The Food Thread (Non Instagram Edition)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I mean, if I'm being perfectly honest, it was kind of a refreshing change of pace from the typical frumpy, middle-aged waitresses that a lot of restaurants seem to have around these parts.

But yeah, Hooters is an interesting case. Never been there for obvious reasons, however, I thought it was actually kind of intriguing to hear Rachael Ray once talk about Hooters being one of her favorite places, describing it as merely a "steakhouse."

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I was only there once, and the food was decent. But the main draw for a lot of guys was to see half-naked women serving them.
The same as back in the 70s they had a number one f Playboy clubs. Girls serving cocktails in sexy bunny outfits. You can look, but you can’t touch.
Hooters was like that times ten. The girls might get good tips, but you have all these ***** guys trying to put their hands on them, enduring catcalls, “Hey baby! You and me!”
Sometimes wives came just to make sure their husbands’ eyes don’t wander too far.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This . . . only looks partly good.

But, why smother the top of it with even more totamo sauce? I know there are some people who feel drowning a salad in too much dressing ruins it, but I think the same could be said with pizza: too much tomato sauce can ruin the whole pizza, and to see the sauce just dumped on top of the pizza is really killing the whole effect.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
There is something you can only find in Philly and Trenton, called a tomato pie. Maybe a sprinkle of cheese, but basically it’s crust and sauce.
Too much sauce, the pizza won’t bake well. It will ll either make the crust soggy or make a mess when you pull it out of the oven.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I find it weird that even Taco Bell, of all places, is jumping into the current chicken sandwich war now.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Okay, this barely qualifies as food, but… energy drinks.

The big guns today are Red Bull, Monster, and Rockstar.
Back in the 80s in my college days, there was this concoction called Jolt. Loved is like Pepsi, but ten times the sugar and caffeine.
Helped many students cramming for midterms and finals. I only tried it once and I was wired for two days. It got pulled off the market because it will shoot your blood pressure through the roof. Jolt made Red Bull look like dandelion tea.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
While we're on the subject of drinks, McDonald's has officially brought back their orange drink!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Way back when, that stuff was called “Bug Juice”. But I lived on it.
Basically orange corn syrup, but when you’re five, you don’t care.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One thing I remember we had when I was a little kid were things we called "barrel drinks." Granted, I don't think I ever knew what they were actually called on the packaging or anything, but basically, they were chugs of fruit-flavored drinks that came in plastic containers that were shaped and designed like rain barrels.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
We had those. They’ve been around forever. To me, they didn’t really taste like anything except colored water. But they were cheap.
You could freeze them and they’d taste slightly better, but it’s still colored ice.