The "You know what?" thread

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Been watching the first season opening for The Facts of Life recently. I had been aware of some lines being different from later seasons, but I have forgotten how different many of the lines were.

One thing I really don't remember is that in the first season theme, it sounds like Mrs. Garret sings some of the lines.

Comparing the first and second season versions of the theme, I am trying to determine if the change reflects the changes of season two. The first season version of the theme seems to go well with the original format, the revised version of the theme fits in well with how much changed for the second season.
It’s easy to miss there were a lot more girls in the first season. One of the castoffs was a young Molly Ringwald. She’s the same age as me. A few years later she would really hit her stride with “Sixteen Candles” and “The Breakfast Club”.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It’s easy to miss there were a lot more girls in the first season. One of the castoffs was a young Molly Ringwald. She’s the same age as me. A few years later she would really hit her stride with “Sixteen Candles” and “The Breakfast Club”.
I've known that since I started watching the show. In fact, I did not know about Molly Ringwald at all until around the time Nick at Nite started airing the show, I saw something online just before reruns premiered there that mentioned her early role before becoming famous.

It is kinda cool to see big stars in earlier works before they became famous, and is a little cool to learn that regular actors on old shows you like went on to become big in their own rights, but sometimes I feel mixed about those actors. Molly Ringwald is one of those. I like the movies that made her a star. So I don't know what it is. Especially when they were regulars on a show you like but were only on the show for a fairly short run compared to how long the show ran - and Charolette Rae is another of those kinds of actresses, being on Sesame Street for just one year, years before becoming Mrs. Garrett.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
4-year-old-me rememberers Charlotte Rae as Molly the Mail Lady. Like Tom and Rafael, and Hal Miller’s Gordon, didn’t last long.
One sharp memory of Rae on Sesame. She was singing One of These Things. There were three balloons and a brick. Which doesn’t belong? The brick. The balloons fell to the ground, but the brick floated away.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Interesting to see this going around on Twitter right now, because this just happened to me:

A former friend/colleague of mine who unfriended and blocked me years ago decided to temporarily unblock me to tell me, among other things, that I'm racist against Italians because I insulted her Italian heritage, and I have absolutely no clue what she's even talking about, plus she never bothered to point out what I even said or did that she perceived to be me insulting her Italian heritage - and I can't even further inquire for clarification, because she immediately blocked me again right after DMing to tell me off.

So, obviously, her actions and behavior clearly indicates that she cared nothing for trying to preserve a friendship, so if that's the way she feels, then there's nothing I can do to try to make amends for something I may have said or did that she, evidently, found racist and offensive.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Frankly I haven’t spoken to her in years and to be perfectly honest, I’m fine with that.

She clearly has a lot of issues in her life and I feel like she just puts everything in a box instead of facing them. Far as I’m concerned, we’re more just acquaintances now.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
So this is one thing I have to be honest about when it comes to improper casting in the voice acting world:

I’m willing to listen to what an actor has to say about it if they’re involved in western cartoons.

HOWEVER.....

I refuse to hear it from an actor primarily involved in anime dubs. Why? At the end of the day, they’re all playing characters of color regardless of what race they are. Asian characters. Sure, you could make the argument they’re just translating from Japanese to English or they have a pale skin tone that often gets misinterpreted as Caucasian, but in the end, you’re still playing a character different from your own race and these shows have huge Japanese culture on them. It just feels very hypocritical to hear a dub actor say “POC should play characters of color” when they’re pretty much playing just that half the time.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
After watching this, I can easily say I will never move to Australia:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I actually have never seen the variation of the original version of "Everybody Sleeps" that replaces the shot of the long-haired dude falling out of his chair with sleeping astronauts; I literally only know about its existence because of Muppet Wiki.

It's strange, because given that was used on SS during Seasons 20-23 (which I grew up with), you would think I would have seen it at least once.