The dark day of Valentines Day is upon us...

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Valentines in San Francisco? Cory I'm jealous lol. Any holiday in SFO is awesome X)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You've hit the nail on the head. They don't understand that, hey, if you can afford to live together, you can afford to get married. Maybe not the huge expansive fairy tale wedding everyone seems to think they need, but they can afford a simple wedding. Heck, I got married for under $1000.
Well, not necessarily... I mean yes, it IS possible to get married for a meager amount so-to-speak, but the problem is when it comes to wedding, most brides-to-be, like you say, insist on the huge expansive, fanciful fairy tale weddings and such, lol. In that case, it'd be cheaper for two people to simply split rent than it is to cover all that.
Um. I think these rants about young people "thinking love is just sex" is kind of a generalization.
They are a generalization, but you have to come to terms with reality, this is a lot of what's going on in today's society. I understand that there are young people like yourself who feel otherwise, which is a VERY good thing, but the sad thing is, young people like you, in this day and age, are one-in-a-million.
Happy Valentines Day! For those feeling bah-humbugged or feeling hopeless...hey, I didn't have a girlfriend til I was 26, so sometimes life is odd like that.
It ain't that I don't have a girlfriend, it's like I said, the girl I love is with another man. :smirk:

Puckrox

Reaction score
Valentine's Day is here. Grumble, grumble, grumble.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
brides-to-be, like you say, insist on the huge expansive, fanciful fairy tale weddings and such, lol.
Which I think during a recession is kinda irresponsible. Just my opinion. :wink:

but the sad thing is, young people like you, in this day and age, are one-in-a-million.
I don't know the stats of course, but I'm not sure bad behavior among young people is that insanely common. It's just that those young people are the ones who get the attention from the media and authority figures.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Which I think during a recession is kinda irresponsible. Just my opinion. :wink:
I've often though the same thing these past three years or so of people still dragging out their most extravagant Christmas decorations to display in their yards, thus, just adding up to their electric bills.

But, oddly enough, the recession has supposedly been over for a few months now, but it's like it hasn't even really taken effect until this year: hardly anybody decorated for Christmas at all this year, which was not only really odd, but kind of sad (both in a boo-hoo way, and a pathetic way).
I don't know the stats of course
I'm not saying there's actual stats, but rather, again I was generalizing that it's hard to find youngens like Puckrox, who have a sense of values and such, amongst the mayhem that most others are getting themselves into.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They are a generalization, but you have to come to terms with reality, this is a lot of what's going on in today's society. I understand that there are young people like yourself who feel otherwise, which is a VERY good thing, but the sad thing is, young people like you, in this day and age, are one-in-a-million.
It ain't that I don't have a girlfriend, it's like I said, the girl I love is with another man. :smirk:
That's an intense subject, so I'll leave you with a quote....

Remember the Bullwinkle Episode where Fearless Leader snuck into the country? And the narrator says "There are laws keeping you people out"

to which FL says "Rules only keep HONEST people out... if you're a crook, you sneak in anyway!"

It's like when a study found that people watching wrestling, they'd be more likely to be violent... and I'm like... if they're watching the stuff, doesn't it mean they're violent ANYWAY?

Fact of the matter is, there are people who are going to be like that no matter what. But let's not also forget that years and years ago, we lived to the ripe old age of 30 and had to marry at age 12. Something we never evolved from is that's when things... well, happen. The fact of the matter is, we may hold the fact that we built cities and have digital watches we're still ANIMALS (as opposed to vegetable or mineral).

There were ALWAYS those trouble kids that... well... you know. It doesn't matter how dirty rap lyrics are or how scantily clad someone is, or How I Met Your Mother's Barney Stinson being a role model... it just happens.]

Addiction is addiction is addiction. We're all searching for something that makes us feel good... or makes us THINK we feel good. Everything from over eating to shopping to drugs to alcohol even to sex. Some people have the will power to wait and sit and not eat/smoke/buy everything in sight, some don't.

All too often people don't know the difference between lust and love, meld the two, and just wind up using someone to fill a need. Some people search forever to find someone they have a spiritual connection with. The ones that do find that connection are usually happier than the ones that want satisfaction.

But let's not forget, there are people who live their entire lives NOT being able to find that someone, and they go nuts, and turn into the ones that want satisfaction, at least if they're going to be unhappy, they can feel satisfied. Then there are those people who just don't care, and are completely fine without being paired up.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
so I found this while not doing homework. Its funny

http://community.sparknotes.com/2011/02/10/slideshow-how-to-valentine

A warning though is that while there arent any bad words, there are some things that are a bit innapropriate
The site must be corrupt, because all it does is just keep shutting down my browser (funny how it's always these sites with those YouTube/Facebook-esque toolbars at the bottom of the window that do it).

But I like how they've turned the term "Valentine" into a verb.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This was posted while I was writing something else, so I might as well..

Short answer, perhaps, perhaps not.

Long answer: If you're paying for it with credit and using more credit to pay off credit YES indeedly doo. But if you have the money and can afford to do such a thing... well, why not? Remember, big fairy tale weddings mean you have to buy stuff FROM people. And nothing helps a recession out like giving money to small businesses that barely can stay afloat as it is. What do you need for these things... dresses, tuxedos, catering, cards, flowers... all that stuff? That's putting money into the pockets of smaller businesses that ARE hurting because less and less people can afford to get that stuff. It's like, you know how to save money you refrain from eating at restaurants? Well, for every buck you don't spend there is a fraction less that a waiter who's struggling just as hard gets. The less people eat there, the less need for wait staff, the less people working to buy stuff.

It's a paradox. The only way out of recession is for people to start spending, and they can't spend if they don't have money, but they can't get money is no one's spending.

As for irresponsible, it's far MORE irresponsible to hoard generous tax cut money and refuse to hire anyone all the while raising prices to make up for nothing. Which is why we're IN this situation. But you didn't hear it from me.