The Muppets are getting worse

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Did you see the Oz movie on DVD yet? It's much better there. The TV version was chopped all to heck and back and that ruined it.

I don't think The Muppets are going downhill at all! I think they're doing a good job. Thing is, I see all the complaints and nobody's making decent, constructive ideas what to do to fix it.

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
Okay. Let's try and be constructive...Well, for one they could....maybe make another movie? Like, not a sequel or a remake...but something original like the first three?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
You know they'll only do that if they feel there's enough support. Luckily Oz didn't give the Muppets rave reviews, but they did win the time-slot so that's why Diz decided to go on with the new series.

I would like a new movie with new songs. I hope they get Paul Williams back in again to work on a movie. Maybe hire Frank Oz to direct it.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
MeepBorkMeep said:
Well, personally, besdies Jim Henson obviously, I think it all kind of went to heck after Richard Hunt died. They said he was the reason for so much of the spirit of the Muppet Show, and I guess that turned out to be true.
I stand behind that comment. I believe that is true.

They haven't gone to pot just yet, but...a lot of the heart that was remaining, was lost when he died.

Kaiser Gonzo

Reaction score
We don't want more movies. The Muppets glory days were 1976-1981, the muppet show years, its no good bringing out crappy films for the sake of it, very rcently the movies have been churned out. they are producing nothing but rubbish at the moment, and that is coz Jim, Richard, Jerry and frank are not performing anymore due to death and retirment, so why try and get people that sound nothing like the characters to take up the role of these wonderful muppeteers, CRAZY!!!

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
I would like a new movie with new songs. I hope they get Paul Williams back in again to work on a movie. Maybe hire Frank Oz to direct it.
perfect movie right there if they do that I will hold my hand on a bible and swear to God that that's the honest truth!:attitude:

Marky

Reaction score
Kaiser Gonzo said:
We don't want more movies. The Muppets glory days were 1976-1981, the muppet show years, its no good bringing out crappy films for the sake of it, very rcently the movies have been churned out. they are producing nothing but rubbish at the moment, and that is coz Jim, Richard, Jerry and frank are not performing anymore due to death and retirment, so why try and get people that sound nothing like the characters to take up the role of these wonderful muppeteers, CRAZY!!!

Kid, you weren't even alive when the Berlin Wall came down! This heavy stance you pose could only possibly be based purely on retro-active rhetoric. Much of the humor in today's Muppet stuff involves allusions and references - things that fly above the heads of those born after the seventies. Us Gen-X'ers love it. And if you can't get over the fact that the core original cast is no longer involved, may I suggest you lighten up? You're way too young to be jaded!:grouchy:

spcglider

Reaction score
baba said:
As we all know Jim Henson Rest In Peace passed away May 17th 1990. And their still is a lot of Hensons here are some of them:

Jane Henson,
Brian Henson,
John Henson,
Heather Henson,
Ect

And another thing to is i like Muppets From Space and i like Muppets Treasure Island. The Muppet Show Season One came out and so did Fraggle Rock Season One also along with the Muppet Show watch and hundreds of other things. I do still wish it all was owned by Henson but its not my choice what happin's and what does not.

Baba,
Baba,

Yes, there are other Hensons, but so far they ALL have been conspicuously absent when anyone says, "Okay, who's gonna take the helm of the Classic Muppets?"

Jane is functioning as the head of the Henson Legacy. She really didn't have much to do with the classic Muppets after she and Jim seperated. if she was willing to take on the role of leader, she would have done so long ago.

Brian is heading the Jim Henson Company. He pretty much outright said that he didn't want to be the steward of his father's work. He wants to be in control of the company and push it in his own direction. Nothing wrong with that, it has to happen, but it's not leading the Muppets.

John Henson? Is this the same John Henson so conspicuous by his complete lack of notoriety? How many even know who he is? and be sure you don't confuse the relatively unknown John Henson (son of Jim and Jane) with the relatively unknown John Henson (comedian).

Heather Henson? The puppetry performance artist? Her attitude is the same as Brian's. She doesn't want to be in command of the Muppets... she's got a successful career of her own brewing. No stewardship for her.

