The Steven Universe thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
Just watched the pilot and the first 2 episodes, and already I'm loving it. It really blurs the line between a boys' show (with its main protagonist being one) and a girls' show (with his sidekicks being them).

It's also notable in that it's the first Cartoon Network show to be produced by a woman, ex-Adventure Time storyboard artist Rebecca Sugar. SU's not like that show at all, though, aside from them both being action/adventure series.

Drtooth

Reaction score
For years, I've been hearing about how there's a lack of female creative forces in cartoons and comic books and that when male comic/cartoon writers create female characters, it's about fifty fifty. And they get flack for being too sexy. That's something that, while I can see the point of, would just brush off as some unwinnable gender based argument. Until I saw this show.

We have three female characters who aren't unrealistically hot nor unattractive. One of the female characters is fat. That's amazing. Can you think of one fat female character in cartoons and fiction? Like, you'd get Big Bertha of the West Coast Avengers (and she can transform into a thin woman) and Toots from Drawn Together (who was barely chubby but the writers LOVED making fat jokes). They wouldn't let one of the Gargoyles be a female because they didn't want an overweight female protagonist. I don't know why this is super amazing to me, but it just is... if this show was written by a dude, they'd probably all be supermodels and one would like to eat. That's about it.

Not to mention the fact the show channels the right things from anime. The flower light cannon bit? That felt like something ripped out of some Japanese show... just the tone and visuals and music. There's really a lot I could say about how remarkable this series is, and hopefully it gets even better as it goes on. And yes, it doesn't feel like Adventure Time at all. It's closer to Bravest Warriors, but not by much.

And I agree... it's not a girl's show, it's not a boy's show... it doesn't feel like it needs to pander to any gender. Which, unfortunately might just harm the show because of the same reasons that got Sim Biotic Titan cancelled. Who are they going to market the toys to? Jeez... I hate when that's the only way they'll keep a show on the air. Hopefully it will find a niche in an indie toy retailer like Jazzwares, like the Adventure Time line.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
This show looks amazing, I can't wait to see it.

Sadly, no matter how good it'll be it's gonna get ripped to shreds by the internet because it's not a show from their childhood.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The show is amazing; I loved the pilot and while I'm kind of upset the designs were simplified since it, I still think it looks great. As much as I enjoy the absurdist humor of Uncle Grandpa, I'm gonna be able to get into this series a lot more.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I do indeed love Uncle Grandpa, but it's a show that's so incredibly insane and reveling in it's stupidity and surreality that it drains me every time I watch it. This series has nothing but potential for a rich deep storyline. At first, I wondered why they had the series pick up at the middle of the story without explaining anything... but then the second episode gave more into the backstory. It's very non-linear with the origin story and why the characters are the way they are, and I rather like it that way. More pieces of the puzzle will reveal themselves in time. I dare say this could be even grander in scale than Adventure Time.

mr3urious

Reaction score
The show is amazing; I loved the pilot and while I'm kind of upset the designs were simplified since it, I still think it looks great. As much as I enjoy the absurdist humor of Uncle Grandpa, I'm gonna be able to get into this series a lot more.
Pearl's new design with her huge cartoonish eyes and pointy nose actually remind me so much of an Osamu Tezuka series. I'm starting to like it now that I've noticed that.

drtooth said:
At first, I wondered why they had the series pick up at the middle of the story without explaining anything... but then the second episode gave more into the backstory. It's very non-linear with the origin story and why the characters are the way they are, and I rather like it that way.
I find it really sweet and refreshing how Steve is so honest-to-Glob fascinated by his dad's past even though he's pretty much a has-been now. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Boom's also planning a Steven Universe comic book. Unlike Regular Show and Adventure Time, this one is coming out pretty close to when the shoe began. Hopefully they won't wind up tripping over plot points like they did the first 8 issues of Bravest Warriors (before they just copied the cartoon). There's a preview for it in the Adventure Time Spookfest special.

Xerus

Reaction score
I really love Steven Universe. Steven is a sweet adorable character and I like the way he sings. The Crystal Gems always look puzzled at him whenever he starts singing, but then smile and start enjoying it. And it seems like Steven's gem only activates whenever he gets a passion for something. Like an ice cream snack or a saying about hot dogs. And each Crystal Gem has their unique personality. Garnet is the cool, sometimes silent, type. Amethyst is the funny tomboy. And Pearl is the serious logical one.

And I like the voice cast too.

ZACH CALLISON: Steven Universe
ESTELLE: Garnet
MICHAELA DEITZ: Amethyst
DEEDEE MANGO: Pearl
TOM SCHARPLING: Greg Universe
MATTHEW MOY: Lars
KATE MICUCCI: Sadie

I really like how Deedee Mango, who was one of the Mousketeers from the 80's Mickey Mouse Club and part of the Disney rock group The Party, is part of this show.

snichols1973

Reaction score
I really love Steven Universe. Steven is a sweet adorable character and I like the way he sings. The Crystal Gems always look puzzled at him whenever he starts singing, but then smile and start enjoying it. And it seems like Steven's gem only activates whenever he gets a passion for something. Like an ice cream snack or a saying about hot dogs. And each Crystal Gem has their unique personality. Garnet is the cool, sometimes silent, type. Amethyst is the funny tomboy. And Pearl is the serious logical one.

Serious and logical; reminds me a bit of Star Trek's Mr. Spock, (just kidding, l0l).

Pearl also has her gentler side as well; here's how she describes her own weapon-summoning technique: "The petals' dance seems improvised, but it is being calculated in real time, based on the physical properties of this planet. With hard work and dedication, you can master the magical properties of your gem and perform your own dance"; she appears to have the poise and grace of a ballerina while showing concern for Steven's safety.

Each of the other guardians has their own unique way of summoning their special powers: Amethyst can just effortlessly summon it at will, Garnet attunes her mind in harmony with nature and channels its collective energy through her special gem-powered magic gloves.

As teammates, there might have been some sort of sisterly bond between Rose, Pearl, Amethyst, and Garnet, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see if future episodes will present further insight into Rose's life......

Steven obviously inherited his powers from his mother, Rose Quartz, who was also one of the Guardians (when the laser light cannon activates, you can see glimpses of Rose Quartz's interventional powers when the town's safety is threatened by the "redeye gem", so her presence might apparently still be there to some extent); and the "Gem Glow" episode hints that his special power might possibly be activated through the feelings of elation, rather than eating his favorite ice-cream sandwiches, since his powers tend to fade when he starts to feel anxious.

I like the work of the Korean animation directors (Ki-Yong Bae, Seonjae Lee, Jin-hee Park et al.) and how Steven's character design seems to have been inspired by anime style....

Drtooth

Reaction score
And I like the voice cast too.

ZACH CALLISON: Steven Universe
ESTELLE: Garnet
MICHAELA DEITZ: Amethyst
DEEDEE MANGO: Pearl
TOM SCHARPLING: Greg Universe
MATTHEW MOY: Lars
KATE MICUCCI: Sadie

I really like how Deedee Mango, who was one of the Mousketeers from the 80's Mickey Mouse Club and part of the Disney rock group The Party, is part of this show.
What I really love about Steven Universe is that the voice actors are ones you don't get to hear too often. Especially the female characters. Seems like every time there's a female role in a cartoon it inevitably goes to Grey Delise, Tara Strong, and if the character's African American (or, actually doesn't have to be) Cree Summer. Now, they're all great, no complaints. But this gives the show a unique sound.