1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Forum Upgrade May 25
    We will be upgrading our forum software on Saturday May 25. This is a major upgrade that will add many new features and enhance security.

3. Radionomy ends May 31
    Radionomy has announced that all US stations, including Muppet Central Radio, will be removed on May 31, 2019.

4. You Can Be a Muppeteer
    Watch the Sesame Street Puppeteer Workshop with the amazing Sesame Street performers: Jennifer Barnhart, Matt Vogel and Marty Robinson.

Dismiss Notice
  5. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

What sketches scared you as a kid?

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Jennifer, May 12, 2002.

1. wwfpooh

wwfpooh Well-Known Member

But at least Mr. Rogers believed in Big Bird. XD

2. WaiterGrover

WaiterGrover Member

Yes, I've seen both Mr. Rogers' appearance on SS, and :wisdom:'s appearance on "Mister Roger's Neighborhood"; I know of what you speak. There's no way that Fred would've ever been dismissive of Big Bird; he's only 6!
    Just to get back on topic, the B&E sketch featuring the repeating "H...H...H..." followed by Bert's stated enjoyment of "I..I..I..." scared me too.

3. wwfpooh

But it seemed that Fred was the only adult who truly believed Bird.

4. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets Well-Known Member

But is just seems upsetting to me that Fred never got to see him.:p But the wired part of the gag to me was that it seemed like the writers though that children thought is was funny of something.:confused:

5. wwfpooh

Yeah. Children in those days weren't cynical...yet.

6. Redsonga

Redsonga Well-Known Member

Ummm...I don't remember anyone thinking it was funny though:o

7. wwfpooh

Then where did the so-called scientific results come from?

8. Redsonga

I don't think there ever were any :o..That showed everyone thought the Snuffy is not seen by the adults idea was funny anyway...The trouble is they base what will 'work' on just a tiny group of 'test subjects' :sympathy:

9. wwfpooh

Which is why they should've diversified the test pool more.

10. Redsonga

They should have:p But then I was born a little bit after Snuffy was made 'real', so when they would go back and show shows where he wasn't it really made mini me sad:cry:

11. wwfpooh

But as long as you knew he existed, it really mattered not that the adults couldn't see him. In the end, the fans' & Big Bird's faith in Snuffy being real was rewarded, as he was made into a permenant one of the gang.

12. Redsonga

Well, it just made no sense to me that suddenly they went from seeing him to not seeing him..I never actually saw the storyline in order:cry:

13. wwfpooh

Ah...You got the whole "show new episodes and then repeat previous season episodes" deal, back then, huh? Me, I received mainly new episodes, due to our PBS affiliate.

14. Redsonga

Yup that was our deal..I never knew what was going on:sympathy:

15. wwfpooh

Thankfully, times have changed that.

16. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets Well-Known Member

I got this deal too and people think I'm crazy. But I never questioned what was going on, though.

17. wwfpooh

What fun...XD

18. FrogInTheGlen

FrogInTheGlen Well-Known Member

I must have been a very brave child, because most of the clips mentioned here didn't scare me at all! In fact, the Ernie and Bert in a pyramid sketch that most people were scared of was one of my favorites, and it was the first thing I looked for when I discovered that there was so much classic SS on You Tube. One thing that makes me laugh about it now is when Bert gets scared and says he's going home. From the way he and Ernie were talking earlier, it sounds like they're actually in Egypt. Is Bert going to run all the way to New York? Back to the hotel? :p

That being said, there was one clip that still disturbs me to this day. It was the "U Really Got a Hold on Me" song with....Smokey Robinson? I REALLY didn't like the way that letter was grabbing him, and I still feel creepy even thinking about it.

19. WaiterGrover

WaiterGrover Member

I've got to say, I never knew the whole "Snuffy" thing would spark this much discussion!

20. wwfpooh

Another Snuffy deal that would spark discussion would be the unaired "divorce" episode!