The Food Thread (Non Instagram Edition)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As I've said before, a whopper can be good every once in a while, but they're one of those burgers that can really sit with you for a while. Sometimes Sonic's cheeseburgers are the same way.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
When it comes to fries, McD’s gets the nod.

There’s a great documentary on YouTube that chronicles the war between the two.
BK came out with the Whopper ten years before the Big Mac, but McD’s had most of the big nnovations first.
Even in my lifetime, I saw the introduction of breakfast, sundaes, Happy Meals, McNuggets, and a mad rush of Beanie Babies.
BK has taken a number of potshots over the years, but McD’s still has their global domination.
Put two Whopper patties on a Big Mac, and I’ll be a happy guy.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Beanie Babies, how I remember that crazy fad, lol.

And, how I remember when Happy Meals used to be happy . . . granted, fast food wasn't something you ate all the time as a kid anyway, so Happy Meals used to come with actual treats, such as fries and pack of cookies that were baked into the shape of McDonaldland characters, but of course, angry parents had to push the childhood obesity narrative, and as such, Happy Meals did away with fries and cookies and replaced them with apple or orange slices and yogurt sticks - ya know, stuff kids could pretty much consume any time without consequence.

Any Del

Reaction score
Tried a Happy Meal once and it didn't work so well for me.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
In the late 90s a documentary was made called “Supersize Me”. The guy who made it ate nothing but McD’s for a whole month.
At the end of the month, he punished his body. Gained twenty pounds,, , blood pressure shot up, lost sleep, he was a mess.

I was just a little too old for Happy Meals. But apart from a few Beanies, I still have a few toys from 1994 when they promoted Animaniacs. Back in the 70s, BK actually had toys first, but they were usually little crappy plastic things. All McD’s had when I was little, you could get a balloon or a Ronald puppet (it was like putting a sandwich baggie on your hand).
Once they started with licensing deals, the toys became more sought after.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know, when I was younger, I used to enjoy getting stuffed crust pizza - it wasn't always that common to come by, so whenever any place offered it, it was usually a limited time offer that you had to jump on while you could.

But it took me into adulthood for me to come to realize that stuffed crust pizza really isn't all that great . . . I mean, the idea of gooey cheese inside the crust does sound awesome, but when you bite into the crust, especially after it's cooled a little, you realize that all it is is just that string cheese stuff inside the crust, not like any of the kinds of shredded cheeses they sprinkle on top of the pizza. A bit of a let down.

Speaking of let downs, I've just now realized that Red Lobster hasn't done any of their usual special fests this year: no Lobster Fest, no Shrimp Fest, no Crab Fest, nothing. Guess they're still playing it safe during the pandemic right now (and they're one of those restaurants whose menu really took a big hit when the pandemic happened).

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Dead Lobster may not be long for this world. They’re owned by the same company that run Ruby Tuesday’s. The one near me closed, but they’ve been sliding down for a few years now.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ruby Tuesday's was never that great anyway what with their extremely limited menu, and dark atmosphere anyway. Really, just about the only thing they were good for was their salad bar. And the really hot waitress who served us on two occasions.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Once you’re married, you really don’t look at hot waitresses anymore (or at least you’re not supposed to). There used to be a chain called Hooters, for obvious reasons. It was a sports bar with single guys drooling all over the waitresses.
Then, in their infinite wisdom, the management decided to make the place more kid-friendly, and the waitresses were no longer so scantily clad. A noble move, but business-wise was the kiss of death.