Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

Luke

Reaction score
I know what you mean Red, but it is a Weinstein theatrical movie, they really need it not to do badly at the movies. I don't think they will make something that is totally un-recognisable, with no heart that the hardcore fans will find unrecognisable. I think thats what they have the Henson's there for, to retain the original "magic", but i also think they (well, Lisa at least and the Weinsteins) know that as well as good storytelling they will also need a bit more of a dynamic look and adventure story than Fraggle had before - pace is a big thing nowadays. Quicker scenes, and not storylines that take too long to develop but are easy to get into. That is the main reason why i don't think kids can really fully get into classic Fraggle Rock - and Boomerang in the UK is a fairly basic package channel and mornings are one of the most popular periods for kids TV and, infact they had a prime time evening showing too.

I think that with Fraggle being about them having adventures, the whole world element and the likeability and look of the characters it might give them some kinda appeal to kids and the Fraggle "concept" might fit into the kinda movie style we see with Pixar or Disney today. I don't think the Fraggles are ready for mothballs, and i don't think the Henson's would just put out something with no heart either, but i also think maybe adult fans will need to accept that the movies being made for a family audience in todays age, there may be a few Fraggle skateboard tricks but seeing as Edwards and Henson seem to be keen to point out they are keeping elements of the original as long as its tastefully done and balanced it should work out quite well. It's not about giving kids something different, i think its more about giving them something they can at least associate with or you'd be in danger of losing the audience in the first five minutes.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Quicker scenes, and not storylines that take too long to develop but are easy to get into. That is the main reason why i don't think kids can really fully get into classic Fraggle Rock.
I've seen it happen, many times in fact. Nearly all of my friends kids are fraggle fans (and it wasn't because of me, the crazy FR fanfic writing auntie saying anything ether :wink:.) It's all about what sort of kids you are talking about IMHO, not all of them are the stereotype that most filmmakers say they are aiming to please. Many of them can take slower paced things just as well as we ever could :smile:. I truly don't think the whole nature of being a child has changed in twenty some years. I think many writers sell short the average intelligence and attention span of little ones, not just with FR, but understanding many slower paced classic movies...

i think its more about giving them something they can at least associate with or you'd be in danger of losing the audience in the first five minutes.
Of course I know pop culture and technology have changed a lot since I was little. Even I got a kick out of writing the Gobo, Wembley, and Red playing Dance Dance Revolution in my fic...But I would be worried if things like that, just fraggle and human/human things interactions were the whole main part of the plot when saving Uncle Matt from the alien/fur hunters or whatever :stick_out_tongue:. Because the FR message of peace and love of music, to start with, one of the easiest for anyone to associate with IMHO ^.^. If they have to dress it up in bubblegum pop that is fine, but I just hope it is there :wink:.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Of course I know pop culture and technology have changed a lot since I was little. Even I got a kick out of writing the Gobo, Wembley, and Red playing Dance Dance Revolution in my fic....
Red: What? The silly creatures are so lazy they need a machine to tell them how to dance?

Gobo: I guess so.

Boober: What if the silly creatures conquer us and make us use machines to tell us what to do? I can't dance with a machine. I won't.

Red: You can't and won't dance without a machine.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Red: What? The silly creatures are so lazy they need a machine to tell them how to dance?

Gobo: I guess so.

Boober: What if the silly creatures conquer us and make us use machines to tell us what to do? I can't dance with a machine. I won't.

Red: You can't and won't dance without a machine.
Not quite how it went in mine, but to each their own imagination *lol* :excited:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:smirk: I hate to admit this, but I can't gobble up back-to-back Fraggle Rock episodes like I can do with The Muppet Show and other programs. Don't get me wrong - I love me some Fraggles! Very much so! I just feel that stretching a Fraggle story over 90 minutes will require some changes in pacing to maintain interest. I am really interested in seeing the Fraggle world open up even more. I don't think they'll change any personalities or the "Fraggle feel"; I just think they'll expand things a little more. I'm excited. :excited:

Now thinking the phrase "Fraggle feel" might be misinterpreted. :coy:

Redsonga

Reaction score
I hate to admit this, but I can't gobble up back-to-back Fraggle Rock episodes like I can do with The Muppet Show and other programs

Now thinking the phrase "Fraggle feel" might be misinterpreted. :coy:
I can :big_grin:! Maybe it has to do with what age you were when you first saw it to, I knew the characters, but I did not see the show until I was 12. It was just the right age to start the 'life long fandom, watch seasons in order for hours' thingie I guess :smile:

There is nothing wrong with how fraggles feel, they are fuzzy :3!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I can :big_grin:! Maybe it has to do with what age you were when you first saw it to, I knew the characters, but I did not see the show until I was 12. It was just the right age to start the 'life long fandom, watch seasons in order for hours' thingie I guess :smile:

There is nothing wrong with how fraggles feel, they are fuzzy :3!
I saw it when it first aired on HBO and know the Fraggles well so that wouldn't be a factor. The show used to be a rare treat for me to see at friends and family members cable households. I still have the old tin lunchbox and the old (loved to stitches) original dolls purchased at Muppet Stuff New York. I am very much a Fraggle fan. But like a "sweet treat" I prefer to consume Fraggley goodness in bite-sized episodes. That's something Edwards appears to be aware of in constructing the film.

Just think of Junior Gorg escaping and rampaging across the Brooklyn Bridge! I wonder how far they'll take things? It's a difficult balance that should be carefully considered (unlike a Junior clumsy bridge jog). :wink:

I also wonder how the Doc segments will be produced?

Redsonga

Reaction score
But like a "sweet treat" I prefer to consume Fraggley goodness in bite-sized episodes. That's something Edwards appears to be aware of in constructing the film.
Hmm..I guess it just depends on you as a person :smile:. I never feel like I can have too much FR at once, but I am the type to watch three seasons of a show at once in a day with anything I like. I guess I am obsessive that way *lol*... On the other hand, I do get worn out if I watch too much muppet show at once though...

Just think of Junior Gorg escaping and rampaging across the Brooklyn Bridge! I wonder how far they'll take things? It's a difficult balance that should be carefully considered (unlike a Junior clumsy bridge jog
I hope they don't do that to Jr., something about him being unprotected out in the human world actually makes me afraid for him :frown:.

Quazimoto

Reaction score
Hmm..I guess it just depends on you as a person :smile:. I never feel like I can have too much FR at once, but I am the type to watch three seasons of a show at once in a day with anything I like. I guess I am obsessive that way *lol*... On the other hand, I do get worn out if I watch too much muppet show at once though...
I'm the exact same way... I could sit and watch the whole series front to back... Well, that is if I actually had the last season. The VCR ate my tapes with those episodes on it... Thank heavens it's coming to DVD.

As far as the movie goes... I honestly don't know what to think. Part of me is really excited for it, while another part is somewhat apprehensive about it, mostly because of the same reasons others have mentioned previously. Still, even if the movie does end up being butchered and tweaked beyond regocnition of the original series, I guess I won't mind too much. Nothing could ever dampen my love for the original Fraggles.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I'm the exact same way... I could sit and watch the whole series front to back... Well, that is if I actually had the last season. The VCR ate my tapes with those episodes on it... Thank heavens it's coming to DVD.

As far as the movie goes... I honestly don't know what to think. Part of me is really excited for it, while another part is somewhat apprehensive about it, mostly because of the same reasons others have mentioned previously. Still, even if the movie does end up being butchered and tweaked beyond regocnition of the original series, I guess I won't mind too much. Nothing could ever dampen my love for the original Fraggles.
That's what I always think, even if it does badly they can't take the boxsets away from us once they are made :excited:. The old episodes will still be there:smile: