Arm Rods

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Sure! And there's $500 for you in it up front; $500 dollars is just the beginning -- you could be earning this much every year .

I'll also accept bears in frog suits. :smile:

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
What about bears in bunny suits? I still have my Easter outfit here. How much can I make with that, then?

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
A bear in a bunny costume?! That's sure to scare off fur demons... make it $550.

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

vaderdentist

Reaction score
Here is how I solved the arm-rod issue for my puppets:

choose your wire first..........according to professional puppet makers I have talked with, Henson's folks actually use or have used welding rods................wooden dowels are drilled and epoxied onto the handle end.................

I use little wooden wheels from craft shops..............I drill a small hole for each finger on the outside of the wheel............I drill another hole that will be positioned near the bottom edge of the palm. This hole will house the welding rod. I epoxy bendable wire for each finger and the whole shebang gets some thin foam gloves(assembled with glue). Next the foam hands are covered with their respective fleece gloves. Then you can take some styrene tubing and glue from the outer edge of the fleeced palm into the hole you drilled. The styrene tube will of course have to be the same diameter as the welding rod.........so the hole for the styrene tube has to be bigger!

lastly when the tube is exposed, cut it flush with the fleece and
sew around the tube until it is sturdy.

voila!!!

Dave

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
HUH Dave? I wanted to bring this back to the top by responding in hopes that Terry Angus or someone who worked with JHC could spill a couple secrets?

Terry, oh Terry.... where art thou? :concern:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Here's what I've opted to do:

The hands were sewn from material first, I carved from 1" foam a hand to place in the material, and then I split that down the middle and applied floral wiring (as is used in bouquets) throughout the hand, but also in the middle I took a loop-ended wire (shaped like a "P") and put the loop in the palm, then glued the hand back together and put it in the 'material hand.'

The base of the wire will be glued into dowel rod, all of which will then be covered in black eletrical tape, and it will work great.

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
I've created a new way to make arm rods that are removeable for photos, traveling, and such. It actually uses in part methods shown on the Foam book videos, and the hands that Buck Beaver showed me how to make on his site. (the fingers bend and there are two layers of foam instead of one.) I've added a bit more work to the rod steps shown in the foam book, but that was because I found some flaws with that method.

I'm going to be taking photos with the next puppet hands/rods that I make, so e-mail me if anyone wants this set of Picture diagrams sent. puppetplanet@aol.com

-Michele

PS: I've found that puppets are always a working progress. The style I make today is nothing compared to the poly filled ones I made only two years ago! =) (For the best I hope!) :flirt:

fishbone

Reaction score
no way...that's impossible,i wish i had that for my nerf hedz(hmmm.. i like that name,)i gotta use pilow cases,but the rods still stick out, :grouchy: