Is anybody else just sick of Ice Age?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Was Megamind any good?
It was ingenious. The movie parodied super heroes in a way no one ever did before... the villain actually starts falling for the news reporter he keeps kidnapping... the villain lives in a completely romanticized world of his own... I can't even begin to describe it. It was one of the smartest parody hero projects I've seen in a long time. I'm SOOOOO sick of every indie comic writer I bump into writing a comic where a nerd gets super powers and it's a (word for word quote from everyone I've ever met) "be careful what you wish for situation." NAH, Fool! Megamind torched your butts by being original. Plus, it's one of the movies Will Ferrel is actually GOOD in!

Now, I love Madagascar for some reason, and I'm digging the Penguin show... but what completely bugs me is that they want to do 4 films, and only on the 4th film do they get back to New York. So basically the third one is pointless filler... heck, they shoulda started back for New York in the second one.

robodog

Reaction score
I caught the last hour of Megamind back when we had one of those free channel preview deals. I liked what I saw of it. I'd love to see it all the way through.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Um... I think we already have a thread about this... I'm pretty sure, because I think I was the one who started it (about Ice Age being Blue Sky's answer to Shrek and such).

Personally, I loved the first one, loathed the second one with a passion, the third one seemed like a rip-off of Land of the Lost, and Ihonestly can't imagine what they'll do with a fourth one other than showing us the growth of Manny and Elle's new baby (or at least try to develop Diego's character a bit more since he basically just took up space in the third).

Drtooth

Reaction score
It really seemed like there was a vehicle for Diego to toss in the towel and just wait to die, and then whatever that was got cut, and therefore never explored.

Yeah, Blue Sky is trying desperately to make this their personal Shrek, and it isn't really biting. Shrek's been absorbed into pop culture (though everyone's kinda sick of him now) and has Theme Park and cruise ship attractions. Then there was a Macy's Balloon (think they swapped it out for Po, though). I rarely see Ice Age mentioned at all.

beaker

Reaction score
It was ingenious. The movie parodied super heroes in a way no one ever did before... the villain actually starts falling for the news reporter he keeps kidnapping... the villain lives in a completely romanticized world of his own... I can't even begin to describe it. It was one of the smartest parody hero projects I've seen in a long time. I'm SOOOOO sick of every indie comic writer I bump into writing a comic where a nerd gets super powers and it's a (word for word quote from everyone I've ever met) "be careful what you wish for situation." NAH, Fool! Megamind torched your butts by being original. Plus, it's one of the movies Will Ferrel is actually GOOD in!

Now, I love Madagascar for some reason, and I'm digging the Penguin show... but what completely bugs me is that they want to do 4 films, and only on the 4th film do they get back to New York. So basically the third one is pointless filler... heck, they shoulda started back for New York in the second one.
Hmm, well youve convinced me as I trust a lot of your reviews. Even if it doesnt come close to the joy MvA brought me, it sounds good. Wish I woulda seen it on the big screen. How was despicable me? As you can tell, I dont see many of these cgi movies.

I like Madacascar too, but man...what the heck is with the old school cgi they use? What is this, 1998?

Drtooth

Reaction score
How was despicable me? As you can tell, I dont see many of these cgi movies.
That was pretty good too. I enjoyed it. They stuck SOOOO many bloody NBC promos in the back (not of any of the shows, thankfully, but Gru did steal the jumbotron from Times Square and it of COURSE had the NBC logo on it) and had a lot of NBC/Universal movie and TV stars as the voice cast... but it was a pretty solid movie. Not as good as Megamind, but it was a nice little super villain/Mad scientist movie... I LOOOOVE Mad science. I just wish that they had Despicable merchandise... I love the little yellow "minions" and wish I coulda got one with fries and a burger, instead of in a crane machine.

I like Madacascar too, but man...what the heck is with the old school cgi they use? What is this, 1998?
I think that was some sort of experiment in trying to make CGI look more cartoonish and rubbery. They got it better the second time around and ever since, rather than the stiffness and uncanny valley of Shrek. I love those Penguins though... aside from the Muppets and the Penguin's army in Batman Returns, they're my favorite film penguins. Even Robin William's Happy feet characters don't come close and I'm a big fan of the guy's work.... Rico's definately my favorite of the bunch. There was just something that I dug about Madagascar that even mystifies me. It didn't seem as smug and self indulgent as Shrek or Shark Tale. Plus, I like Ben Stiller and Chris Rock.

ilovemusic

Reaction score
Yes. QUITE sick. My bro watches it over and over. And now they're coming up with a freaking part 4! :frown:

rowlfy662

Reaction score
i am sick with it also its like the shrek franchise two is fine but they won't stop but for ice age only one would of done i didn't know there was even a fourth one coming till today

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And now we got an Ice Age Christmas special airing on FOX tonight.