The "You know what?" thread

cjd874

Reaction score
Okay. Resident Grammar Nazi, @Old Thunder, back me up on something, please:

"Miss" refers to a single woman who has never been married, while "Ms." refers to a previously married woman who is either divorced or separated.

Correct?
I agree with you on the usage of "Miss," but I think "Ms." is a title that doesn't specifically indicate a woman's marital status. At the school where I work, most of the women who aren't married use "Ms," no matter what age they are. The married women obviously use "Mrs."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, like I said, when I was in school, they taught us that if a woman was never married before, she's a "Miss," while a woman is no longer married, but was before (i.e. divorced or widowed), is a "Ms."

I'm trying to figure out who the education system has failed: me, or kids I'm arguing with who say "Miss" and "Ms." are the same thing.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I've always learned that Ms. was a generic term for a woman regardless of marital status. Basically, if you dont know if she's married or not, just write Ms.

That said, I rarely see anyone use 'Miss' anymore, and usually just use Ms. instead.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Yeah.

“Mrs.” = married.
“Miss” = single.
“Ms.” = denotes merely that the person is a woman. Is used both if you don’t know the woman’s marital status or if she doesn’t want to explicitly give away her marital status.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
After about forty years of stigmatizing and utilizing fear-tactis, the Cancer Institute has finally admitted that yes, there is something that can effectively kill cancer without the harmful effects of chemotherapy and/or radiation.

Are you ready?

It's. . . .

Medical marijuana.

Surprised?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm saying they're just now finally admitting it.