The Muppets are getting worse

Marky

Reaction score
spcglider said:
Not a whit of dis-agreement on THAT point!

As long as it's not a certain puppeteer whose name begins with Kevin.

(No offense, big K, but I personally don't think you're the man for the job. Just MHO.)

-G
I double that!

:wink:

spcglider

Reaction score
Okay..then lets start a thread titled "Who should lead the Muppets?" that'd be some good discourse.

-G

muppetsforlife

Reaction score
It sure gets depressing reading all these pessimistic posts about the muppets from people that are fans. Oh well can't change the world, I guess. But lets bare a couple of things in mind here. When Jim Henson's muppets first started it was a fight just to get them exposure. A lot of people didn't accept puppets as something that was geared for the entire family. Eventually the muppet show won people over and the grew to be loved. It seems like history is repeating itself as people are saying that they are done and there is no room for them in the world anymore. But thats ok, I still believe in them. And I still love them. Secondly Jim Henson had already stated that even when he was gone, the muppets would still be around as long as there were people that still loved them and still wanted to see them. I am one of those people. I know there has to be others out there? So even if nobody else cares to see new muppet stuff, I still do. Bring on more movies, more video games, more re-releases of old stuff. I will watch them all. I love the muppets. I always have and always will. I will be anxiously awaiting every new thing that they bring out.

"And Kermit, We still believe in the show." -Scooter from Muppets Take Manhatten.

Marky

Reaction score
muppetsforlife said:
It sure gets depressing reading all these pessimistic posts about the muppets from people that are fans. Oh well can't change the world, I guess.
Think this site's bad? Try any Star Wars fan site! Seriously!!!

spcglider

Reaction score
muppetsforlife said:
It sure gets depressing reading all these pessimistic posts about the muppets from people that are fans. Oh well can't change the world, I guess. But lets bare a couple of things in mind here. When Jim Henson's muppets first started it was a fight just to get them exposure. A lot of people didn't accept puppets as something that was geared for the entire family. Eventually the muppet show won people over and the grew to be loved. It seems like history is repeating itself as people are saying that they are done and there is no room for them in the world anymore. But thats ok, I still believe in them. And I still love them. Secondly Jim Henson had already stated that even when he was gone, the muppets would still be around as long as there were people that still loved them and still wanted to see them. I am one of those people. I know there has to be others out there? So even if nobody else cares to see new muppet stuff, I still do. Bring on more movies, more video games, more re-releases of old stuff. I will watch them all. I love the muppets. I always have and always will. I will be anxiously awaiting every new thing that they bring out.
Not to impugn your comprehension ability, but I think you've missed the point.

Nobody here is saying that the world no longer wants the Muppets. That's ludicrous. And nobody here is saying that they should stop doing stuff because they suck. That's not it either.

What everybody here is saying is that the people in charge of the Muppets aren't doing a good job. That's a completely different thing.

My point, personally, is that I am unwilling to accept the occasional commercial spot as "good Muppet material". And that's all they seem to have slated for the Muppets. I don't enjoy the fact that the bean-counters at MHC are reducing the Muppets to glorified pitch-men when they could be doing so much more.

If the fan community dosn't make it's desires heard, doesn't let the people in-charge know that they expect MORE from such a tremendous wellspring of entertainment, all we will continue to get is more lame commercials starring our favorite Muppets. And then the world really WILL start thinking the Muppets are done for.

If we all sit around on this board and applaud every lame thing those suits cause Kermit and the gang to do and greedily consume the resulting pablum with deepest thanks to the Mouse House, how do you expect to ever see anything really worth watching? I, for one, am not so easily assuaged.

The entertainment industry operates on the pidgeon-hole philosophy. The Muppets are being pidgeon-holed as comedic pitch-men for commercials... NOT as prime-time family entertainment. That's a problem. If they get stuffed too far into that pidgeon-hole, they won't be able to get out.

Its not a problem with the Muppets themselves, its a problem with how they're being handled. Its also not any sort of problem that can't be FIXED.

And I'm sorry, but it's gonna take a heaping helping of pessimism to get the ball rolling on the solution.

I love the Muppets too. But I'm going to be clear-headed about whether or not what they're doing is worthy of their property. Tough love is hard for some. But they deserve our honesty, don't they?

-Gordon

Marky

Reaction score
spcglider said:
Not to impugn your comprehension ability, but I think you've missed the point.

Nobody here is saying that the world no longer wants the Muppets. That's ludicrous. And nobody here is saying that they should stop doing stuff because they suck. That's not it either.

What everybody here is saying is that the people in charge of the Muppets aren't doing a good job. That's a completely different thing.

My point, personally, is that I am unwilling to accept the occasional commercial spot as "good Muppet material". And that's all they seem to have slated for the Muppets. I don't enjoy the fact that the bean-counters at MHC are reducing the Muppets to glorified pitch-men when they could be doing so much more.

If the fan community dosn't make it's desires heard, doesn't let the people in-charge know that they expect MORE from such a tremendous wellspring of entertainment, all we will continue to get is more lame commercials starring our favorite Muppets. And then the world really WILL start thinking the Muppets are done for.

If we all sit around on this board and applaud every lame thing those suits cause Kermit and the gang to do and greedily consume the resulting pablum with deepest thanks to the Mouse House, how do you expect to ever see anything really worth watching? I, for one, am not so easily assuaged.

The entertainment industry operates on the pidgeon-hole philosophy. The Muppets are being pidgeon-holed as comedic pitch-men for commercials... NOT as prime-time family entertainment. That's a problem. If they get stuffed too far into that pidgeon-hole, they won't be able to get out.

Its not a problem with the Muppets themselves, its a problem with how they're being handled. Its also not any sort of problem that can't be FIXED.

And I'm sorry, but it's gonna take a heaping helping of pessimism to get the ball rolling on the solution.

I love the Muppets too. But I'm going to be clear-headed about whether or not what they're doing is worthy of their property. Tough love is hard for some. But they deserve our honesty, don't they?

-Gordon
I see your point, Gordon. I mean, I do find the commercials cute & see nothing wrong with them hawkin' stuff on TV. But I also don't think Disney would have bought the Muppets just to let this happen. I think this'll be a good year for them w/ their new TV show, etc. We'll have to wait and see. Hopefully we'll all be pleasantly surprised.

I mean, Jar-Jar had no lines in this movie!

Vic Romano

Reaction score
FINALLY!!!!! People are finally starting to have some issues with who the Muppets have become! About four years ago when It's a Very Merry Muppet Piece of Crap aired, I tried saying some of the exact things you guys are saying here and I was practically stoned, tarred and feathered for even THINKING that! I love the Muppets as all of you do, and as far as negative depressing comments go; MAYBE SOMEONE IMPORTANT WILL READ 'EM!!! And thus get a clue. There is nothing wrong with some healthy debate, and as fans; it's our right to say when something doesn't meet our approval rather then smile and pretend everything's perfect just because someone slapped the frog's face on it.

And I am SO SICK of everyone blaming Disney! Do you honestly think they became the company they are today because they treated everything like crap!?! The Muppets have their own holding company, which for the most part give them creative control over what they do. The problem is not Disney, the problem is within the Muppet staff themselves.

And now to prove I'm not a complete angry jerk, I will smush this banana cream pie in my face.

*sploik*

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I think you guys are right. There needs to be some sort of leader who can tie it all together if we want [good] muppet projects to be made. But there isn't one.

So, another question: Are most of you holding out to see what will come of the muppets now and believe there is some sort of good future, or do you believe, as I know Kimp has said in the past, that the muppets are dead (that the glory days are gone)?

Edit: And Vic, you're not a COMPLETE angry jerk. Just a bit of one. :wink: Welcome back!

Marky

Reaction score
Your right, Mrs. Pepper, their glory days are way behind them - that's why Disney bought them. They want to give them the financial shot in the arm they need to be (to paraphrase Disney), put back into the mainstream.

And I also agree w/ Romano 100% about their current state having nothing to do w/ Disney. They don't. All Disney did was purchase the rights for them. And so what. So Disney's a huge company. So what??? I'm not even American, and I grow tired of all the anti-money, anti-corporate rhetoric spewed from the Left. Business is business. The Muppets have been corporate since most of you were born.

Kermit's Swamp Years (bleah), Very Merry...(not bad). Disney had nothing at all to do with either of these. The first project that Disney did help with - Christmas Carol (awesome). Next one, Treasure Island (haven't seen it, but I hear it's ok).

Kaiser Gonzo

Reaction score
I am going to print of this forum and along with a note i am going t send it to the Muppets holding group and they are going to make the muppets what they were, so well done guys nice points!