Hope Depot or other home improvement centers) and look around. They come coiled up and you do have to straighten them out.

There's a wire that is galvonized steel (i think) and it's coiled up in a package--not that expensive at all either--BUT! It's very VERY sturdy and hard as heck to straighten out. Thus, you don't have the wires bending while performing the puppet. Coathangers tend to bend depending on the puppet's hands heaviness or the movements you're doing.

When you find a thin wire that is hard as heck to bend, that's it.

Then, I cut the length of the wire that I need, wrap it around at one end to fit the hand, and then loop the other end (very narrowly) for my hand to control it. I paint the tip (spray paint) and clear coat it the same color as the material of the hand, then wrap black electrical tape all the way down and around the part that I'll be holding.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
The wires the Muppet Workshop used to use could be found in places that specialize in plumbing supplies. You need strong, but thin wires.

In the book Muppets make Puppets it brings out "It's not likely you're going to find any puppet supply house nearby, so, the best thing is just to look around. Use your imagination."

Something like that.