1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Arm Rods

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by Fozzie Bear, Feb 13, 2003.

1. poopsie

poopsie New Member

Yes, please send me the pictures when you are done too! The rubberbands keep breaking on the kids when they put on their puppet show! We use the big thick ones now, but they REALLY show! :eek:
  2. puppets_etc

puppets_etc Member

I've managed to find some velcro strips that work great. :excited:

Just try to match the color of the velcro to the color of your puppet as well as you can. Velcro is such a versatile tool ;) ! I had to do a little bit of sewing by hand, but it works. Take a strip of the loops (the soft side) and sew a smaller piece of the hooks (rough side) to the end, facing the opposite direction. Wrap it around the wrist of your puppets. The velcro is almost invisible. You can still see the rods, but only if you're really looking for them. :D

Deb :flirt:
  3. puppets_etc

puppets_etc Member

Sorry Kev!:o I guess I should have read the thread from the beginning. However, I still like the velcro. What problems were you having with it?:confused:

Deb:flirt:
  4. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

I just didn't like it. I think it was because the arms were too loose or something...I can't remember my other reason for not liking it.

Buck Beaver has a site he's working on and shows how he does the hands, and it is a GREAT way to do it!! The wires aren't removeable, but that's okay. I'm soon to make a 'poser' Muley anyhow.

FOZ
  5. Puppetplanet

Puppetplanet Member

6. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Active Member

That's an interesting method, I've heard about it before but have never seen it illustrated visually before. Do you think it's possible to just embed the doll joint thingie (whatever that's called) inside the arm and have the opening only wide enough so the rod can slip inside the arm and "hook" itself in to place. Not sure if that would work, but it would make the opening smaller, which is the only drawback of this method that I can see.
  7. Puppetplanet

Puppetplanet Member

Hey Buck, thanks....... part of it is your brain storn too! =)

The size of the hole can actually be adjusted to a much smaller size. Currently, the final photo on that page is NOT the final product because I decided not to go with hands for the bird puppet I'm making right now. So that hand showing is not covered with fleece. Once you adjust the size of the hole, cover the hand with material (fleece or whatever) it is MUCH smaller! :excited: I'll add another photo with the finished effect soon.

The Foam Book does show a similar method with 1 inch foam and cutting into the palm of the hand to insert the joint, but thats what started the trouble with the rod snagging and litterally tearing apart the poor puppety hand from the inside!:(

-Michele

PS: Also, I thought that it was a little harder to adjust the size of the hole once you had to cut into it that way.
  8. fishbone

fishbone Member

yeah.the doll joints stick outof my nerfs hand ,it looks like he's got a growth,i guess if done right it works well,the movie i worked on ,the main puppet was made really fraggin' good,his rods were in his hands.&they just seemed to flow perfectly,he also had nice rods too thow,i don't know,i think i'll try the index finger thing,i' gunna start a new nerf hed today :)
  9. Puppetplanet

Puppetplanet Member

The doll joints do come in different sizes you know.;) Maybe the one you used was too big. It should be small enough to fit in side the palm of your puppets hand.
  10. puppets_etc

puppets_etc Member

All these ideas are so great, it really makes me want to get started.:excited:

But I had to do a reality check: it looks like until my classes are over I'm not gonna have any time to do much of anything:cry:! So, I'll live vicariously through all of you until I'm finished.......about 18 to 24 mo.:eek:

11. fishbone

fishbone Member

no..big ..big is goood small baad....yeh,i'm building a little bear i got the head ,hands (thanx to the beave...your hand meothed)& torso done today,i work on eyes & mouth thurs...later today. :excited:
  12. Puppetplanet

Puppetplanet Member

Awwwww Deb! You can't finish your puppet you started until THEN?! I've been checking yoru site periodically to see if you've gotten any where with him. Bummer! :cry:

Hey Fishbone...... Bigger is NOT ALWAYS better you know. :p And I can't believe you said thanks to the "Beave" :concern: :zany:
  13. puppets_etc

puppets_etc Member

I still have about 2 weeks before I have to start:excited:, so I'll get the rest of the supplies I need to finish Grumpy (for lack of a better name) this weekend. Once he's done, I'll have to hang up my foam and glue gun until Christmas break.:(

14. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

I really like Kevin's idea with the glue and the tape. I think I'll try that next time.

Puppetplanet, I couldn't get the link to open.
  15. Puppetplanet

Puppetplanet Member

I noticed that a few days ago. :(

I don't know what happened to it because I can't find the pic on my site at all. If anyone received the .jpg in email from me could you please resend a copy? Otherwise I have to make another one when I get the chance.

Sowy:halo:
  16. Hey! I just put together my own method of removeable rods, encouraged by what someone on here said about alligator clips. It's a three step process.

1. Get some name tag clips and remove the clear snap-strap so that all you have left is the clip. The should be two holes on at least one of the planes of the clip. Sew through the hole and attach it to the part of the arm that will funtion as the wrist BEFORE you attach the hand, making sure the clip's "mouth" faces toward the hand.

2. Next grab some clear 1/2 inch tubing and cut a 1/2 inch chunk off of it, making sure the edges aren't skewed when you cut it. around the perimeter of the bottom of the tube, perferate it with a push pin to make sewing easier. Then, when attaching the hand to the arm, sew the tube chunk into the bottom of the wrist. This will serve as a guide to the clip through which to feed the rod, as well as a marker for the hole in the wrist.

3. Bend the top 3 inches or so of the rod down about 30 degrees. This will allow you to feed it into the index finger for better control of the hand. When the rod is fed all the way through, clamp the clip around it to secure it.

Yay! This has worked so well for me, I hope it can serve you well too! And a BIG :mad: thanks to whoever brought up the clip idea. :)
  17. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

Sounds good, man!

Hey, how's Scary Larry doing these days?
  18. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Active Member

So how come you didn't suggest this BEFORE I started welding a bunch of brass tubes this week?! :p

Seriously, that's a great little method. I'd be surprised if someone hasn't thought of it elsewhere (great minds do think alike). Very cool.
  19. PaulyPuppets

PaulyPuppets New Member

:halo: I simply use sturdy black or brown wired hangers. I unravel them and straighten them out as much as possible. I break them in half, and bend each tip into an "L" shape. I then take the other end of each rod, and insert it into a small foam rubber hand grip that I make. I hold it in there with hot glue. I cut a small slit in the wrist of each puppet hand and insert the rods. Then I put 3 decent squirts of hot glue in the wrist, and insert the rod. I've been doing this for years so I'm pretty good at getting the rod securely in there with no trace of hot glue outside of the puppet. The key is making sure the "L" shaped part that is inserted, is glued securely to the inner wrist material of the puppet so it stays nice and snug. The down side is that the rods are permanently attached. But this easy method has worked quite nicely for me, and my customers really like the product. Best of luck. ...Pauly
    www.puppetsnstuff.com
  20. Sorry I didn't mention it earlier! :o I knew you already had a method.

Scary Larry's doing all right, though he is now recovering from wrist surgery... His copyright info FINALLY came back in the mail today. Otherwise, he is kind of lonely because all my other characters don't really have performers who have taken on their personas. Hopefully that's in the midst of changing soon though, as I've written a short that I want to film this quarter with some extraordinary voice people I met at school. We'll see...

How's Muley? Geering up for more R. McDonald House events?

Also (top Andrew) is Buck showing up in Bear Town?