The "You know what?" thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
1. In Big Bird's Birthday, Cookie Monster goes so crazy from wanting to eat Big Bird's birthday cake, that he tries to satisfy his craving by eating anything else he can . . . which includes taking bite out of all of Sesame Street;
Except the trees. They're good for the environment. :big_grin:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In another thread, there was some talk about April Fools Day being killed a bit because so many people expect April Fools jokes and posts these days.

Which gets me thinking something I've occasionally had on my mind in the last few years: would it be better if, instead of celebrating April Fools Day, everyone can pick one day of the year dedicated to pulling jokes/pranks, they can pick one day of the year, must wait at least six months between them (so no celebrating it on December 31 AND January 1), and it'd be more unexpected, though maybe more annoying as people don't know when to expect it. And I guess it would be hard to enforce the "one fools day of your choice per year" rule/tradition. Maybe everyone could get a special card to note what day they'll be celebrating on to show that it is their day.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
would it be better if, instead of celebrating April Fools Day, everyone can pick one day of the year dedicated to pulling jokes/pranks, they can pick one day of the year, must wait at least six months between them (so no celebrating it on December 31 AND January 1), and it'd be more unexpected, though maybe more annoying as people don't know when to expect it. And I guess it would be hard to enforce the "one fools day of your choice per year" rule/tradition. Maybe everyone could get a special card to note what day they'll be celebrating on to show that it is their day.
Nah, it would get too confusing. I mean, just think, all that false info coming in from different members all throughout the year? Then, no one would trust anything we posted, no matter how legitimate.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What I was saying was that Tough Pigs' April Fool's jokes were overkill, because they were posting one right after another, and each one was more and more obvious than the previous one. I mean yeah, okay, I get that's what they were going for this year, but after like the third or fourth fake SS anniversary special, it felt like okay, we get it, enough already.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I was Googling pics of examples of gentrification, and came across this pic of some stores in Brooklyn:

Take a good look at the architectural design of this building, and see if you don't think it may have inspired the tenement building that houses the Fix-It Shop, Bob's apartment, and Hooper's Store. . . .

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Because of the DefunctTV Jim Henson celebration month news, I'm watching one of their videos right now. It's the one about The Black Cauldron ride at Japanese Disney World that was ridiculously dark and terrifying.

But anyway, the main villain for that movie as well as the accompanying theme park ride, The Horned King reminds me a lot of a certain other cartoon villain that just so happened to be popular around the same time period:Mumm-Ra from ThunderCats.

They are both undead skull faced villains with bony fingers, red cloaks, and fiery red eyes who have a magic cauldron and use witchcraft as their primary fighting technique to defeat the heroes.

I wonder if there was some inspiration there considering how popular ThunderCats was at the time Black Cauldron was released. Considering the movie premiered at a time when ThunderCats was one of the hottest Saturday morning cartoons, perhaps Disney was trying to emulate the success of the well known cartoon by taking some cues from Mumm-Ra while designing their villain.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay. Resident Grammar Nazi, @Old Thunder, back me up on something, please:

"Miss" refers to a single woman who has never been married, while "Ms." refers to a previously married woman who is either divorced or separated.

Correct?

cjd874

Reaction score
Okay. Resident Grammar Nazi, @Old Thunder, back me up on something, please:

"Miss" refers to a single woman who has never been married, while "Ms." refers to a previously married woman who is either divorced or separated.

Correct?
I agree with you on the usage of "Miss," but I think "Ms." is a title that doesn't specifically indicate a woman's marital status. At the school where I work, most of the women who aren't married use "Ms," no matter what age they are. The married women obviously use "Mrs."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, like I said, when I was in school, they taught us that if a woman was never married before, she's a "Miss," while a woman is no longer married, but was before (i.e. divorced or widowed), is a "Ms."

I'm trying to figure out who the education system has failed: me, or kids I'm arguing with who say "Miss" and "Ms." are the same thing.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I've always learned that Ms. was a generic term for a woman regardless of marital status. Basically, if you dont know if she's married or not, just write Ms.

That said, I rarely see anyone use 'Miss' anymore, and usually just use Ms. instead.