The Food Thread (Non Instagram Edition)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ah yes, very much like ice pops . . . which, many people to this day never seem to know what they're called.

Just curious, did anyone ever attempt to make those homemade popsicles like they showed you how to do on Dexter's Lab by pouring fruit juice into an ice tray, cover with plastic wrap, stick a toothpick in each tube, and freeze over night? They were actually simple yet fun to make.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
That idea has been around long before Dexter.
Some lesson on how to make them were shown on Sesame Street, Captain Kangaroo, this 70s PBS show called Vegetable Soup, just to name a few.
Worked great with orange Tang.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
That’s from the 80s. Young people today would look at that landline and go, “That’s a PHONE???!!!”
Domino’s kinda lost my business. There is one not a mile from my house, and the last few times have been disappointing.
To compensate, there are two mom-and-pop joints close by, one is Branda’s, the other one is Vincenzo’s. Both put Domino’s to shame.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That’s from the 80s. Young people today would look at that landline and go, “That’s a PHONE???!!!”
Trust me, kids today have that reaction to even a modern cordless landline phone. I was sitting in the bank one day recently and a little kid was looking at a poster that had a stock image of such, to which he asked his mom (who was about my age, if maybe not just a little old) what it was, and she told him it was a phone. "No way! That's not a phone!" he said, but she assured him it was, then finally, he was like, "Oh yeah, that's supposed to be an old school phone, right?"

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know people talk about dabbing grease off of a pizza is seen at effeminate and queer, but last night I realized just how glad I am I do it anyway, because I ended up eating some particularly greasy and oily pizza, and man, I did not feel good later in the night . . . also probably didn't help having a huge slice of cake made out of Reese's for dessert either.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with dabbing off pizza grease. Most of it comes from the cheese. It’s not always just mozzarella. Sometimes they throw in Parmesan or pecorino. Other times sausage and pepperoni release oils when they’re baked.
Some pizza places up here drizzle a few drops of olive oil on the pie before it goes in the oven, but it shouldn’t leave a puddle.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Some of you might think this is crazy, but hear me out.

Jello.

Store-brand Jello is ridiculously cheap, all it takes is two cups of water. You boil one cup, stir in the Jello, let it dissolve, pour in a cup of cold water, put in fridge, done deal.

For the cold water, you can substitute ginger ale or 7 up. But for you Snowthy, I understand your problem with bubbles.

However, hot Jello will do wonders for a sore throat. Goes down very easy.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Store-brand Jello is ridiculously cheap
Meanwhile, brand-name Jell-O has shot up; what used to be 88 cents a box is now like nearly a buck and a half.

But hey, once upon a time, not only did Hogan and his men hawk Jell-O with Carol Channing, they also hawked Drrrrream Whip as well!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
This is not a national chain, but around here there are a handful of drive-ins called Stewart’s. Kinda like Sonic, just not as big. They stay open as long as the weather is warm. Carhops take your order (they don’t wear skates), you eat in your car, easy peazy.

The food is okay, burgers, hot dogs, crinkle fries, they’re halfway decent.

But their main draw is their root beer. They also make a fantastic orange too. Even better, both come in diet for me.

Up until very recently, you could get Stewart’s root beer at Cracker Barrel. Sixteen ounce glass bottles.

Every time I get a bottle (the diet orange cream is to die for), I get my trusty bottle opener, pop the cap, and mail it to Bert.

Ernie might’ve found the Figgy Fizz, but the Stewart’s came from me.