What sketches scared you as a kid?

Chris Von Count

Reaction score
Bus Stop Animation

Another Sesame Street cartoon that I thought was pretty scary was the b&w animation one about a bus stop. I remember the music was very different then in some of the cartoons, and the guy who provided the VO for the cartoon was pretty creep to me.
It sounded almost like he was in a zombified state, just very creepy. Youtube has that cartoon, I watched it seceral times before and it still gets under my skin.:concern:

Ziffel

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
Remember the sketch with red and green anything muppets taking turns saying the alphabet? The very beginning of it scared me because suddenly there was a blue screen and a loud booming sound and then the red muppet pranced up the screen and said "A". Something about that frightened me as a child. They used to repeat this segment fairly often and there was a period where I would cover my ears every time another segment was about to end ( in case this one was the next one!)
This was my entry over a year ago when I first saw this thread. This sketch was the one that scared me the worst as kid. :smile: It's one that rarely ever gets talked about. And if it ever appears on youtube or on a classic SS dvd I bet I will mute the sound until the red muppet has raced up the screen and says, "A"! Glad I'm not the only adult like that, as Chris Von Count mentioned in the last post that a bus stop clip still gets under his skin. :smile:

Well, after all, if we're reliving a little of our childhood through these classic clips it oughta include the fear emotions too. Heh heh.

Cookie fan

Reaction score
Chris Von Count said:
I remember that cartoon. That was pretty creepy too, the music didn't help either.:eek:
I hated that music too. The cartoon looked like the Monty python show type of animation. I once read a suggestion at imdb.com that they should issue a Sesame Street Scariest Skits DVD, which I think is a very cool idea. This clip will definitely be in there.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Interesting you mention how it resembles the MP animation since it to debuted in 1969 though wasn't available in the US till the mid 70s.

Chris Von Count

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
This was my entry over a year ago when I first saw this thread. This sketch was the one that scared me the worst as kid. :smile: It's one that rarely ever gets talked about. And if it ever appears on youtube or on a classic SS dvd I bet I will mute the sound until the red muppet has raced up the screen and says, "A"! Glad I'm not the only adult like that, as Chris Von Count mentioned in the last post that a bus stop clip still gets under his skin. :smile:

Well, after all, if we're reliving a little of our childhood through these classic clips it oughta include the fear emotions too. Heh heh.

I don't think I remember that skit you are talking about Ziffel? Unless you can refresh my memory:smile:

Soul H

Reaction score
Cookie fan said:
I hated that music too. The cartoon looked like the Monty python show type of animation. I once read a suggestion at imdb.com that they should issue a Sesame Street Scariest Skits DVD, which I think is a very cool idea. This clip will definitely be in there.
That's quite an idea. What other clips would you think be on it?

Cookie fan

Reaction score
Soul H said:
That's quite an idea. What other clips would you think be on it?
Well, probably the following clips could be on it with Vincent Twice-Vincent Twice being the host, I'm not sure of the actual titles but:

* Frazzle (with the modified Chrissy from the alphabeats singing about Frazzle's emotions)
* The Frog and the Ox cartoon.
* Count hypnotizes Ernie and Bert.
* (Very vague to my memory but) The skit with a girl near cracks on a wall and she imagines the cracks turning into a monster.
* Anything with Beautiful Day Monster, especially the one where he has 4 eyes. (This was on youtube but its no longer there)
* The close up of Richard Pryor reciting the alphabet in his own distinct style. Somehow that gave me the creeps as a kid.

They're many more but my memory fails me from time to time.:frown: