Unearthing previously "lost" Sesame Street episodes

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Follow up to this post:

So, I sent an email to the manager of WGBH an email in regards to gaining access to view the episodes on the premise if research actually IS required or not before making a trip down there; I would have called them again, but after my last awkward experience and having to sit through some pretty cheesy jazz music while I was on hold, I felt I should email the man who might have better answers. This is what I sent to him:

My name is Alex Mack, and I am emailing you in regards to some questions I have within your library of Sesame Street episodes from the American Archives of Public Broadcasting. I understand (or at least think, based off the website showing video files from this link: https://americanarchive.org/catalog?f[access_types][]=digitized&f[series_titles][]=Sesame+Street&page=1&per_page=100&sort=episode_number_sort+asc) that the library is now loaded up to the show’s 15th season, and they’re available for viewing on the premises of the library of Congress in Washington DC and WGBH with an appointment. I am a resident in the Massachusetts area and had some questions in regards to viewing those episodes at WGBH. I understand certain programs you have loaded up need research required to view them, but I wanted to ask if the same applies for the Sesame Street episodes currently loaded up for viewing. The reason I ask is because I spoke with a woman on the phone once about coming down to view the episodes, but she didn’t seem to understand what I was talking about until I brought up the American Archives to her, to which she mentioned research was required to view those episodes. It made me confused because I was reading this article here (https://americanarchive.org/on-location), which said “Members of the general public may access the entire collection within the WGBH Media Library and Archives offices and at the Library of Congress Moving Image and Recorded Sound Research Centers.” So, my main question in regards to this email is, is research required to view these episodes in addition to setting up an appointment, or are these available for viewing for the general public as long as an appointment is set up to come down to view the episodes?

I hope to hear from you soon. Thank you for time in regards to this email.

Sincerely,

Alex

And in general, this should also hopefully clear up any confusion for other Mass residents on this site. If I don’t hear back from him by Monday then I’ll try another call.
Good luck! I hope you get a response back.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Alright, so I just got a response from Casey:

Hi Alex,

Thanks so much for your email. You are correct that members of the general public are allowed to visit WGBH to access the American Archive of Public Broadcasting (which includes the Sesame Street collection). Our collections are available for research, educational and informational purposes. I apologize for any confusion that arose during your previous conversation.

In my email today, I'm including my colleagues Leah Weisse and Samantha Driscoll. One of them will follow up and can work with you to schedule your research visit to the WGBH Media Library and Archives.

Best regards,
Casey

So at least the general public is allowed to come in. But at the very least, I’m going to see what the experience is like first so I can inform other folks on here in the Mass area what to expect when coming in.

@Oscarfan and @scarecroe as promised, unless at the last minute you guys get it before me, I will get episode 2806 noted down and guided on my visit down there.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Alright, so I just got a response from Casey:

Hi Alex,

Thanks so much for your email. You are correct that members of the general public are allowed to visit WGBH to access the American Archive of Public Broadcasting (which includes the Sesame Street collection). Our collections are available for research, educational and informational purposes. I apologize for any confusion that arose during your previous conversation.

In my email today, I'm including my colleagues Leah Weisse and Samantha Driscoll. One of them will follow up and can work with you to schedule your research visit to the WGBH Media Library and Archives.

Best regards,
Casey

So at least the general public is allowed to come in. But at the very least, I’m going to see what the experience is like first so I can inform other folks on here in the Mass area what to expect when coming in.

@Oscarfan and @scarecroe as promised, unless at the last minute you guys get it before me, I will get episode 2806 noted down and guided on my visit down there.
That's awesome you already got a response back.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I did a search for episode 2806 to see what the screenshot was, so we know that it at least includes "Let's Go Driving". Can't wait to see what else it has.

I had been wondering if it'd be easy for fans to know what they'd be seeing when selecting episodes to watch (unless they were expecting visitors to, say, look up the info at Muppet Wiki, though we don't yet have every episode guided), and many of the episodes in search results do not include a description (though I've seen descriptions for late-1990s episodes). But then if it's primarily for research, perhaps they just expect casual fans to be watching random episodes without actually wanting to see a specific episode in particular (though there are episodes I can see casual fans wanting to research - Mr. Hooper's death, Snuffy "becoming real", Maria and Luis' wedding, etc.).

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I’m hopeful in addition to taking notes for an episode (I have some back up ideas in mind if 2806 comes this weekend) I can also go through other episodes just to skim through street scenes/skits I want to see on their own and won’t be scheduled for just one specific episode. But I’ll let you guys know how the experience goes when the time comes.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
I feel dumb and annoying for still obsessing over one episode but is this a way to finally see the coveted 847?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I mean once season 7 is loaded up you could go to DC in the library of Congress. You live in Ohio, don’t you?

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I noticed that there's some episodes from Seasons 32 and 33 that don't have full guides yet.

scarecroe

Reaction score
I noticed that there's some episodes from Seasons 32 and 33 that don't have full guides yet.
I don’t know if you guys have plans to acquire the last 2 season 22 episodes that don’t have full guides yet...
You're actually going to find hundreds of episodes that don't have guides yet. We're getting to them.