Weezer's Muppet Show video now on-line

Joggy

Reaction score
Whoops... forgot to mention Droop, Nigel, Jim, Frank and Jerry Muppets, and Cynthia Birdley from the Peter Ustinov episode.

:big_grin:

And Beautiful Day Monster.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of upset. I just saw an MTV news report about the "puppet wars" with Weezer and Saves the Day (who has a puppet video coming out too). Completely stupid and sloppy journalism, but this is MTV.

Weezer's front man, Rivers Cuomo was reached by phone and was very dismissive not only about the controversy but the video itself. Maybe it was clipped to sound that way, but such a response doesn't serve to do anything but disappoint his own fans. He said,. "Of every video we've ever made, this is the one we've had the least to do with." Not a very glowing endorsement. The only reports that they enjoyed working with the Muppets aren't attributed to any particular member just "Weezer." Maybe I'm over reacting. The Saves the Day members were pretty cool about the whole thing and their video looks good too. The puppets are great and it looks to have higher production value, but still no Teeth, Janice or Scooter. LOL!

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Anders,

Thanks man, I can listen to it from your link !

Does anyone know how to convert a RealPlayer file to Mpg ?

Thanks

Salmoto

Reaction score
I like the video, but I have a few minor fanboyish grunts. It seems Bunson and Beeker were part of a gag that was cut out of the final version of the video. We see one shot where they're running toward the stage and one shot where they're runing away from the stage with Beaker sproting a smoking hole in place of his head. What happened between them? They could have showed something like the weezer logo blowing up or something, but we don't see anything like that. Maybe it'll be explained in the "Making the video."

Rowlf makes an even more mysterious cameo just appearing behind Weezer during the end groupshot. Could it be that ol' brown ears is equally inclined as Piggy to just walk up on stage and flash a smile at the camera?

Speaking of Piggy, she really walloped Pepe in this video. Towards the end of the video, she began upstaging all the members of the band, but when she was upstaged by Pepe she knocked him over and then stepped on him. Considering that Pepe is the rising star of the group, could it be that Piggy is trying to keep the little shrimp down on the bottom floor? Suspicious...

GWGumby

Reaction score
I personally didn't find the Bunson/Beaker gag to be necessary. We all know the two get involved in experiments and something always goes wrong. And since they're attempting to fit an entire Muppet Show into one 4 minute video, things often have to be very abbreviated. So I think showing the results of an experiment going awry is enough to hit anyone's nostalgia button and make them remember all the great gags they used to see on the Muppet Show.

Admittedly a clever experiment gag would have been funny, and perhaps they even planned something. But sometimes seeing the results and wondering what happened can be quite effective as well.

BorkBork

Reaction score
Re: Anders,

Originally posted by *Warrick*
Thanks man, I can listen to it from your link !

Does anyone know how to convert a RealPlayer file to Mpg ?

Thanks
Ya can't convert real to mpg. But i have the video on my ftp-server, just snagg it from there.

Okay, now i have seen the video enough times to comment it. The wow feeling has flattened out a bit. Don't take me wrong now, i love the video. But there are a few points that i am not really satisfied with.

First, the angle of camera, and lightning of the backstage area was completely off, if you ask me. It was too bright, and it felt like something was missing. Someone said the exit sign is missing, but i think they left out more small details.

Second, fozzies voice...well, i don't like it. It sounds like an adolescent teen-fozzie or something. It's just not there. I do like piggys voice. I fear what Sam eagle will sound like. Statler and Waldorf arent half bad either :big_grin:

Third! Did anyone else notice that the red curtain when kermit announces the band seemed like it was computer animated or something? Maybe it's just because of the lower quality on the stream, but if it is in fact CG then it's definately a big no-no.

I too wanted to see scoter and janice, floyd, zoot and dr teeth. They could at least have been there in the background. I would also have been pleased to see sweetums there.

But overall it's a very good video, and i really like that they have chosen the muppetshow for the set of their video.

/Anders

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
What I think would have worked

Fade In:
The Electric Mayhem (except for Animal) walks into frame from the stage. They don't even have to speak! (Mayvbe even audience boos)

Fozzie discusses the line-up with Kermit (same as video).

Scooter is behind Weezer when they walk down the stairs. He doesn't have to talk either. More action. He can also try to peek in on Piggy when she's tied up the drummer and get flattened by the door when he opens it.

During the number, Beauregard could be backstage mopping while everyone that walks by slips and falls! Classic Muppet gag!

Sam is in the background looking embarrassed about this whole video.

More general Muppets in the background. Was there some sort of Muppet strike or is the ecconomy that bad these days?

Where in the world was Gaffer? Can't expect him though. We should expect Rizzo to pop in.

They needed to put some sort of gag in with Beaker - it really made no sense.

The EM members show up at the end and sing. Sweetums too! Big finish!

dan

Reaction score
Ah, forgive me but I think a lot of you kids have kinda missed the whole point of this thing. Its a WEEZER video. It wasn't supposed to be showcasing the Muppets, it was supposed to be about Weezer. Having the Muppets involved is just a cute fun idea that hopefully got people thinking about them again. They did more than what I thought they would.

Now I too would have really liked to see more Muppets, but because of budgeting or whatever, it didn't seem as though they had a lot of people. I'm just glad they made what I think is a fun video with a really nice omage to The Muppet Show.

And Piggy sounded awesome!!!!

I hope the new show is like this video!

Dan:smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
dan

You're absolutely right - it is a Weezer video, but the backstage shots were downright vacant-looking! It's like they didn't completely commit and follow through with the idea or exploit the options handed to them. Much more fun was had with their Happy Days video! I think you have kind of overlooked that in forming your last post. Just my observation.

all

I have mixed emotions about Weezer frontman Rivers Cuomo. This excerpt comes from the random notes section of the new Rolling Stone Magazine:

Weezer Meet Beaker - Rainbow connection in new video
"I thought it was incredibly gay when i first heard the idea," says Weezer's Rivers Cuomo about the band's video for 'Keep Fishin'. "But when I was standing next to Kermit, Fozzie and Beaker, I was overwhelmed with feelings of happiness. THey have such strong characters that you can't help but believe they're real. Kind of like Kiss." THatn't not to say the whole experience was sensational, inpirational, and Muppetational. "We were all competing for attention," says Cuomo. "Especially Miss Piggy dismisses Cuomo's crutucism thustly: "As a superstar, moi knew it was only a matter of time before I would be asked to star in my own music video." Animal adds,"Aaarghmmgh!"

I have to admit to being offended that Cuomo chose to call the idea of using Muppets "gay" but also to using such a slur in genreal. I'm not the most PC of people, but if he'd said the same thing about a particular race etc, he would have certainly been met with criticism. Just left me with a bad feeling. I'm glad he came around though and that the Muppets have made Roling Stone!

sidcrowe

Reaction score
Froggy

Yeah, that was reckless and stupid of Rivers Cuomo to say that.

It's also telling that his first reaction was NOT something like "Yeah! Woo!"

Ah, well, we true believers will take what we can get:wink: