Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

Luke

Reaction score
Yea as i said, just thought it deserved a mention in here seeing as its the central Fraggle thread right now, and that other one wasn't titled very well, a mod should have changed it. :batty:

Very exciting - i'm a big admirer of Karen and her work. Prell and Goelz are my favourite Muppeteers and with them both involved early on Edwards will have all the Fraggle knowledge he needs on hand.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I only wish I could go, the kids day seems right up my alley :smile:

Luke

Reaction score
Mine too, i hope they film the panel. I wonder if Dave might bring out Boober as a surprise, if they've made all the Fraggles that is.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I just listened to the Henson podcast interview with Cory Edwards. I like it. I like it alot. I'm liking this guys ideas. He sounds like he's got his Fraggles in order.

I'm glad he realizes that, although Wembley has his crazy moments, he also has a bit of "Grover" in him, and is very insecure... and a total wembler! I love wishy-washy, wembling Wembley. :coy:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Sometimes, with the modern changes to films, I am not sure whether or not to back the Fraggle film or not. I love the series--and franchise in general--to bits, but if the beloved core feel of the series (that brought loads of people--and Fraggles, Doozers, Gorgs, and whatever else--together) is replaced for a more Hannah Montana/Zack & Cody-type of feel that makes things too fast-paced and too un-Fragglely, then things could not bode well for the Fraggle fandom (considering no one wants to see the Fraggles going to--say--Brooklyn and ending up in the bad part of the stereotypically thought of as nasty New York streets [Sesame Street, notwithstanding]).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think that Cory Edwards wants to avoid that. He really wants to please Fraggle fans... because no matter how hard they try to make this a kid's film, a huge fraction/majority of the people who are going to see this will be classic Fraggle fans who want to see these characters untouched by time.

Luke

Reaction score
I think that Cory Edwards wants to avoid that. He really wants to please Fraggle fans... because no matter how hard they try to make this a kid's film, a huge fraction/majority of the people who are going to see this will be classic Fraggle fans who want to see these characters untouched by time.
Have you read his blog or heard that audio podcast with him? It's just yes he does want to please Fraggle fans and wants to include lots of fan nuggets (well ok, a quick gorg glimpse, music, and what he will do with doozers) but he's also made it pretty clear it won't be the same and they will be touched by time, he's made it clear this will not be a Fraggle episode on film but something a bit more modern and adventurous. I actually like that approach, its the way i thought this should go from the start - keep the classic characters but have it a bit more modern and faster paced with less emphasis on the "messages" and more on the Fraggles getting into adventures exploring "outer space".

I was thinking about Sprocket. Wondering if they will somehow find a way to include him? Fraggle Rock isn't really FR without him, yet it puzzles me how they will include any kind of owner for him. I guess they could have a well known actor play "Doc" but then Doc wasn't in a lot of the international versions, infact the Fraggles didn't even live in a rock under a workshop in some international versions, here in UK it was a lighthouse with a captain and other countries had other settings. I guess they will want this to make sense all over the world and keep to what viewers remember rather than confuse them. Perhaps maybe the Fraggles may find some other way to get into "outer space" this time.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I actually like that approach, its the way i thought this should go from the start - keep the classic characters but have it a bit more modern and faster paced with less emphasis on the "messages" and more on the Fraggles getting into adventures exploring "outer space".
Meh, the thing is if it was so important that *everyone* go into Outer Space in order to have true adventure it just wouldn't be FR anymore to me. I don't know, something about the extreme refocus on getting the whole gang out of the rock, or only making it act like a supporting character (The title of the whole show was Fraggle Rock after all), when one of the main parts of the soul of FR was the nature of the rock itself and its message and how it mimicked and was different than the human world...the whole idea just rubs me a bit the wrong way..Why can't part of the answer to save the day come from the rock itself? (And no, I'm not talking about something like a piece of the rock Gobo suddenly has but never talked about until this movie that somehow has magical powers if you sing the right song and clap your hands. *hee* However, if something like that somehow gets into the movie I won't be able to not grin just a tiny bit:smile: ) Or exploring the rock as well as Outer Space? Like in two groups...In my mind Boober and Mokey are not the sort to want to go out into space..maybe they, and maybe even Red being Red-ish, might stay in the rock until they are really needed coming up with their own plans for taking care of things from underground and finding more holes to outer space that might be useful....

As for Doc, ours was the 'main' Doc for what it was worth, and while I know it would distance some overseas fans I think that if they were going to use any of the 'old' Docs it would most likely be him....Or 1) They have him be away somewhere and have someone else (most likely a teenager or younger) watching Sprocket. or 2) They act like Doc never happened and have Sprocket just belong to someone else...
I've turned it other and other in my mind and that is all I can really think of, unless they have a scene where all the Docs from around the world are playing cards together in France or something

("I told you we should never have bet that giant bent crown that fell for the sky two years ago Sprocky!")

Golly, I think too much..I've almost written my own version of the movie in my head by now :stick_out_tongue:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I actually like that approach, its the way i thought this should go from the start - keep the classic characters but have it a bit more modern and faster paced with less emphasis on the "messages" and more on the Fraggles getting into adventures exploring "outer space".
Well modern is all very well, but if the movie doesn't have a good story or ultimate message it won't work. :smile:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
luke said:
Have you read his blog or heard that audio podcast with him? It's just yes he does want to please Fraggle fans and wants to include lots of fan nuggets (well ok, a quick gorg glimpse, music, and what he will do with doozers) but he's also made it pretty clear it won't be the same and they will be touched by time, he's made it clear this will not be a Fraggle episode on film but something a bit more modern and adventurous. I actually like that approach, its the way i thought this should go from the start - keep the classic characters but have it a bit more modern and faster paced with less emphasis on the "messages" and more on the Fraggles getting into adventures exploring "outer space".
I agree in terms of the movie (a first one, anyway). Get everyone to watch first, then work on themes and such.

redsonga said:
The title of the whole show was Fraggle Rock after all), when one of the main parts of the soul of FR was the nature of the rock itself and its message and how it mimicked and was different than the human world...the whole idea just rubs me a bit the wrong way..Why can't part of the answer to save the day come from the rock itself?
Without having seen some season 4 eps (why doesn't that regulator guy have all of them? argghhh), I can't say for sure, but I've read about an ep where the water supply is in danger and Boober somehow has to convince Doc polluting is bad. Then there was that pipe-banging ep where Doc was the key. The Honk of Honks couldn't work without EVERYONE'S "honk". So, really, the Rock CAN'T save itself all the time. It is dependent on other factors.

In my mind Boober and Mokey are not the sort to want to go out into space..maybe they, and maybe even Red being Red-ish, might stay in the rock until they are really needed coming up with their own plans for taking care of things from underground and finding more holes to outer space that might be useful....
I could see Red going, especially if Gobo gets in trouble. Boober and Mokey would require more prodding ... especially Boober ... but I think all five would save the Rock in a heartbeat, regardless of their fears of Outer Space. I'm thinking the movie will give the five something to do to show us really why THOSE five are important, and not any of the other thousands of them.

I've turned it other and other in my mind and that is all I can really think of, unless they have a scene where all the Docs from around the world are playing cards together in France or something
I would pay money just to see that. LOL..