When you need to rant...

datman24

Reaction score
So two days ago, my home of 27 and a half years was sold. It was the only home that I've consciously known. The new owners, whom I already met, welcomed me in with open arms. Of course, I wanted to call someone about this. I was only able to reach my dad, big mistake. He was not happy about me going inside my lifelong home, thinking that I was stalking the new owners or something, despite the fact that they welcomed me in with open arms. I cannot help it if I get sentimental over this stuff. Do you think it was wrong for me to re-visit my home, just two days after being sold?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Despite the fact that I've never lived in a single place for that long a stretch of time, I can definitely say there have been certainly places I've lived throughout my life that I hold fonder memories of than others, and sometimes I am a little curious as to what those places are like nowadays. I know for certain that at least one of them was converted from residential property into commercial property years back.

Admittedly, I attempted a pseudo-autobiographical road trip movie several years ago where I basically drive by every place I've lived growing up just to see how much it's like I remembered them or how much they've changed since then, but I was never really able to do that: my driving skills were still quite lacking (I had just gotten my licenses a few months prior), and I had a bad camera at the time that didn't shoot video in bright sunlight very well, but it seems like whenever we'd get a cloudy day, it'd rain, and I didn't want to drive in the rain so I eventually lost interest and gave up.

Would I personally attempt actually stepping foot into any of the places I lived in again? Not exactly, again, I would just drive by for a look, but supposing an opportunity arose like yours in which the current owners welcomed me in to look around, I may take it, as long as they were okay with it.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
So two days ago, my home of 27 and a half years was sold. It was the only home that I've consciously known. The new owners, whom I already met, welcomed me in with open arms. Of course, I wanted to call someone about this. I was only able to reach my dad, big mistake. He was not happy about me going inside my lifelong home, thinking that I was stalking the new owners or something, despite the fact that they welcomed me in with open arms. I cannot help it if I get sentimental over this stuff. Do you think it was wrong for me to re-visit my home, just two days after being sold?
Maybe it would’ve been good to wait. My parents sold their old house 15 years ago. I met the new owner, nice guy. I’ve since seen the house from the outside, but never inside.
It’s a mixed feeling. That was your old house, but it’s someone else’s now. I know sometimes it’s hard imagining someone else living there.
The house I’m in now is a hundred years old, and there were a ton of people before me. There will probably be people after me, but it’s okay. Wherever you are is home.

datman24

Reaction score
Would I personally attempt actually stepping foot into any of the places I lived in again? Not exactly, again, I would just drive by for a look, but supposing an opportunity arose like yours in which the current owners welcomed me in to look around, I may take it, as long as they were okay with it.
I didn't ask to go inside, but they welcomed me the opportunity to do so, so how I could I not say no. Maybe it was a little too soon, but I'm still going through the grief of losing that home.

datman24

Reaction score
The house I’m in now is a hundred years old, and there were a ton of people before me. There will probably be people after me, but it’s okay. Wherever you are is home.
Well my house is nearly 50 years old, and we were only the second owners of that home.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I understand your feeling of grief, it’s a natural thing. It will pass. It just takes time.
Wherever you are now, just keep trying to make good memories there. If you do have to move again, the change won’t seem so drastic.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Dude, part of my absence from this forum last year was stress of selling my old house and depression when I moved in. I visit my old house on days if I need to get out of this horrible apartment I live in (and just want to see my old neighborhood). You weren’t going out of your way to try and get information about them or get your house back. You just wanted to meet them. I see nothing wrong with that at all.

datman24

Reaction score
Dude, part of my absence from this forum last year was stress of selling my old house and depression when I moved in. I visit my old house on days if I need to get out of this horrible apartment I live in (and just want to see my old neighborhood). You weren’t going out of your way to try and get information about them or get your house back. You just wanted to meet them. I see nothing wrong with that at all.
Well, to be fair, I already met them before, I just wanted to greet them as first time owners. I never asked to go inside, they offered it right on the spot. I can't help it if I am sentimental over this, my father does not seem to understand since he isn't that sentimental over his childhood home.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
If they let you in then that’s all there is to it. They personally asked if you’d like to come in and obliged. I think your dad just doesn’t understand your position and is jumping to conclusions, blinded from his own thoughts. I felt that way with my folks when we were selling our house and I didn’t speak with them for awhile after I moved out. We’ve since found peace and moved on.

If you miss your old place then there’s nothing wrong with that. You grew up in it and had many fond memories. I’d say the most you could do is print out a picture to remember it. That’s what I did.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I've had to basically train myself to not get really sentimental over anything, since I've learned from lifelong experience that nothing is ours forever, and the more sentimentality you have tied to something, the more it hurts to lose it or have to let go - and believe me, there are certain places I've lived that I've really loved, so to have to move out of them and move somewhere else that wasn't as pleasant was certainly a depressing experience to say the least . . . I can remember hating one house we lived in so much, that any chance to get out of the house (school, church, a trip to the grocery store, going out to eat, running errands, anything of the sort), I would jump at the chance, and any time either of my parents would say it was time to go home, I'd actually think in the back of my mind please no, I don't want to go home.

And the thing of it is, this was actually a really nice house, I won't lie: nice spacious living room, a huge kitchen you could actually move around in, a screened-in back porch, my parents' room was huge and their master bath had a walk-in shower and even a big bath tub . . . but then the bedrooms on the opposite side of the house were so ridiculously tiny, I had almost no space to walk in my room, and I basically had to split my bedroom into two just to fit my furniture and such somewhere. On top of that, it was in one of those kinds of subdivisions you see depicted in OVER THE HEDGE, where there's hundreds of houses that look the same, all just inches apart, giving off that really uninviting and impersonal feeling . . . and the subdivision was kind of tucked away from much of the rest of town, so it really felt like living in an isolation bubble.

Ironically, I was actually finally starting to get used and adjusted to the place when we ended up having to move out again, but still, when that happened, I genuinely considered it a blessing in disguise.