Is anybody else just sick of Ice Age?

Beauregard

Reaction score
I honestly thought that the second Ice Age would have been set in the present day with them thawing out, and it kinda would have fit with their characters. And with their sense of humor, it would have worked. But that would have had to be it really, Ice Age and then Modern Age. They'd be no further room for them to move forward or back.

I've enjoyed them so far, although I hated the annoying "I'm a possum" storyline in the second movie, and the first movie was much more emotionally touching (possibly because of the inclusions of humans?) I haven't even seen the second one yet, because I can't be bothered to pay for it.

But I have no problem with them making hundreds of the movies so long as they continue to make me laugh enough times to justify their existence. When the laughter stops, I'll stop watching.

However, I fail to see how their production or existence tars or damages the original movie in anyway.

Drtooth

Reaction score
However, I fail to see how their production or existence tars or damages the original movie in anyway.
Over saturation kills character and waters down their legacy. Just ask any Sesame Street fan that blames Elmo for everything wrong with the show. I even had problems with Disney's treatment of Pooh in the 90's- early 00's where he was the only character you'd see... even over Mickey Mouse. It has an unfortunate and completely adverse effect on back material. The classic wonderful stuff starts to mesh with the newer, more commercial stuff and it becomes noise.

Again, I feel that the only way the classic, amazing Pooh shorts were cheapened was ONLY because of the legacy being hidden behind "Pooh dressed as something" toys. You need only revisit the classics to realize that's where the real heart is. Same deal with Elmo. Kevin's a wonderful performer, Elmo's a great character when used properly... those Kermit lectures with Elmo were a riot... but when you see nothing BUT Elmo toys and Elmo media, you tend to forget that.

Of course, I dig the Ice Age Movies... that is, I enjoyed them but don't hold them up to a high regard. I even kinda enjoyed both sequels and kinda wanna see the anachronistic Christmas special... but with every film franchise, the creators have to say, we need to ride off into the sunset and not keep jumping out from behind the curtain until someone pulls the cane out and drags you back behind. Me? I just wanna see the creative team behind it do something else. Something new. One thing should not be a creator or creative team's life work. Plus, Robots was a superior film anyway. Seems that they'd build a franchise on Rio next... can't judge it since I missed it and have to wait to get or rent the movie.

beaker

Reaction score
The Ice Age movies are 90 minutes of meh cgi in the white snow...not exactly a stunning visual treat.

Im glad Disney took a chance with Princess and the Frog, tho its kind of funny how they completely got rid of the very thing that made and makes them Disney: traditional 2d films. But see I GET why 2d films went away...look at the last ones to come out a decade ago: Treasure Planet, Titan AD, Atlantis, Brother Bear, Home on the Range...all of them I felt were dreadfully boring. Lilo was ok, but I feel Fantasia 2000 and Emperor's New Groove were Disney's 2d swan song(other than the original Pooh films like Tigger and Heffalumps which I love)

But I try. I gave Rio a chance. Gave Over The Hedge a chance. I refuse to give cgi over live action a chance, as I cant even make it through the previews.

Im not dogging on cgi though in kids films. I thought cgi was used to great effect in Jim Henson Company's Mirrormask.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But see I GET why 2d films went away...look at the last ones to come out a decade ago: Treasure Planet, Titan AD, Atlantis, Brother Bear, Home on the Range...all of them I felt were dreadfully boring.
It really seems that Disney was trying to take a dive with Brother Bear and Home on the Range. They just wanted an excuse to dump 2-D traditional. I will say Brother Bear was kinda fun, at least it did Native American Legend better than that other film they did. I have no idea what Home on the Range was supposed to be. I liked the look, but the plot was disturbingly weird. Atlantis was a gamble that didn't pay off, but I dug it (I REALLY loved the cereal they had for it... chocolate cookies and frosted cheerios? Delicious). Lilo and Stitch was a huge leap of faith that paid off big time in the means of 3 DTV movies, a cartoon series, a special Japanese Cartoon series that was similar, and a crap load of merchandise.

But it's a shame they treated Emperor's New Groove like a red haired step child... somehow they managed it was good enough to have a DTV sequel and a cartoon series, but not good enough for merchandising (though Yzma is slowly being absorbed into the Disney Villains camp). But that movie was highly underrated, and DON'T give me that "it was about an Emperor who loved his country" stuff... that movie would have been dull and uninteresting.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I will say this... I'm more sick of seeing Angry birds everywhere. ONLY because JC Penny basically has walls and walls of new Angry birds shirts coming in all the time and the retro gaming/animation/movie shirts seem to have got a backseat to them. And remember, I LOOOOOOVE my cartoon T-shirts.

Puckrox

Reaction score
I can agree that Angry Birds merchandise is a bit ridiculous... but that game has become my go to thing to do when I get bored in lecture classes. (And by lecture classes I mean solely my biology class because, dear god, I'm never going to need to know what a nucleotide is. Ever.)

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's probably a fun game and I'd enjoy it... but there really was an explosion of merchandise.

Still, I get that it's popular, but people that don't care for it want T-Shirts too.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I honestly haven't seen ANY of the movies. Usually I watch a lot of animation, but these have slipped past me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You really haven't missed all that much. They're decent in cases, but they weren't at all groundbreaking. The first one's all you really need to see if you absolutely have to.

robodog

Reaction score
I like the Ice Age movies well enough. They aren't my favorite animated movies but they're a decent enough time killer. I'll probably end up watching the Christmas show even though it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.