Arm Rods

fishbone

Reaction score
no..big ..big is goood small baad....yeh,i'm building a little bear i got the head ,hands (thanx to the beave...your hand meothed)& torso done today,i work on eyes & mouth thurs...later today. :excited:

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Awwwww Deb! You can't finish your puppet you started until THEN?! I've been checking yoru site periodically to see if you've gotten any where with him. Bummer! :cry:

Hey Fishbone...... Bigger is NOT ALWAYS better you know. :stick_out_tongue: And I can't believe you said thanks to the "Beave" :concern: :zany:

puppets_etc

Reaction score
I still have about 2 weeks before I have to start:excited:, so I'll get the rest of the supplies I need to finish Grumpy (for lack of a better name) this weekend. Once he's done, I'll have to hang up my foam and glue gun until Christmas break.:frown:

Deb :flirt:

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
I noticed that a few days ago. :frown:

I don't know what happened to it because I can't find the pic on my site at all. If anyone received the .jpg in email from me could you please resend a copy? Otherwise I have to make another one when I get the chance.

Sowy:halo:

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Hey! I just put together my own method of removeable rods, encouraged by what someone on here said about alligator clips. It's a three step process.

1. Get some name tag clips and remove the clear snap-strap so that all you have left is the clip. The should be two holes on at least one of the planes of the clip. Sew through the hole and attach it to the part of the arm that will funtion as the wrist BEFORE you attach the hand, making sure the clip's "mouth" faces toward the hand.

2. Next grab some clear 1/2 inch tubing and cut a 1/2 inch chunk off of it, making sure the edges aren't skewed when you cut it. around the perimeter of the bottom of the tube, perferate it with a push pin to make sewing easier. Then, when attaching the hand to the arm, sew the tube chunk into the bottom of the wrist. This will serve as a guide to the clip through which to feed the rod, as well as a marker for the hole in the wrist.

3. Bend the top 3 inches or so of the rod down about 30 degrees. This will allow you to feed it into the index finger for better control of the hand. When the rod is fed all the way through, clamp the clip around it to secure it.

Yay! This has worked so well for me, I hope it can serve you well too! And a BIG :mad: thanks to whoever brought up the clip idea. :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Sounds good, man!

Hey, how's Scary Larry doing these days?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
So how come you didn't suggest this BEFORE I started welding a bunch of brass tubes this week?! :stick_out_tongue:

Seriously, that's a great little method. I'd be surprised if someone hasn't thought of it elsewhere (great minds do think alike). Very cool.

PaulyPuppets

Reaction score
:halo: I simply use sturdy black or brown wired hangers. I unravel them and straighten them out as much as possible. I break them in half, and bend each tip into an "L" shape. I then take the other end of each rod, and insert it into a small foam rubber hand grip that I make. I hold it in there with hot glue. I cut a small slit in the wrist of each puppet hand and insert the rods. Then I put 3 decent squirts of hot glue in the wrist, and insert the rod. I've been doing this for years so I'm pretty good at getting the rod securely in there with no trace of hot glue outside of the puppet. The key is making sure the "L" shaped part that is inserted, is glued securely to the inner wrist material of the puppet so it stays nice and snug. The down side is that the rods are permanently attached. But this easy method has worked quite nicely for me, and my customers really like the product. Best of luck. ...Pauly
www.puppetsnstuff.com

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't mention it earlier! :embarrassed: I knew you already had a method.

Scary Larry's doing all right, though he is now recovering from wrist surgery... His copyright info FINALLY came back in the mail today. Otherwise, he is kind of lonely because all my other characters don't really have performers who have taken on their personas. Hopefully that's in the midst of changing soon though, as I've written a short that I want to film this quarter with some extraordinary voice people I met at school. We'll see...

How's Muley? Geering up for more R. McDonald House events?

Also (top Andrew) is Buck showing up in Bear Town?