Is anybody else just sick of Ice Age?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm intrigued by the Christmas special, actually, and all it's anachronisms. The Flintstones barely get away with it because the whole show is anachronism, but explainable due to the dinosaurs doing everything.

That said, I think Dinosaurs did the best job inventing a holiday with the biggest anachronism of them all, worshiping and invention that won't exist for even longer, even though (according to the show's logic) they all the sudden had discovered everything in one fell swoop. At least, the technical bits like Televisions. They weren't even up to not sacrificing their elders until the show started. Plus, that one hacked the holiday season to pieces and riffed on the commercial aspects harder than Charlie Brown ever did, AND tore apart Christmas special cliches.

mr3urious

Reaction score
That said, I think Dinosaurs did the best job inventing a holiday with the biggest anachronism of them all, worshiping and invention that won't exist for even longer, even though (according to the show's logic) they all the sudden had discovered everything in one fell swoop. At least, the technical bits like Televisions. They weren't even up to not sacrificing their elders until the show started. Plus, that one hacked the holiday season to pieces and riffed on the commercial aspects harder than Charlie Brown ever did, AND tore apart Christmas special cliches.
I watched that special recently on YT, and I thought it was hilarious, and still as relevant today! "We wish you a Happy Fridge Day/So come in and buy paint!"

beaker

Reaction score
I will say this... I'm more sick of seeing Angry birds everywhere. ONLY because JC Penny basically has walls and walls of new Angry birds shirts coming in all the time and the retro gaming/animation/movie shirts seem to have got a backseat to them. And remember, I LOOOOOOVE my cartoon T-shirts.
Yeah you cant go anywhere without seeing Angry Birds and Angry Birds ripoffs every single store you go to. And a lot of it. Every mall store has it, from hall mark, hot topic to spencers. I played the game for two weeks, beat every level and was done.

I kind of got away from t shirts, I amassed such a large amount over the years, now Im more just into vintage button shirts and oddball shirts, but now and then Ill see a cool cartoon shirt. IM LOVING the threadless muppet shirts. But all this cartoon shirt stuff is ubiqutious. Last one I got was rockos modern life at hot topic

beaker

Reaction score
I'm intrigued by the Christmas special, actually, and all it's anachronisms. The Flintstones barely get away with it because the whole show is anachronism, but explainable due to the dinosaurs doing everything.

What? Nothing beats Festivus!(For the restovus) Oh and the Fraggle Rock rock sharing tradition from Muppet Family Christmas:smile: Yeah Dinosaurs was brilliant. For a whole year I listed my religion as Potatoism.

What did you think of the Monsters vs Aliens halloween special or the Madagascar Christmas special?

Also I have to hand it to you, the fact you actually were able to sit through Ice Age, Smurfs, Yogi Bear and other cgi kids movies makes me think you have nerves of steel. Every year I feel more and more nauseated by all that stuff. So when something visionary comes along like Rango/Up/MvA or stop motion(thats so clean it looks like its cgi) like Coraline or ParaNorman I get excited. I also dug The Fantastic Mr Fox as well.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Also I have to hand it to you, the fact you actually were able to sit through Ice Age, Smurfs, Yogi Bear and other cgi kids movies makes me think you have nerves of steel. Every year I feel more and more nauseated by all that stuff. So when something visionary comes along like Rango/Up/MvA or stop motion(thats so clean it looks like its cgi) like Coraline or ParaNorman I get excited. I also dug The Fantastic Mr Fox as well.
Well, considering the first Ice age was, what... like 2002, I was in college, we get our Spring Break in March, which is STILL winter so you can't even do anything fun... Ice Age was a godsend that year. Other than that, I'd just have another day of sleeping in waiting for college to start up again.

Yogi was a mistake to watch on every count... though, I can't fault the CGI Yogi or BooBoo... that was the good portion of the movie... everything else tried too hard to be the lame Garfield flick. Smurfs was aversion therapy gone awry... I shamefully admit to enjoying it. Wouldn't if it wasn't for Hank Azaria or Neil Patrick Harris. Still annoyed at the whole goin' to New York thing though. I refuse to see another Chipmunks, only because the second one was so incredibly uneven... only liked the first one because of David Cross's slimy record producer.

I manage to give every Disney and Dreamworks film a chance... maybe Blue Sky ones if they strike me interesting or I'm just bored enough to want to get out of the house and I catch a matinee... but when it comes to something stop motion or 2-D I jump up and down with excitement. I was this close to seeing Harold And Kumarr Christmas JUST for the stop motion sequence. I freaking LOOOOOVE stop motion. If that pathetic Arthur Christmas movie was stop motion, I'd see it week after I saw the Muppets. I'm HUUUGELY looking forward to Frankenweenie. Still kicking myself for missing Curious George and Persepolis in theaters. Persepolis was just gorgeous all over in simplistic black and white. I hate myself for missing it, but it was only at art house theaters.

Still, I like animated movies and I give things a reasonable benifit of the doubt. I sound like I complain about everything, but I'm pretty upbeat and willing to give things a chance. Something would have to be on a level of Gnomeo and Julliet horrid for me not to wanna give it a shot.

robodog

Reaction score
Glad to see people around here like Monsters Vs Aliens. It's probably my favorite Dreamworks movie.

I agree about the Dinosaurs holiday thing. That's still one of my all time favorite shows even though the finale was one of the most depressing things I'd ever seen. The only thing that compares is the last episode of ALF where he gets caught by the government.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Monsters VS Aliens was great. I didn't expect it to be as great as it was and I wish I saw it in 3-D... but that's back when only one VERY expensive theater had it (now they all do). It definitely shows Dreamworks had a jump in quality ever since their terrible Finding Nemo with 'Tude movie. I also highly recommend Megamind... mainly because I got so sick of Super Hero parodies that it was refreshing to see someone take one of the few remaining spins that old chestnut had by making the villain the protagonist, and showing the story from his POV.

I really hope that MVA cartoon comes to fruition... there was a pilot, and whatever happens with that pilot's up to Nick. I'm really enjoying Penguins of Madagascar and all it's goofy glory, and I'm dying to see the new Kung Fu Panda based series... but a MVA one would be brilliant. Especially considering there's not going to be a sequel because it failed to do excessively well in one country or something :rolleyes:. I just want an excuse for more MVA merchandise.

beaker

Reaction score
Dr Tooth: Im with you! I'll watch ANY stop motion. Ray Harryhausen. Those old Santa ones. Cryptic stuff like Jan Svankmajer, the Brothers Quay and the Tool videos. Anything by Henry Selick and or Tim Burton. Fantastic Mr Fox. Aardman studios.

You excited about the pirates one and ParaNorman? Tho Paranorman looks so slick, it almost looks more cgi than stop motion

Glad to see people around here like Monsters Vs Aliens. It's probably my favorite Dreamworks movie.

I agree about the Dinosaurs holiday thing. That's still one of my all time favorite shows even though the finale was one of the most depressing things I'd ever seen. The only thing that compares is the last episode of ALF where he gets caught by the government.
Oh my gosh, the 1996 Project Alf telefilm was dreadful. So much they coulda done...but Im a bigger fan of the cartoon than the tv sitcom.

And yay for other MvA fans! I cant stand the look, color or feel of most Dreamworks(tho I have a soft spot for the penguins of madagascar) so when I saw the trailer for MvA I could barely believe it. It has the best Dreamworks animation ever, the best colors and the most epic feel. Was Megamind any good?

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
They are making a Ice Age: Mammoth Holiday to show on TV on Thursday.
It's basically going to be the same thing again.
Sid is going to get in trouble and get into a bad situation.
The rest of the gang will go to rescue him.
And Scrat will chase after his nut.
I am just SICK of Ice Age!!

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Wow... they are really forcing this thing down everyone's throats if that's the plot.

Seems like it

Yeah... Ice Age had hardly any merchandise other than a BK kid's meal toy when it first came out... it had some hard to find plushes at Blockbuster... no one really seemed to jump on them (though I rarely saw Scratt or Sid) . Then they had some stuff with the second movie and it did alright, more with the third, and that stuff actually did well (though I never managed to get Buck, the only decent thing about the film)... Mark my words, whatever comes out for IA4 will be a TRU exclusive. Actually, everything but TY's Bean Bags were TRU exclusives for the 3rd movie anyway.

Other than a strongly forced reference in Family Guy and another in the Simpsons, you rarely hear anything about it. And those are Fox Shows... Well, Mad made a reference to it at one point, I know that.

I only saw that for the Animaniacs short they had before it. Worth it. But the film itself... the thing about Don Bluth's stuff was that he followed his own path. Land Before Time, American Tale... Disney wasn't doing films like that around then... But Thumbelina was trying really hard to be Disney, and just not getting there. The stuff that was supposed to be comedic fell flat, the stuff they added in for boys seemed too girly for them, and not girly enough for the girls. It needed a stronger script. I liked Anastasia a bit more. That's why Titan was such a shame... he tried very hard to go back to NOT doing Disney princess style movies... and because it was its own thing, it just fell by the wayside. Same thing happened with Iron Giant. It was a brilliant, wonderful movie... but because it wasn't Princesses or had the Disney label slapped on it, no one cared. Now it's a HUUUUGE cult hit.

That said, Disney's biggest animated hit wasn't even a Princess movie. Unless you count Nala somehow.
are you serious? Are they really making a fourth? This franchise has got to end soon! Who wants to see this already?