Is anybody else just sick of Ice Age?

beaker

Reaction score
Im sick of cgi kids films in general. I thought it was cute in 1998, with Antz and Bugs Life...but now its just beyond over saturation.

I actually couldnt stand Ice Age...I loved the lispy sloth guy, he felt kind of Muppety. What was his name, Sid? But the cgi, tone, feel had me bored to tears. I refuse to see Open Season or Hoodwinked or any of these cgi over live action hybrid movies.

The only cgi kids films I think really deliver the goods:

rango(blows away even pixar animation, amazing feel and look)
toy story films
up
robots
finding nemo
monsters vs aliens
chicken little(even tho its not pixar, i think its pixar quality)
ratatoie
monsters inc
the incredibles

And, that's about it. Well a part of me kind of likes the Madagascar movies, even tho DWA uses for some bizarre reason 90's era cgi for it. Otherwise I cant stand most Dreamworks animation.

beaker

Reaction score
I have no idea what you mean...*glances at avatar*
Dude, you never saw We're Back? Its one of my all time favorite animated films...I miss when 2d animation was a proud industry, and there was always good quality 2d films in theaters.

Im surprised they didnt pull a Were Back for Ice Age 3...heck Jurassic Park pulled a We're Back by the end of the second film!

Puckrox

Reaction score
I'll do CGI on occasion. Usually just for Pixar. Though, I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed Tangled. That movie is one of my all time favorites at this point. It is such a treat.

And there are some of the older ones I still like of course (the first Shrek, the first Ice Age, Horton Hears a Who, etc.). But that's pretty much it.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Dude, you never saw We're Back? Its one of my all time favorite animated films...I miss when 2d animation was a proud industry, and there was always good quality 2d films in theaters.

Im surprised they didnt pull a Were Back for Ice Age 3...heck Jurassic Park pulled a We're Back by the end of the second film!
Um...We're Back is one of my favorite movies. I have Louie as my avatar right now...soooo...unless there is another We're Back I dont know about...

I just dont know what you mean by pulling a We're Back

Puckrox

Reaction score
I just dont know what you mean by pulling a We're Back
I'm guessing he means that they're going to be taking the prehistoric characters in Ice Age (Sid, Manny, Diego, etc.) and they'll be bringing them to present day with humans and civilizations. I haven't heard anything on this, that just makes the most sense.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Im sick of cgi kids films in general. I thought it was cute in 1998, with Antz and Bugs Life...but now its just beyond over saturation.

I actually couldnt stand Ice Age...I loved the lispy sloth guy, he felt kind of Muppety. What was his name, Sid? But the cgi, tone, feel had me bored to tears. I refuse to see Open Season or Hoodwinked or any of these cgi over live action hybrid movies.
I really think everyone in the past decade now was trying too hard to be Dreamworks. not Pixar... Dreamworks. They all wanted to come up with their own Shrek. And so all these little animation firms came out of the woodwork and made films ranging from almost as good to quite terrible. I must give a shout out to Igor, even though the saccharine ending almost killed the delightfully macabre feel of the rest of the movie... I mean, Steve Buschemi played a constantly suicidal rabbit cursed with immortality. And it's played for laughs! How dark can you get? Though, I think he was the only actor ho could pull that sort of thing off. Someone else would have made him too depressing... but he managed to make the character just miserable enough to work.

As you know, I refuse to give Sony the time of day or even acknowledge them. Universal? I didn't see Hop and I don't plan on seeing The Lorax (Danny Devito or No Danny Devito... and he's one of my favorite actors), but I found Despicable Me to be quite enjoyable. Blue Sky does wonders visually, but their movies always manage to lack something that I can't put my finger on. Like they're almost finished before they sent them out. Other than that, they're a sea of wanna bes and only Pixar really managed to do CGI justice... Dreamworks has been getting solidly better lately.

But I wanna see more 2-D movies. Well done ones. I'm not seeing something as bad as Thumbelina was ever again. We tend to forget how many bad 2-D movies there were that era too... they all wanted to be Disney after Disney did the Little Mermaid. Some were good, some were shockingly bad but had good animation. Quest For Camelot had some fun sidekick characters, but everything screamed Disney Movie Cliche.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I'm guessing he means that they're going to be taking the prehistoric characters in Ice Age (Sid, Manny, Diego, etc.) and they'll be bringing them to present day with humans and civilizations. I haven't heard anything on this, that just makes the most sense.
Thats what I thought, but a summary I found says they will be fighting pirates. It suggests they drift out to sea and encounter them. I'm not entirely sure how thats pulling a We're Back :/

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm not seeing something as bad as Thumbelina was ever again.
I don't think Thumbelina was that bad. Sure, it falls too far into Disney territory (something that Don Bluth was against), but I find it to be one of the better adaptations of Hans Christian Andersen's story.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wow... they are really forcing this thing down everyone's throats if that's the plot.

Seems like it

You guys are 100% right, they are trying to make it their Shrek. IMO, they're failing though. I have rarely heard anyone mention Ice Age, ever.
Yeah... Ice Age had hardly any merchandise other than a BK kid's meal toy when it first came out... it had some hard to find plushes at Blockbuster... no one really seemed to jump on them (though I rarely saw Scratt or Sid) . Then they had some stuff with the second movie and it did alright, more with the third, and that stuff actually did well (though I never managed to get Buck, the only decent thing about the film)... Mark my words, whatever comes out for IA4 will be a TRU exclusive. Actually, everything but TY's Bean Bags were TRU exclusives for the 3rd movie anyway.

Other than a strongly forced reference in Family Guy and another in the Simpsons, you rarely hear anything about it. And those are Fox Shows... Well, Mad made a reference to it at one point, I know that.

I don't think Thumbelina was that bad. Sure, it falls too far into Disney territory (something that Don Bluth was against), but I find it to be one of the better adaptations of Hans Christian Andersen's story.
I only saw that for the Animaniacs short they had before it. Worth it. But the film itself... the thing about Don Bluth's stuff was that he followed his own path. Land Before Time, American Tale... Disney wasn't doing films like that around then... But Thumbelina was trying really hard to be Disney, and just not getting there. The stuff that was supposed to be comedic fell flat, the stuff they added in for boys seemed too girly for them, and not girly enough for the girls. It needed a stronger script. I liked Anastasia a bit more. That's why Titan was such a shame... he tried very hard to go back to NOT doing Disney princess style movies... and because it was its own thing, it just fell by the wayside. Same thing happened with Iron Giant. It was a brilliant, wonderful movie... but because it wasn't Princesses or had the Disney label slapped on it, no one cared. Now it's a HUUUUGE cult hit.

That said, Disney's biggest animated hit wasn't even a Princess movie. Unless you count Nala somehow.

Puckrox

Reaction score
I'm not seeing something as bad as Thumbelina was ever again.
Woooaaaah. Hey now. Thumbelina was an essential part of my childhood, as were all the Don Bluth movies. I still adore all of those movies.