Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

Luke

Reaction score
Just think of Junior Gorg escaping and rampaging across the Brooklyn Bridge! I wonder how far they'll take things? It's a difficult balance that should be carefully considered (unlike a Junior clumsy bridge jog). :wink:

I also wonder how the Doc segments will be produced?
As you say, i think Edwards is well aware he has to do something with it to give it a bit of an edgier faster pace, and then they have the Hensons there who want to make sure Jim's original vision is represented somewhat (especially as they have a few seasons of DVD's they might sell), i don't see it being as meaningful as the episodes but im sure they'll give it a message.

I agree the possibilities for this are quite exciting, i think maybe they would need to have a Fraggle Rock / Gorg Garden set so we could see how they get into the real world in the first place so that would be good to see again. I think maybe they would get some kind of celebrity actor to play Doc if they do have him, i guess they will as they can't really leave out Sprocket. Trash Heap you can have them running into on some backstreet and giving them some wisdom, that'd be fun.

Redsonga said:
I've seen it happen, many times in fact. Nearly all of my friends kids are fraggle fans (and it wasn't because of me, the crazy FR fanfic writing auntie saying anything ether .) It's all about what sort of kids you are talking about IMHO, not all of them are the stereotype that most filmmakers say they are aiming to please.
Totally agreed, there are some kids who are underground Fraggle Fans, lol - i've seen a few of em out buying the DVD sets with their parents, i'm always amazed. In terms of writing a feature film though, and in todays age of ticket sales and merchandising they are always going to be writing to what they think the majority of the target audience will buy into/go see.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Just think of Junior Gorg escaping and rampaging across the Brooklyn Bridge!
That would be an absolutely incredible image! I could see that as a trailer, but I don't think I'd like to see it in the movie. As a trailer, though, wow! What an attention grabber! I can just see this helicopter shot of Junior running across the bridge, looking for his Pa, maybe as a shot that's supposed to be on the news. Considering the size the Gorg's are supposed to be, it would be amazing to see.

Again, not that I'd want to see it in the actual movie...

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
While most of the original creative team is still around, several key players (namely Henson, Hunt and Juhl) are not. While I'm cautiously optimistic about how this movie turns out, I'm also certain it will be different enough from the original series.

Not to say it won't be good (it may be very good), but people have gone and times have changed since the mid-80s. It simply won't be something out of 1985.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Not to say it won't be good (it may be very good), but people have gone and times have changed since the mid-80s. It simply won't be something out of 1985.
...Or so the media thinks :wink:. Times may have changed, but the basic nature of people hasn't. If you write a good story they will come. If times had changed that much their would be no one buying boxsets of 80's shows and no little kids enjoying them just as much as we did without any past exposer to what it was about before hand :smile:. Of all things FR and the muppets have staying power. They stories weren't just 80's stories or 70's stories, they were human stories and human lessons. And if nothing else we are all still that :smile:.
And no, I'm not saying they can't pace it faster or add CGI or todays pop songs, I know that they have to do that and I really don't mind it, it is the story itself that I am both worried and hopeful about, all the rest is window dressing otherwise :\. I don't think anyone wants FR to become another 80's revamp that is pretty to look at but has no soul ^.^
Like you have said though the makers of the movie would not let a hollow story be written with the characters, so I would rather wait for the movie to take longer to be made than have them just go ahead with whatever the first finished story turns out to be if it doesn't fit FR ^.^

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
...Or so the media thinks :wink:. Times may have changed, but the basic nature of people hasn't. If you write a good story they will come.
I absolutley agree, this idea of having to make movies more "modern" is a big myth. The Marx Brothers films are 80 years old and still enormously popular. What matters is whether you have a decent script, that is still what people want to see. :smile:

Luke

Reaction score
I absolutley agree, this idea of having to make movies more "modern" is a big myth. The Marx Brothers films are 80 years old and still enormously popular. What matters is whether you have a decent script, that is still what people want to see. :smile:
In terms of Adults possibly, in terms of kid orientated stuff i disagree. The entire pacing, format and style of kids TV has changed wheras most adult stuff still borrows heavily from the past. I would say the media do have some influence on what styles of things are popular because they are the ones who promote it, but in terms of how things are made and what is popular obviously they are focus grouping the kids themselves, and also have parents, educators and psychologists involved - sometimes too involved and it makes the shows less desirable for the kids to watch. Obviously how you tell a story once you have a decent script has a great effect on how it comes over to the audience, and put in ways that the kids simply don't like or recognise isn't going to help it find an audience.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I get you but I just don't agree. I don't take this pacing theory seriously or the so-called child experts. In my experience, they rarely have anything to do with the real world.

Also, a lot of adult entertainment has in fact rejected its past, instead of embracing like they ought to. That's why we're lacking decent TV and movies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
:smirk: I hate to admit this, but I can't gobble up back-to-back Fraggle Rock episodes like I can do with The Muppet Show and other programs. Don't get me wrong - I love me some Fraggles! Very much so! I just feel that stretching a Fraggle story over 90 minutes will require some changes in pacing to maintain interest. I am really interested in seeing the Fraggle world open up even more. I don't think they'll change any personalities or the "Fraggle feel"; I just think they'll expand things a little more. I'm excited. :excited:

Now thinking the phrase "Fraggle feel" might be misinterpreted. :coy:
That's something I bet they struggle with. How do you make a TV show into a movie without making it a 90 minute episode? And I of course mean something current. Not something like Get Smart, where the movie remake is years after the show was canned.

Sex and the City (something I'd never want to see) seems to have fallen into the extended episode category, from what I've heard. But Powerpuff Girls really brought something to the table that made it a movie. They redesigned the characters, and retold a story they only briefly mentioned in the series. And the Simpsons seemed to teeter between the two, but both in good ways. it had the feeling of an episode, but the feeling of a movie.

What will really drag them out of that is to do something that goes with the feel of the TV show that they simply couldn't do with the TV show. Something that would be a plot that would extend into multipart episodes, condensed into a 90 minute run time. Something that the TV show wouldn't have the budget or pacing to do.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
And the Simpsons seemed to teeter between the two, but both in good ways. it had the feeling of an episode, but the feeling of a movie.
I would have liked it even better had they not had that stupid "To be continued" part about where an episode would end. To me, it disrupted the whole flow just to do a gag about it being a TV show. The news crawler was funny (as was the blackboard) ... but the more TV gags they did just ticked me off.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I would have liked it even better had they not had that stupid "To be continued" part about where an episode would end. To me, it disrupted the whole flow just to do a gag about it being a TV show. The news crawler was funny (as was the blackboard) ... but the more TV gags they did just ticked me off.

I kinda liked it. It really seems like something ONLY the Simpsons could get away with.