What sketches scared you as a kid?

superfan

Reaction score
It wasn't really claymation as much as small marionette type puppets. Which part scared you...when the number eight fell or the daughters appearing in the windows one by one? The joker was little manic, admitedly.

Cute skit...too bad it scared you.

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember one time having a weird dream about the King of 8. The sketch went on normally, except whenever the king talked, his crown would jump up and down on his head. Pretty weird, huh?

muppetmonster

Reaction score
None of the sketches gave me nightmares, at least none that I can remember. But, there was one skit that kind of creeped me out. It was the one where Big Bird told Maria that he had a nightmare of possessed feather dusters, and she told him of Cookie Monster's nightmare with possessed cookies. But, this skit did not give me nightmares. It did though leave me with a troubling feeling of "Sesame Street."

Muppet Hockey

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and I have to say that the scariest sketch ever was the Ernie/Bert/Egyptian Tomb/Mummy one. In fact, I have been searching everywhere online for a picture of that scene and I was wondering if someone here knew where I could find one??? I'd like to show a few people the pic so they stop thinking I'm crazy (because those people never saw the skit). Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
-Jennifer :stick_out_tongue:

balana

Reaction score
I seem to share a lot of the skits that other people did. Ernie and Bert in the Egyptian tombs, the Yip-Yip Martians (mainly because before they'd come in there would be this strange-sounding music sort of stuff), Lifestyles of the Big & Little (the 2nd half, when Dickie Tick was around a giant), Caveman Days, the start of Mysterious Theatre (with Vincent Twice), Ernie's eyes after the Count spent the night...

There's a couple things that scared me that I haven't seen in here yet. One was a Kermit News Flash where he interviewed Jack and the Beanstalk (if I remember right and didn't just imagine this) where Kermit climbs up the beanstalk, runs into Jack on the way up who tells him not to go, but then Kermit makes it to the top and runs into a giant (which I think was just a head) and then goes something like 'Climb, climb, down the beanstaaaaaalk!' and the giant looks at the camera and says 'They come to visit, but they never stay.' Does anyone else remember this one?

And in the special where the cast of Sesame Street goes to the Metropolitan Museum of art, I always hated the clocks they showed between segments, and also the deamon that comes to visit Sahu.

I was also never too crazy of the two songs done by How Now Brown and the Moo Wave of Danger's No Stranger and Wet Paint. Danger was somewhat violent (explosions in the background, a guy playing piano being dropped), and the end of Wet Paint was a bit strange. (I haven't seen them in a long time, but I'd be interested to see them again.)

I also remember a scene of a U sitting on a hill with two muppets singing, and at the end of the song, the U turns around and says 'Unbelievable.' but I thought it looked somewhat mad and thus scary.

Then there was this guy that was a DJ that had an intro to a song with 3 muppets singing 'Won't you be my special D' or something like that. He had really wild hair, kind of a gruff voice, and talked too fast to understand.

HarveyK

Reaction score
I just remembered a few more creepy clips. The speder in Little Miss Muffett was scary to me as a tyke and there was a clip about dragons that freaked me out. I can't remember the story that goes with it, but I think it was some kind of Asian tale. Does anyone recall?

SesameMike

Reaction score
HarveyK said:
The spider in Little Miss Muffet was scary to me as a tyke
There were actually two skits with Little Miss Muffet in the early years.

One skit had a Guy Smiley like Muppet as a movie or TV director of a Little Miss Muffet sequence. He would direct everyone to their places, then they played background music as an unseen voiceover recited the poem as LMM acted out her part (the tuffet would "crunch" each time she sat on it). But every time they got to "Along came a spider" they'd have to cut because the Anything Muppet that played the spider kept wearing the wrong costume. I think one time he was a fish. Finally, LMM herself ripped off the AM's incorrect costume and added the spider parts. She described the parts as she added them, such as the 8 legs. Upon completion, she was like "There we are, a nice spider... A SPIDER??? AHHHHHHH!!!!" as she ran back and forth then off the set. VOICEOVER: "And frightened Miss Muffet away."

The other skit was just your usual News Flash with Kermit the Frog. Kermit saw Miss Muffet walking by, and asked if she was ready to do the poem. As best as I can recall:

LMM: "What poem"
KERMIT: "You know, the poem. 'Little Miss Muffet, sat on her tuffet...'"
L: "What's a tuffet?"
K: (points) "Isn't it that thing over there"
L: "No silly, that's my waterbed." (pulls off a blanket and we see the bed in motion)

Kermit then mentions the curds and whey. LMM objects.

K: "But you GOTTA eat curds and whey. It says so in the poem."
L: "Did you ever eat curds and whey?"
K: "Well, no..."
L: "THEN DON'T TELL ME I GOTTA EAT 'EM. They're YUCKY."
K: "Well then, what DO you eat?"
L: "Crunchy granola. And this is the good kind, with raisins and dates." (LMM sits on waterbed and eats the bowl of granola cereal she brought along)
K: "So then, I guess we have some of the poem. Little Miss Muffet, sat on her waterbed, eating her crunchy granola. (editor's note: this WAS in the mid-1970s) Of course now we have the spider..."
L: "What did you say?"
K: "Oh, nothing, nothing." (spoken softly) "I didn't want to alarm her about the spider part"
L: "Spiders? Aww, they don't scare us women anymore."

A spider muppet does arrive on the scene, but LMM had made it clear she was not afraid of them. So the spider decides to scare the frog instead. As Kermit is trying to wrap up the report...

SPIDER: "Hey, frog."
KERMIT: "Huh?"
SPIDER: "Boo."
KERMIT: "AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

Spider chases Kermit back and forth across the set, softly "boo"-ing a few times as he attempts to sign off.