The "You know what?" thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Are GoPro's even a thing anymore, or were they just a fad? Because honestly, I seldom see or hear people talk about or even use them anymore, and haven't for a while. I have one, but maybe only used it a couple of times at most.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Back in my day, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, here were your school options;

Public school.
Catholic school.
Boarding school, but only if your parents had megabucks.

Charter schools and homeschooling didn’t exist yet. Sadly, if you had any learning disorder, you just fell behind.
It wasn’t until much later places like the Sylvan Academy sprung up. That might’ve suited me better than public school.
We didn’t get gangs or school shootings until decades after I was gone. Nobody even got pregnant.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I kind of understand the unfortunate stigmas that have been applied to homeschooling in recent years, because, yes, the curriculum in homeschooling is very much faith-based compared to public school. World History wasn't about Colombus sailing the ocean blue in 1492, or the American Revolution, or anything like that; it was practically studying the Old Testament from the Bible . . . and Bible study was actually a required, credited course on its own as well.

And yet, we also still had your standard science courses as well, like Earth Science, Life Science, Biology, Chemistry, and the like.

I can imagine Bill Nye's head spinning like a top.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Don’t know much about Chemistry.
Don’t know much of Trigonometry.
Don’t know much about Algebra.
Don’t know what a slide rule is for.
But I do know one and one is two.
And I know that if you love me too
What a wonderful world this would be.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Math was always my worst subject, all throughout my school years . . . even though my parents were understanding of that, they did not tolerate anything lower than a C on my report card regardless of the subject, so it was a miracle I could stay within that grading range in math, because if I came home with D or U (we didn't have Fs) on my report card - even in math, I would be grounded until the next report card - and ours usually came out every six weeks: no TV, no internet, no seeing friends.

During my high school years, I had the same teacher for each of my four math subjects: Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2 (Geometry wasn't so bad, but Algebra, hoo-boy). He was a soft-spoken elderly man who I came to feel like was a grandfather to me, because he was always really patient and understanding with my struggles, and I have to say, he actually made my least favorite school subject tolerable in all the years I was in grade school; it was a one-on-one arrangement, so he was able to spend an hour focusing on teaching me and only me, exactly what I needed to know, and how I needed to figure it out. As I was finishing my final class with him, I seriously almost cried as I said goodbye to him for the last time.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Yeah, math could get pretty frustrating for me from time to time. I struggled with fractions in my first year of middle school (5th grade).

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I sucked at math too. I got by in Geometry, but Algebra killed me.
On the flip side, I could ace anything verbal. Reading, Spelling, Vocabulary, I nailed it.
Science, did good in Biology and Physics, but Chemistry, not so much.
Thankfully, since 1985, I never had to solve for X.