What sketches scared you as a kid?

Reaction score
Well, growing up in the 90's made it hard to see all the old skits. But they did reuse them, some of them at least. The ones that scared me were the ones with the African masked people counting to ten, and they'd pass from the left to the right of the screen, like some conveyor belt. And the Martians. AND the inner city kids. There was one about the kids eating with chopsticks that had me crying nightly. Don't know why. And there was some Muppet character with really crazy scary eyes..i think his name was Harry or something. It made me scream all the time. Anyone remember these? I hope so. Then i won't feel quite so bad.

On a slightly related topic, i had one of those Viewmasters (or whatever they're called) as a kid. You know, the ones where you put the discs in an you'd see pictures in 3D if you held them up to the light. Well, my older brother had one of the Michael Jackson video "Thriller" and I had one of Sesame Street. So he thought it'd be a riot if he replaced some of the scenes from MY disc with scenes from HIS disc and not tell me!!. So I innocently picked up my Viewmaster, and put my disc in. "Oh look, there's Ernie and Bert playing with string...awww...*click* OOOH and there's their cat playing with the string too! awww.....*click* oh and there's a mon--A MONSTER!!! WAAAAAAUGH!!!!" and i ran away screaming never to pick up a Viewmaster until I was 10. Anyone have this happen to them? I did.

SesameStreetGuy

Reaction score
I remember I was scared of that "Old MacDonald" skit with the Honkers, Dinger, Fluffy, and the Yip-Yip Martian. I was terrified of the part with Fluffy screaming.

I remember being freaked out also by this skit where a cowboy was on his horse singing about feelings until at the end this bear came at him and quietly said in a gruff voice "Susprise".

I also was scared of the news flash with the Large Blue Wolf, Ernie pulling Bert's nose off, skits with Frazzle, "Big Round Nose", and Captain Vegetable.

:eek:

Reaction score
Letter People

Wow that brought back memories fo-shore!

I was kinda scared of MR. M from the LETTER PEOPLE. Don't think he was a Henson puppet though. Mr. M and his munching mouth, I mean he was so ugly. That gave me the creeps and so did Frazzle. I didn't like this one episode from THE ELECTRIC COMPANY. It had Morgan Freeman playing a vampire and he was hiding in the background while this guy was singing in what looked like a haunted neighborhood. He kept getting closer and closer, just lurking behind him. And the guy didn't see him till the end and he tried to bite him. :frown:

Fuzzy and Blue

Reaction score
scary sketches

When I was like 3 years old, I was scared out of my mind of "The Word is No." I remember there being a huge pair of lips on the screen right at the beginning of it and Maria and Gina having really angry faces. I think that made me "afraid" of watching Sesame Street, but I eventually did get over it...I'm happy I did, though! I basically was raised on Sesame Street, but have just recently learned to appreciate it. My mom said it used to be her favorite show...and I used to be opposed to it since I thought it was "little kid" material, but I found that it can appeal to all ages.

~Dana~

Reaction score
Do you remember the man who was on a glass and talked in a really deep voice? he was kinda fun. He would dance and walk around on the counter tops i think. well i wasnt scared of him back in the day, but a couple years ago or less i had a nightmare about him and wish i could see him on TV again to calm my fear and remind me that he was an ok guy.

Reaction score
Also, anybody remember the episode on Sesame Street back in the 80's where the cast goes to HAWAII? I was horrified of the part where the mountain was in the shape of Snuffleufagus. I can't remember it all but I know it really scared me pretty bad.

And...
"The first sketch with the count where Ernie is building the pyramid with blocks and count keeps counting them, dissasembling it in the process. OK, it doesn't sounds scary but every time Ernie tries to stop him Count hypnotizes him, turning Ernie into some form of zombie!! He made this creepy face!"

That scared me too! lol I forgot about that one, his eyes weird!

samtherobot

Reaction score
Scared of these obscure ones...

Hi there. I've been a lurker for some time, but finally catching up on this thread has motivated me to join. Here are some things I haven't seen mentioned yet:

-I haven't seen the demonic "I" factory in years, but much later in music school, I heard "Enter Evening" by the Cecil Taylor Unit and it reminded me much of the "I" music. Perhaps someone can compare?

-The music from Alphabet Chat (this may have been revealed elsewhere) is sort of an edit of the Fugue No. 2 in C-minor by JS Bach. During a music class in college the Prof. started playing it and there was the melody plain as day! The song did scare me, but it was immediately diffused by the ridiculous problems the host would have in just trying to run the show.

-A counting sketch where a muppet (Cookie monster, I think) finds this weird cloth (green, maybe, valour?) and when he opens it up it has the number one superimposed on it in that 70's-effects kind of way. He keeps folding it up and unfolding it quickly and it continues...2, 3, 4, 5, etc...until he sees a small Kermit inside! Kermit says something (can't remember what) and then cookie starts to fold up the cloth again and we hear Kermit yelling "Nooooo!"

-A strange rubberband-like creature (but more 'digital' if that's possible back then) animation with only two little eyes and a mouth. There were odd, spacey background noises and the ubiquitous black background. He would count from 1 to 10 or so, and with each number a strange fizzy sound and shape would race across the bottom of the screen. Randomly, it would pause between numbers and have a little seizure-like incident (just for a second) and then go back to counting.

-The "Danger" sketch with Little Jerry (?) and that band. There's also another one when they're packed in a phone booth. I'm so happy to hear that others literally RAN as far away as possible from the scary ones, because I did that too!!

-The "E" animation with the wistful, nostalgic sitar music and the overly sedate voice-over. Something about an Eagle flying away with the egg. I saw it recently at the MTR in NYC. As a kid it scared me a little, but made me nostalgic as an adult. The music is fantastic.

-The painter scared me too!! He reminded me of one of my pediatricians that I feared. BTW isn't the actor who played the painter from the Jeffersons, and later, several Christopher Guest Movies?

-This might have been different depending on TV station, but right after the credits, there was a black screen with some other info on it, and the music was scary to me- it was the same type of Sesame Street funk band, but the low trombones and chimes freaked me out. I can play it on the piano to this day.

-An observation...Much of the skits (perhaps because of low budgets?) on 70's SS, EC, ZOOM and other contemporaries filmed lots of stuff using all-black or colored featureless backgrounds. Like the marbles that turn to powder, Rubberband Face, the pebbles, etc. Anything like this was scary to me because I always thought something could potentially pop out of nowhere. And often something did.

Happy to be on board!

tutter_fan

Reaction score
That "Nobody" muppet scared the heck out of me. I'll never forget the first time I saw it. It was so scary I was crying! :cry: I want to know if I'd be able to find a clip of this wierd scanimation somewhere!