Is anybody else just sick of Ice Age?

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
This first film was terrific. Far from my favorite animated movie but when you look back at everything else that came out at the time, and what we've later received, it stands out as a great movie.

The sequel pretty much could have just been called "Ice Age 2: The Search For More Money". Aside from the Scrat scenes, even my 14 year old self back then knew it was garbage. I didn't even bother with Dawn of the Dinosaurs but it seems impossible to escape this franchise. Scrat shorts that seem to be in front of every Fox movie, a Christmas special 9 years after the first movie came out (another rant for another time) and a FOURTH film?!

They've milked this franchise more than even Shrek was milked by DreamWorks. I try to ignore it but there's no escaping Ice Age. It's insanity I tell ya! I just wish Blue Sky would make more original movies than doing another god **** Ice Age.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You answered your own question.

Fox desperately wants to make Ice Age their Shrek. I mean, really. They are.

I don't think as of yet they've quite gone that far.

Shrek had 4 movies a spinoff of Puss in Boots, 2 Christmas specials, a Halloween special, a 3-D movie pack in, and a 3-D movie Universal Theme park attraction (dunno if the two are related, though). Consider Shrek was supposed to be 5 or 6 movies (not including PIB) until they decided to end it with some dignity. While Ice Age has gotten out of hand, it hasn't gotten to quite that point yet.

I sort of dig the movies, if only for Sid and Skratt... the third one was only fun because of Buck (but was the gay joke really necessary?) I refuse to see anything else, but kinda wanna see the completely anachronistic Christmas special. I mean, it IS a dumb idea, since Christ wasn't born for another several hundred thousand years, let alone the fact the Priests who evolved into our Modern Day Santas won't be born until well after that too. I have the same problem with The Flintstones, only they have the excuse that everything's anachronistic.

I think Kung Fu Panda (and shockingly Star Wars) had the right idea, and just invented some generic Christmas-like Holiday. It would have worked so much better.

On to Blue Sky... I think they make pretty good films that somehow manage to be missing something. I really wish they'd try to milk Robots, that's their finest film (at the very least visually)... I still haven't seen Rio, so I can't really judge that one.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I refuse to see anything else, but kinda wanna see the completely anachronistic Christmas special. I mean, it IS a dumb idea, since Christ wasn't born for another several hundred thousand years, let alone the fact the Priests who evolved into our Modern Day Santas won't be born until well after that too. I have the same problem with The Flintstones, only they have the excuse that everything's anachronistic.
Not to mention Santa Claus is in the Ice Age Christmas special. :oops:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I still have not seen Ice Age 2 completely. I just can't make it through the movie. 3 was meh but it had its moments.

4 is pushing it. Have film makers learned nothing from pumping out too many Land Before Times? Oh wait, its that established brands sell, even if the movie sucks. 3 was about when LBT went downhill. But that could just be the fact I think 3 is the best one...

Puckrox

Reaction score
I love the first Ice Age. It's so good, and it always aired on TV on Thankgiving growing up so my brother and I would always watch it then. But, yeah, the others one are just not that great... Ugh. I hate when a franchise takes something and pushes it passed its limits.

TSSD

Reaction score
The first one was okay, but I just ignored it after the second one. You guys are 100% right, they are trying to make it their Shrek. IMO, they're failing though. I have rarely heard anyone mention Ice Age, ever. Not to mention, it's been years since the first one was released (I remember watching it on VHS back in the 1st grade), so it's not even in anyone's mind, except for when it's on TV, or when they're releasing the latest piece of crud they call a sequel. I just wonder how long these things are gonna go on for. I mean, sooner or later it's gonna be Ice Age: Manny Goes Extinct, or something like that.
a 3-D movie pack in, and a 3-D movie Universal Theme park attraction (dunno if the two are related, though).
They are. The 3-D movie is the same film as the one used in Shrek 4-D, the ride at Universal.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I mean, sooner or later it's gonna be Ice Age: Manny Goes Extinct, or something like that. They are.
I've heard that Ice Age 4 is going to pull a We're Back if you know what I mean... :eek: