Your Thoughts: The Muppets Character Encyclopedia

beakerboy12

Reaction score
How does Constantnes page look
POSSIBLE SPOILERS

The Constantine spread (yes, he gets two pages) is very intricate and hints at a lot of his roles in MMW. Specifically, his relationship with Miss Piggy. The section regarding it says, "Constantine has fought hardened criminals and fierce law enforcement agents, but he has never come up against anyone like Miss Piggy."

It also says he is a trained martial artist, an expert in explosives, a master of escape, and enjoys knitting. The last one, I suspect won't be focused on much in the new movie.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One thing I had wondered which is confirmed by me reading the book is the fact that there's no humans pictured in this (well, actually, the Nigel page has an image of the control room, including some monitors that have a human on them, though I can't tell who that human is, and one of Paul Williams' feet can be glimpsed on the Beautiful Day Monster page). A few celebrities are mentioned (especially for characters who debuted on shows or specials where the hosts' name was in the title).

It's especially obvious they were avoiding images of humans on the Moopets page, where Animool is mentioned but the page says that he asked to not be pictured in the book.

I wondered if it would be weird for the Walter page to not have any images of Jason Segal with him, and Gary isn't even mentioned on the page, but yet it actually doesn't feel weird for the Walter section to not acknowledge Gary at all. That's a good sign, that Walter can continue to be a major character without it being weird that Gary's no longer a part of his life.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was surprised to hear that a Snowth appears in the section on Koozebane. I think that's the only time the Snowths have been mentioned to be from that planet. With the Snowths having their own page (with Mahna Mahna), it would have been better if the space was used for characters not in the book who actually were referred to as being from Koozebane, like the Phoob, the Spooble, and The Extremes. I also saw that the Koozebane section includes Cute, the trumpet-nosed Fazoob, even though the Fazoobs have their own page as well.

Well, after looking at that section, it seems the Snowth, Cute, and a few other Koozebanians are all featured in an image where they are taking The Newsman away. I haven't seen this image before, but I guess it doesn't exactly mean that the Snowths are from Koozebane (it could just be that a Snowth was among them in taking The Newsman).

I wonder what that image could be from. A deleted sketch (it's clearly not a still, but it seems they took pictures of nearly every scene from the show. Also of note is that all of the characters in that image debuted in the first season or earlier, though The Newsman does have his glasses in that photo, though it can be a little hard to see them)? A Muppet annual or Muppet Magazine (I feel the image kind of has a 1980s quality to it)? Muppets Most Wanted (though most of the characters in that photo haven't been confirmed to be in the new movie, nor were they rebuilt for the last film)?

The section on Timmy Monster doesn't include any photos of the season two Timmy, or the rare original Timmy. I wondered if photos or acknowledgements of those changes occurred (after all, the book does give explanations for Crazy Harry originally being called Crazy Donald, and Behemoth recently being called Gene, but then again, the sections on Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, and Miss Piggy don't include images of the original puppets).

There's a picture from an alternate angle of the Inch Worm sketch with Lenny Lizard (as far as I know, Lenny only did that sketch once). I know that photos were taken from many of the shows sketches (many such images appear in the Muppet annuals, back covers of videos, and Jim Henson: The Works), but there's also a different non-still photo of that sketch on the back of the Muppet Moments VHS packaging.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
The book is amazing and very vibrant, but the thing that stood out for me was on Lydia the Tattoed Pig's page where it claims that the tattoos where inked by 'Maury James'.

Ahhh, I see what you did there Mr Shemin. I'm onto you....

atrane

Reaction score
Okay, as promised, below is the link for my blog review at WDWHappyplace.com. Keep in mind, it's not uber detailed. The site itself is Disney focused, so I also included some descriptions of the "Art of Frozen" book I'd recently purchased. I included some shots of the cover and a couple of pages. It's not a thorough disection, just mainly to introduce their listeners to new Disney merch.
While you're there... I also wrote a Muppet Christmas Carol piece, comparing it to the Jim Carrey and Mickey Mouse versions. Thanks ya'll, and check out the podcast if you're a Disney fan...
http://www.wdwhappyplace.com/2014/02/18/disney-book-reviews-from-screen-to-page-anthony-markham/

muppetlover123

Reaction score
I got mine today and wow so many MMW high res screen shots love the main 6 with the exception of walter from the opening number. And piggy rocking a red head look in the opening number wow oh wow but the book overall is really good

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's interesting how in the introduction Kermit asks all the monsters who aren't included not to eat him for it, as it seems like it has almost every Muppet monster, at least of those introduced on The Muppet Show (and then some before, like Splurge, who was retired before the show began). Should we consider the "Frackles" section to include all Frackles by extension, even if only three are pictured there?

When it comes to monsters who were introduced on The Muppet Show or later (and Sesame Street doesn't count), this book doesn't have the monsters from Little Muppet Monsters, or the one from Doug Hennings' magic act, or that monster puppet shown being built in The Secrets of the Muppets (has he ever had a known identity?), or that monster who resembles Grover who appeared on the cover of a Muppet book, one of the Sing-Along tapes, and in the big finale in The Muppets (I think he was also in a Muppet Meeting Film). With very few Jim Henson Hour characters in this, I wonder if Anthony and Fern were included because they are monsters.