Quite literally, the Henson line has severed itself from the Muppets.

The rest of the stuff you mention,

Muppets from Space is the reason why Jerry Juhl (RIP) quit. The only guy who really had a handle on what Muppet comedy was about left the project.

Muppet Treasure Island is possibly the best of the recent offerings since it held true to Muppet comedy tradition. But you can chalk that up to Jerry's involvement.

The release of Muppets and Fraggles really just gives us what we've been asking for for MANY years. No brainer.

In order for the Muppets to get back in the swing, they NEED a leader. Can you imagine the disaster backstage at The Muppet Show if you suddenly just plucked Kermit out of the mix? Now imagine if you supplanted Kermit with J.P. Gross, Scooter's uncle.

That's what we have right now with MHC.

I'm not poo-pooing your likes. You have every right to like what you like. I'm overjoyed that TMS and FR are on DVD. Absolutely! Heck, I like Muppet Treasure Island too. But that was years ago. Yes... almost TEN years now.

And I still maintain that there is absolutley NOTHING wrong with asking for MORE and BETTER from the Muppets. But IMHO it's going to take a benevolent dictator (in the form of someone who can exibit the proper heart and lead with conviction and charisma) to put the Muppets back in their best Bristol fashion.

-G

Marky

Reaction score
spcglider said:
Baba,

Yes, there are other Hensons, but so far they ALL have been conspicuously absent when anyone says, "Okay, who's gonna take the helm of the Classic Muppets?"

Jane is functioning as the head of the Henson Legacy. She really didn't have much to do with the classic Muppets after she and Jim seperated. if she was willing to take on the role of leader, she would have done so long ago.

Brian is heading the Jim Henson Company. He pretty much outright said that he didn't want to be the steward of his father's work. He wants to be in control of the company and push it in his own direction. Nothing wrong with that, it has to happen, but it's not leading the Muppets.

John Henson? Is this the same John Henson so conspicuous by his complete lack of notoriety? How many even know who he is? and be sure you don't confuse the relatively unknown John Henson (son of Jim and Jane) with the relatively unknown John Henson (comedian).

Heather Henson? The puppetry performance artist? Her attitude is the same as Brian's. She doesn't want to be in command of the Muppets... she's got a successful career of her own brewing. No stewardship for her.

Quite literally, the Henson line has severed itself from the Muppets.

The rest of the stuff you mention,

Muppets from Space is the reason why Jerry Juhl (RIP) quit. The only guy who really had a handle on what Muppet comedy was about left the project.

Muppet Treasure Island is possibly the best of the recent offerings since it held true to Muppet comedy tradition. But you can chalk that up to Jerry's involvement.

The release of Muppets and Fraggles really just gives us what we've been asking for for MANY years. No brainer.

In order for the Muppets to get back in the swing, they NEED a leader. Can you imagine the disaster backstage at The Muppet Show if you suddenly just plucked Kermit out of the mix? Now imagine if you supplanted Kermit with J.P. Gross, Scooter's uncle.

That's what we have right now with MHC.

I'm not poo-pooing your likes. You have every right to like what you like. I'm overjoyed that TMS and FR are on DVD. Absolutely! Heck, I like Muppet Treasure Island too. But that was years ago. Yes... almost TEN years now.

And I still maintain that there is absolutley NOTHING wrong with asking for MORE and BETTER from the Muppets. But IMHO it's going to take a benevolent dictator (in the form of someone who can exibit the proper heart and lead with conviction and charisma) to put the Muppets back in their best Bristol fashion.

-G
Well that someone should be a performer/artist themselves, not a suit. You need time in the trenches to grasp a true love for your vision.

spcglider

Reaction score
Marky said:
Well that someone should be a performer/artist themselves, not a suit. You need time in the trenches to grasp a true love for your vision.
Not a whit of dis-agreement on THAT point!

As long as it's not a certain puppeteer whose name begins with Kevin.

(No offense, big K, but I personally don't think you're the man for the job. Just MHO.)

-G